Shoutbox

Keyboard and Mouse? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Keyboard and Mouse? (/showthread.php?tid=77279)

Keyboard and Mouse? by Chris4 on 09-06-2007 at 10:23 AM

Hey,

I need to get a keyboard and mouse but don't know what to get.

I like the looks of this mouse (Trust GM-4200 USB Gamer Optical Mouse)
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=10357

[Image: Trust_GM-4200.jpg]

I like that mouse because it has buttons on the side which I can configure to go back/forward on Internet Explorer/Firefox which saves time. I have the downgrade of that mouse (MI-2500X) but I'd like something a bit better.

But could anyone recommend me a keyboard/mouse ? Is your keyboard/mouse good?

I could really do with a keyboard that is quiet because when I'm typing late at night my family get annoyed because the keyboard is loud. I'd appreciate if your keyboard isn't loud then reccomend it to me :tongue:.

Oh and nothing too expensive please :P

Thanks!!! :grin:

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by toddy on 09-06-2007 at 10:45 AM

something wrong with your last thread about buying computer hardware..........

its here Building a custom pc incase you can't find it

as for the mouse n keyboard. find one you like the look of and buy it :rolleyes:

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Oxy on 09-06-2007 at 04:45 PM

Wired mouse ftl.

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by toddy on 09-06-2007 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
Wired mouse ftl.
wired mouse FTW, doesn't eat its way through batteries. plus your on a desktop, wired is fine
RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by albert on 09-06-2007 at 10:23 PM

I love my logitech MX revolution. (Althought I am highly looking to get the up-coming logitech VX nano).

As for the keyboard, although I own a dinovo edge, I do not suggest it to you, even if I got it half price, other than the good looks and the rechargable battery, not very much worth it.

Try and check out the Logitech WAVE, it looks pretty cool, and should't be that expensive.

Oh, and yes, I am a logitech fanatic. =P

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by rav0 on 09-07-2007 at 09:34 AM

I've noticed that keyboards built into laptops are quiet. You might want to consider a slim or portable keyboard that has similar keys to a laptop keyboard for quietness.

FYI; My Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard isn't very quiet, but is nowhere near as loud as the Optima and IBM keyboards at my school.

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Kenji on 09-07-2007 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
FYI; My Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard isn't very quiet, but is nowhere near as loud as the Optima and IBM keyboards at my school.
I have the same one, It isn't quiet but the batteries last for ever in these things.

If you want a quiet keyboard get something like this. :P
RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Verte on 09-07-2007 at 09:59 AM

A lot of dashslotters seem to rave about those Kensington expert mice. Their trackballs look nice too. I think they are pricey, though.

I think my modes of preference have typically gone tablet > thinkpad clitmouse > trackball [esp. for FPS] > anything else, as long as it is wired and optical. At that low end, you have a lot of options, and not much separating them at all. If you're a heavy mouse user, invest some money in a quality pointing device, your wrist will thank you! Otherwise, you usually just want something that is comfortable and works.

I'm pretty boring as far as keyboards go, I hate all those useless extra buttons keyboard manufacturers stick up the top, cluttering things up. Add to that, desktop keyboards ALL have too much travel, and include that "Num Pad" [does anyone actually use that thing?], and miss out on useful features like META, SUPER and HYPER keys, for example. I think, until cheap Art Lebedev Studio Optimus Maximus clones hit the market [ten years, if ya lucky], the best looking option might be to hack an ordinary keyboard.

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by rav0 on 09-07-2007 at 10:10 AM

I use the num pad and always hesitate when i have to type numbers on a keyboard that doesn't have one. I use non on the extra keys on my keyboard except the media keys and calculator key (all keyboards should have this, I end up pressing a non-existant button at school). I've never had "features like META, SUPER and HYPER keys" so I don't miss them and wouldn't consider them useful (unless I had had them for a while and gotten used to them).

RE: RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Verte on 09-07-2007 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I use the num pad and always hesitate when i have to type numbers on a keyboard that doesn't have one. I use non on the extra keys on my keyboard except the media keys and calculator key (all keyboards should have this, I end up pressing a non-existant button at school). I've never had "features like META, SUPER and HYPER keys" so I don't miss them and wouldn't consider them useful (unless I had had them for a while and gotten used to them).

The num pad is pretty fast. I think I'd be at a bit of a loss if I were doing data entry or something.

Otherwise, that you've got to take your hand off the home position to use them makes up for that speed, if you're inputing both text and numbers.

I know Windows can bind keys globally to a running application, but that certainly isn't customisable from the users point of view [neither is it in X, sadly], as it is in applescript. And unfortunately, Windows global key binding is limited to running applications, though you could use a daemon if you wanted to start something else.

What I'm getting at is, you could bind a key combination to open the calculator, if you had a spare key combination that applications are unlikely to use. And, if you had extra combination keys, like META, you could do it. Without the clutter of an extra row of keys.

By the way, did you check out the links? Especially the steampunk mod. That is one awesome keyboard.

PS. space cadet keyboard
RE: RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Phillip on 09-07-2007 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
I love my logitech MX revolution. (Althought I am highly looking to get the up-coming logitech VX nano).
Wow that VX Nano is one nice mouse..!
RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Chris4 on 09-08-2007 at 01:07 AM

Think I'm going to go with the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/96790

Nothing too fancy, it's quiet, it's not expensive and its a lot better then a standard keyboard :P

As for the mouse, I'll stick with the one I said in my first post :)

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by roflmao456 on 09-08-2007 at 01:51 AM

use the mac keyboards, it works on PCs and it's quiet

but it's heavy as hell

my friend has a nice mouse that's really quiet, but i never got the brand/name of it :tongue:

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by vaccination on 09-08-2007 at 01:11 PM

Well I love my G15. But it ain't that quiet :P

RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Mike on 09-08-2007 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Curved keyboards suck IMO. They are too hard to get used to.
RE: RE: Keyboard and Mouse? by Chris4 on 09-08-2007 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Curved keyboards suck IMO. They are too hard to get used to.
Hmm, I read a few reviews and they said they got use to it. I'll give it a go anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
use the mac keyboards, it works on PCs and it's quiet

but it's heavy as hell

my friend has a nice mouse that's really quiet, but i never got the brand/name of it :tongue:
mac keyboard might look a little weird with my computer :tongue: