Shoutbox

Image Auto-Resize - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Image Auto-Resize (/showthread.php?tid=76876)

Image Auto-Resize by Nagamasa on 08-19-2007 at 12:14 PM

You know how sometimes certain people (ehem) have oversized pictures that ruin the layout of the post?

Well I am kindly suggesting that an admin could kindly code up an auto-resize tool, like the one already at Messenger Discovery forums, so that a) you'll need to do less work, b) saves you bandwidth and time, c) it makes it automatic so that we would not need to plug in so many numbers like img=380x780, and d) it's actually useful.

EDIT:

e) It also makes dimensions standardized, so there wont be any mess-ups for smaller screens.

RE: Image Auto-Resize by toddy on 08-19-2007 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CanadianHero
a) you'll need to do less work
like they do any atm :tongue:
quote:
b) saves you bandwidth and time, c) it makes it automatic so that we would not need to plug in so many numbers like img=380x780
stop been lazy
quote:
d) it's actually useful.
see above
RE: Image Auto-Resize by aNILEator on 08-19-2007 at 12:48 PM

but sometimes it's the text too

aaaaaaaaaaa<...>aaaaaaaaaaa

:(

RE: Image Auto-Resize by Nagamasa on 08-19-2007 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator

a...

Well let's worry about the more common thing first.
RE: Image Auto-Resize by toddy on 08-19-2007 at 01:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator

a...

Well let's worry about the more common thing first.
^o) at most it will be a couple posts a month, normally in the same thread, e.g. monthly desktops

so stop moaning, stop been so lazy, and just type the few extra letters (well numbers) to resize the pic yourself. it takes what, a second longer

RE: Image Auto-Resize by -dt- on 08-19-2007 at 01:29 PM

heh personally I dont think this is needed....

quote:
e) It also makes dimensions standardized, so there wont be any mess-ups for smaller screens.
and make the images tiny for people with large screens pft

the only decent way to do this would be with some sort of javascript which resizes the images dynamically based on the width of the browser
RE: Image Auto-Resize by absorbation on 08-19-2007 at 01:35 PM

You could easily wrap the text with wordwrap();, images would be much more difficult :P.

RE: Image Auto-Resize by Spunky on 08-23-2007 at 01:29 AM

If you use scripting to resize pictures, doesn't it still have to load the WHOLE picture anyway and then take time to shrink it down? How does that save bandwidth OR time?

[img=300x200]pic.png[/img]

Not hard is it?

RE: Image Auto-Resize by -dt- on 08-23-2007 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
If you use scripting to resize pictures, doesn't it still have to load the WHOLE picture anyway and then take time to shrink it down? How does that save bandwidth OR time?

Not hard is it?
that doesnt save bandwidth either....
RE: Image Auto-Resize by Spunky on 08-23-2007 at 01:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff

Not hard is it?
that doesnt save bandwidth either....

Because that is already using the javascript resize that he wants, but it needs to be BBCode to prevent malicious-ness :p So why add it again?

RE: Image Auto-Resize by Lou on 08-23-2007 at 02:55 AM

You know, imageshack has a resize feature already. Just use that, and quit trying to get the forums to have absolutely everything.

RE: Image Auto-Resize by Mike on 08-26-2007 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
and make the images tiny for people with large screens pft
IPB decides to resize an image depending on the user's resolution. Example, when I'm viewing a post that contains images on a IPB forum using my mobile phone (resolution: 240x320), a 320x240 picture gets resized (and of course, I can click it to view the full size image), but when I'm viewing the same post using my computer, the image doesn't get resized.