Shoutbox

Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? (/showthread.php?tid=76917)

Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by matty on 08-21-2007 at 06:53 PM

Ok so for everyone who has used both. Which do you recommend? I have used both and although Microsoft improved Media Center within Windows Vista it still seems like its not quite there yet.

Now the reason why I am asking is in our basement I had an old computer (well not old I built it a few years ago) and it usually just sits there and I turn it on when I need to backup data or grab software from it etc. And to be honest it was simply taking up room with a desk and a 17" monitor. So I carted the desk and monitor up to the guest room where my moms computer is and hooked everything up there (it was taking up room in the basement). So I have a big screen TV and an entertainment unit surrounding it and I decided what the hell I will make a media center box out of it. So I picked up a Wireless keyboard and Mouse combo, the only thing left to get is a video card with DVI out (the spare one I have has a dieing fan so I will get a new one for 80 bucks!) a DVD Burner and cabling to connect it to the 5.1 receiver.

So I just wanted everyones opinion on should I put Windows Media Center or Windows Vista Ultimate on?

And don't just say Vista because its better or nicer give me hard facts why I should do it and come the next few weeks, if I can get the data off onto my laptop I wish to keep for after the reformat I will take pictures (when the camera comes back from repair... dodgy Canon and their bad lenses).

Just so no one misses this here are the specs:

quote:
CPU: P4 2.4GHz
RAM: 768Mb (Could be upgraded)
HDD: 2x120Gb Drives
Audio: Soundblaster Live 5.1
Video: ATI Radeon 9800Pro
Motherboard: Asus P4P800

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by Knucks on 08-21-2007 at 07:07 PM

Vista Ultimate and an old box doesn't seem to go well together, with XP MCE, you're less than likely to come across something bad.

Just my 2 cents.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by matty on 08-21-2007 at 07:13 PM

P4 2.4GHz

By saying it is old, I didn't mean its something shitty by any means.

Feel free to change your vote now that you know the specs lol.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by Knucks on 08-21-2007 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
P4 2.4GHz

Ahhh, well I used to run Vista Ultimate on the same amount of RAM with a Celeron D 2.93GHz and it ran *ok* Because of this I would say go with Vista Ultimate now and I would definately recommend upgrading the RAM if you can, other than that, good "old" box lol.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by absorbation on 08-21-2007 at 07:41 PM

Media Centre is pretty much a theme and a program that has so many limitations because it only supports other Microsoft formats and services. I would get Vista :).

Also Vista works a lot better with TV monitors, it handles resolution changes perfectly. On XP I lost screen display on my laptop many times which was frustrating.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by matty on 08-21-2007 at 07:46 PM

Well the TV would be a permanent display. I have actually started the transition the PC is nicely situated in the entertainment center. As I said previously I will take pictures when the camera comes back.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by saralk on 08-21-2007 at 08:12 PM

If the computer can run Vista well, then go for Ultimate. Ultimate has media centre software built in and apparantly the Media Centre in vista is a massive improvement over XP.

Also, if you mainly want media centre, why not just go for Home Premium and get yourself something pretty with the money you saved?

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by Oxy on 08-21-2007 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
If the computer can run Vista well, then go for Ultimate.
Agreed.
RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by matty on 08-21-2007 at 08:21 PM

I have the RTM Copy of Vista, had it before it was in stores. It has every version of Vista without the requirement of a CD Key when installing. Obviously I can get a CD Key for which ever version I choose to install from a friend who's cousin works at Microsoft. CD Key for $80 wh00p wh00p :P.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by ShawnZ on 08-21-2007 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Media Centre is pretty much a theme and a program that has so many limitations because it only supports other Microsoft formats and services. I would get Vista :).

Also Vista works a lot better with TV monitors, it handles resolution changes perfectly. On XP I lost screen display on my laptop many times which was frustrating.

err, you know what media center edition is, right? and you *do* know that ultimate is the 'media center edition' of vista, right?
RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by absorbation on 08-21-2007 at 11:35 PM

Yeh ShawnZ, I've had both installed on my laptop before. Media Edition on Vista Home Premium and above is not speculator, then again neither is it on XP Media Centre Edition. I've also pointed out Vista works a lot better with external monitors, and a charm with my TV.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by Verte on 08-22-2007 at 01:14 AM

Even better!

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by ShawnZ on 08-22-2007 at 01:17 AM

mythtv isn't an operating system.. :p

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by matty on 08-22-2007 at 03:48 AM

I took the leap and tossed Vista Ultimate on... looks like I have some upgrading to do... Somehow it came back with a 1.0 rating which is odd because last time I did it was a 2.5 or something like that... who knows.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by -dt- on 08-22-2007 at 04:46 AM

quote:
I took the leap and tossed Vista Ultimate on... looks like I have some upgrading to do... Somehow it came back with a 1.0 rating which is odd because last time I did it was a 2.5 or something like that... who knows.
does it matter?, its just going to run wmc :-/
RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by ddunk on 08-22-2007 at 04:48 AM

quote:
yay for arbitrary numbers.
RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by absorbation on 08-22-2007 at 10:28 AM

The number takes the lowest rating number. You may just have one weak feature of your computer :P.

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by andrewdodd13 on 08-22-2007 at 10:50 AM

Probably not got the ATi drivers working properly? It displays 1.0 if there's no way to benchmark 3d performance. (For the crappy rating)

I would've said get Home Premium as well, since atm, there's nothing amazing about Ultimate. (My Home Premium has Dream Scene, and it kinda sucks anyway :P). Except that yer getting it for the same price, so it doesn't really matter. :)

Home Premium has Media Centre, contrary to what Shawnz said. (At least I hope it's supposed to, since I have it).

XP Media Centre is the suck... the only good thing about that entire "upgrade" is the Royale theme is a bit nicer. But I have it on XP SP2 "normal" anyway. :)

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by foaly on 08-22-2007 at 11:32 AM

Hmm seems I´m the only one voting for XP media centre...
Vista can seriously lag your movies if your specs arent high enough...
and it seems to me those specs are pushing it...

RE: Vista Ultimate or Windows Media Center?!? by joemailey on 08-23-2007 at 08:12 AM

Windows vista ultimate along with Transcode 360 (y)

and you have a media center that plays what ever you want.

:)

http://transcode360.co.uk/