Shoutbox

How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? (/showthread.php?tid=77048)

How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by Gulliver_69 on 08-27-2007 at 07:33 PM

Hi, and sorry for my poor english.
I'm an italian user and I'm searching for a useful trick.
I would to know if you can add the following feature to your great MSGplusLive: the possibility to modify the path of "messengercache" directory. It's normally posted into the %TEMP% directory but I would to change it because when i empty the TEMP dir I lost all the MSN cache. I've searched into the Windows' registry but I haven't found any KEY about this.
The logical reason is that the path above is stored into the executable or, eventually, into some DLL.
There's a workaround?
I've found another useful suggestion, reading this forum: the ability to make MSGPlusLive capable to create automatically a different user's directory, because i don't want to have a merged log with different usernames.
Thanx.

RE: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by Gulliver_69 on 08-28-2007 at 06:48 PM

:type:

UP!!

:o)

RE: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by ShawnZ on 08-28-2007 at 06:56 PM

why would you empty the temp dir?

RE: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by Gulliver_69 on 08-28-2007 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

I can't explain all the reasons of my choice. Basically it's a question of security and of HDD space recovering. Also i use some optimization softwares that want to empty the HDD from unuseful files (logs, duplicate, temp files, etc...): these programs don't permits the choice of subfolders to delete.

RE: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by matty on 08-28-2007 at 07:21 PM

You cannot change the MessengerCache location. Unless you patch the memory address or the EXE to point to a different location. This isn't something Messenger Plus! Live will ever let you do.

RE: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by Gulliver_69 on 07-15-2008 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

Hmmm...
Any news about this little question?!?
RE: How to Change the "MessengerCache" PATH?!? by MeEtc on 07-15-2008 at 04:31 PM

MessengerCache will always be created in the %TEMP% directory. Unless you want to try and modify the executable and/or dll files for messenger itself, it will always be this way.