Shoutbox

When scripts are being big? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: When scripts are being big? (/showthread.php?tid=77049)

When scripts are being big? by Drakal on 08-27-2007 at 07:33 PM

when are scripts starting to count as big,normal,small,tiny and so?
is it for how many lines the script has or the size of the script?

Edit: I have a "big" script now:D 1200 lines and it can do many stuffs and i working on the interface, the menu is overfilled with submenus and items:P

RE: When scripts are being big? by absorbation on 08-27-2007 at 08:41 PM

I'm sorry but I don't understand anything about your question. Could you explain further :)?

RE: When scripts are being big? by markee on 08-27-2007 at 10:58 PM

There isn't really a set of rules for deciding if a script is big or small or whatever but a couple of points to look at are the amount of code, the file size and the amount of features as well as the quality of the whole script (as in have they explored a lot of different avenues that are possible to go along with that whole idea).

Defining a script's size is not really important by any means, but for examples, the likes of Screenshot Sender, Message Customizer! Live and Now Playing are 3 big scripts as they all use interfaces to help with their many features and they all are quite large pieces of code.

Tiny and small script are the kinds of things that I just write to do a couple of small things to help me out, they usually consist of a couple of lines of code with no interfaces, just something simple to get the job done.

If you want any more information then just ask, this stuff really isnt important when it comes to scripts, it is more the features they offer and the quality of the code that the developer writes.

RE: When scripts are being big? by Matti on 08-28-2007 at 08:48 AM

It actually doesn't really matter if a script is big or tiny to make it successful.

For example, the MsgHelp PM Notifier is a small script which notifies you of new personal messages on these forums. I always have it turned on because I like what it does and it simply does what it's supposed to do very well.

Most of the time, you start off with a small script which can do one thing, but as you spend more time developing it, you're going to find yourself in need to add new interfaces to extend the features, expand the script functionalities and thus you'll get a "big" script, such as Screenshot Sender. Screenshot Sender started as a Plus! 3 plug-in which could take and send screenshots, but now the Plus! Live script can also save them, take screenshots of a selected area and browse through all of your screenshots. It's still a screenshot sender, but it got extended with more related, handy features. If it would still have been a simple take-and-send script, I'd still use it because it works great, but the developers felt like it was almost necessary to add more functionality, and now it became one of the best scripts around and even won the Plus! scripting contest.

Or just to keep it short: a script doesn't need to be big to be a good one, but if you feel like you can extend it with nifty features, try it. You can only gain from it, you have really nothing to lose! :)

RE: When scripts are being big? by Drakal on 08-28-2007 at 02:52 PM

i know that it is the functionality that counts... but i now i know that if screenshot sender and these are "big" so now i know that(already know that). Hm.. if a good interface is important so should i start working on it xD have only and easy terrible interface :P

(i wanted to know when a script starting to be "big" so i could feel good when i got a "big script", will now add better interface with some pictures :) have i great script that can do many stuffs but all interface is on test no one is finished:P)

and sorry my english :P

RE: When scripts are being big? by MeEtc on 08-28-2007 at 04:57 PM

if you get more than 1000 people to use it, then I'll call it a 'big' script

RE: When scripts are being big? by Nathan on 08-28-2007 at 05:27 PM

hahah

all of my scripts have been downloaded more than 1000 times WOO :P

RE: When scripts are being big? by Menthix on 08-28-2007 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
if you get more than 1000 people to use it, then I'll call it a 'big' script
Yay, so just 8 out of 298 scripts on the DB are small :D
http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/by-downloads/page15/
RE: When scripts are being big? by MeEtc on 08-28-2007 at 06:05 PM

well, think about all the other scripts in the forum that were never posted.
I guess I should change that estimate, maybe to 30 000?

RE: When scripts are being big? by matty on 08-28-2007 at 06:34 PM

That isn't a usable statistic. Person A reformats their computer and requires to redownload the scripts they once used. They download the same one again. So technically the script is only being downloaded once by the same person not twice as it has led you to believe.

RE: When scripts are being big? by markee on 08-29-2007 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
well, think about all the other scripts in the forum that were never posted.
I guess I should change that estimate, maybe to 30 000?
30,000 really isnt much.  I have over 3,000 downloads of MC!L in the thread alone.  I don't think you can really use that for determining a 'big' script, it is better for determining a popular script.
RE: When scripts are being big? by -dt- on 08-29-2007 at 04:46 AM

Now Playing:
Downloads: 171000

\o/

---------------

Anyway downloads dont make a script "big" it just means it popular, the amount of code + features + stuff = how big the script is :P