Shoutbox

computer tv hook up situation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: computer tv hook up situation (/showthread.php?tid=77156)

Computer To TV by Hybrid on 08-31-2007 at 07:25 AM

I'm interested in hooking up my computer to my TV to use it as a PC monitor but I was told doing so could damage the TV itself, I assume it would be from uneccissary strains on the TV from stuff like video games. But I know nothing so can someone lend some advice? I don't want to burn images into my television :S

RE: Computer To TV by joemailey on 08-31-2007 at 08:28 AM

Plasma TV's will suffer from urn in. I'm guessing probably because your desktop background is a static image and doesn't change also burn in from your desktop icon's.

LCD TV's won't suffer that much.

Normal TV's will be fine.

So what type of TV  you got LCD, Plama, CRT type tv?

RE: Computer To TV by TheSteve on 08-31-2007 at 10:34 AM

If you're looking to hook up a normal TV for normal use, I would recommend against it simply because a normal TV's resolution is awful. If you want to try anyways (It's nice to play games or watch movies on the TV), your TV will either need to support a kind of video mode supported by your computer's video card.  Various connections exist, for example: standard RGB (normal monitor cable), S-Video, HDMI.  Do some research about which types of video input/output your computer and TV support.

RE: Computer To TV by Hybrid on 08-31-2007 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
Plasma TV's will suffer from urn in. I'm guessing probably because your desktop background is a static image and doesn't change also burn in from your desktop icon's.

LCD TV's won't suffer that much.

Normal TV's will be fine.

So what type of TV  you got LCD, Plama, CRT type tv?

I have a LCD TV, so how badly will it be damaged? Because it's a fairly new TV and I don't want to break it.

quote:
Originally posted by TheSteve
If you're looking to hook up a normal TV for normal use, I would recommend against it simply because a normal TV's resolution is awful. If you want to try anyways (It's nice to play games or watch movies on the TV), your TV will either need to support a kind of video mode supported by your computer's video card.  Various connections exist, for example: standard RGB (normal monitor cable), S-Video, HDMI.  Do some research about which types of video input/output your computer and TV support.

Yeah the only hook up I have is the VGA RGB input on both my TV and laptop so I figure I'll buy a double male VGA cable.
RE: Computer To TV by kao on 08-31-2007 at 05:44 PM

If it's an LCD it will be fine just try not to leave it on when you're not doing anything but i doub't you'll notice burn unless you leave it on a lot with stuff in the same place.

VGA cable and set the resolution (probably 1366x720 if it's a 720p/1080i HD LCD)

RE: Computer To TV by ShawnZ on 08-31-2007 at 08:25 PM

it won't *damage* your tv, it just might burn your wallpaper in to your screen.

RE: Computer To TV by Voldemort on 08-31-2007 at 11:46 PM

just get a screensaver or turn it off when not in use.

computer tv hook up situation by Hybrid on 09-01-2007 at 05:45 AM

Sorry for posting this guys, really i am.  But im having trouble i got both a vga and s video cable attached to my tv but it keeps saying "no supported timing" can someone tell me what this means? I pressed the RGB button on my remote control which i think is the only way to the computer.

RE: computer tv hook up situation by ryxdp on 09-01-2007 at 08:13 AM

If your Graphics card has an S-Vid output, use it. It doesn't look like the VGA is working.
If the TV has an "AV" button on it somewhere, press it a few times to make sure it's not on the wrong input.

RE: computer tv hook up situation by surfichris on 09-01-2007 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
If your Graphics card has an S-Vid output, use it. It doesn't look like the VGA is working.
If the TV has an "AV" button on it somewhere, press it a few times to make sure it's not on the wrong input.
:wtf:
quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid
Sorry for posting this guys, really i am.  But im having trouble i got both a vga and s video cable attached to my tv but it keeps saying "no supported timing" can someone tell me what this means?
Generally it means the resolution you currently have set is either too high or low and not supported by the TV - either that or the refresh rate settings are too high/low.

If you have the manual for your TV, most recent manuals include resolution information on supported resolutions for the monitor - take a look at that.

Try reducing the resolution settings and see if that fixes it. If not, there are a few other things you can try.
RE: RE: computer tv hook up situation by ryxdp on 09-01-2007 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

That's what it's like on my TV :(
RE: computer tv hook up situation by Verte on 09-02-2007 at 03:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid
i got both a vga and s video cable attached to my tv

I don't mean to sound silly, but have you tried just connecting one?
RE: Computer To TV by rav0 on 09-05-2007 at 07:06 AM

LCDs don't burn in. Some types of LCD screens have a defferent kind of image retention, but it's temporary only, and appears only faintly.

Since your TV is an LCD, there is a good chance that it has a higher resolution than a regular TV, especially since it's got a computer input. Some LCD screens have non-square pixels, (these are requires by most computers to produce a proper image, or else its stretched wierd) but again since it has computer input it probably has square pixels.

Regular monitor cable seems to be your best connection option. Once it's physically connected, how it will behave by default is uncertain, but it can then be configured to work how you want.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

That's what it's like on my TV :(

Yep, but Hybrid hasn't gotten that far, the computer is unable to find a format to send the video in that the TV will support, not the TV is recieving the video but just displaying the wrong input.