Shoutbox

Compatibility is a sweet thing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Compatibility is a sweet thing (/showthread.php?tid=77288)

Compatibility is a sweet thing by Patchou on 09-06-2007 at 06:27 PM

Hello,

yesterday, Microsoft released a new beta version of Messenger labelled "version 2008". Despite the lack of beta tags in this version, Microsoft insists that Messenger 8.5 is still in beta stage so no, this is not a final version. In fact, since the release, everything I've read about the new beta is criticism and I personally can't praise their new setup system. But still, a new version is a new version and Messenger Plus! got to be compatible with it.

The good news: you won't have to upgrade your Plus!, version 4.23 is still entirely compatible with the new Messenger. I'm continuing to work on the next big update which should be released sometime in October. Maybe then I'll follow the trend and release a brand new install suite for 32bit systems only ;).

Patchou

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Matti on 09-06-2007 at 06:28 PM

Blah, Microsoft. :tongue: First they want to release Windows 7.0 for 64-bit systems only, and now this. I still stick with my Windows Aero Messenger 8.1 skin. :)

Keep up the programming! ;)

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by absorbation on 09-06-2007 at 06:30 PM

Great to hear, I can't help but feel this update for Windows Live Messenger was a little useless.

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by vaccination on 09-06-2007 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Great to hear, I can't help but feel this update for Windows Live Messenger was a little useless.
indeed.

And good God that installer is useless ¬___¬
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Oxy on 09-06-2007 at 07:02 PM

Great news.

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Rolando on 09-06-2007 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
indeed.

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by warmth on 09-06-2007 at 07:12 PM

jajajajaja... please release it!!! and then send one of your friends to make a post of how to install it in 64 bits ;)!!!

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Bionic on 09-06-2007 at 08:36 PM

Good news! :)

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by prashker on 09-06-2007 at 08:52 PM

I demand Microsoft to pay us to test their products :(.

Keep up the good work Patch :p.

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Chris4 on 09-06-2007 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Keep up the good work Patch :P

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Nagamasa on 09-06-2007 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

Yea lol...and uninformative...I was like wtf? when I first saw it...
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by ahmetgns on 09-06-2007 at 10:04 PM

When I saw that installer, I liked it. I can't understand really what the problem with that is.

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Dragunov on 09-06-2007 at 10:04 PM

Well I love the new installer and Messenger, but they better give it 64-bit support already (in final version there is gonna be a 64-bit installer) and the possibiliy to download the different programs seperately, so without the unified installer

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Menthix on 09-06-2007 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dragunov
in final version there is gonna be a 64-bit installer) and the possibiliy to download the different programs seperately, so without the unified installer
Where did you hear that (just curious)?
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Voldemort on 09-06-2007 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
When I saw that installer, I liked it. I can't understand really what the problem with that is.
Yeah, pretty much everything is the other way around for you...
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Baggins on 09-07-2007 at 12:47 AM

pfft.

dodgy microsoft. :dodgy:

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by aNILEator on 09-07-2007 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Maybe then I'll follow the trend and release a brand new install suite for 32bit systems only ;)

NOOOOO you whore! :P

TBH messenger being the resource hogging beast might actually need to go 64bit soon 8-)

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by markee on 09-07-2007 at 08:12 AM

Well I'm glad that this was one release that I was a bit slow with.  My hard drive is way too slow (stupid laptop) so if it is taking other people ages to install then it's not worth me doing it.  I'm sure the messenger team is copping enough flack about this that they are going to have to do something about it and I'll just keep my 8.5B1 until that time.

Can anyone explain to me why Messenger is so bloated anyway? like I do understand that it has a lot of features just sitting there doing nothing but they can just be waiting in separate DLLs which aren't even loaded?  I know it might mean that the nudge might take 0.01 of a second longer to start a nudge or something like that, but isn't it better to have less memory hogged so that you can actually afford the nice looking interfaces on machines on the lower end of the scale of the minimum system requirements.  Just my 2 cents on it all.

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Menthix on 09-07-2007 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Can anyone explain to me why Messenger is so bloated anyway?
It's an IM client created by a big commercial company... it just IS bloated.
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by markee on 09-07-2007 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by markee
Can anyone explain to me why Messenger is so bloated anyway?
It's an IM client created by a big commercial company... it just IS bloated.
Well that's not a good enough reason IMHO.  Because they are a big company, they should have more optimized code because they have more resources.  I know that everyone's code can be optimised, you just have to look at any thread in the scripts forum to find a script that has been criticized for how it goes about something or the script itself can be optimised further but no-one has said anything.

I can understand them adding in other optional feature/programs, but why can't they then use the resources of the other, more specialized program when it comes o checking emails or something.  I seriously don't understand how there is such little integration and lateral thinking in such a large, powerful and resource rich company.
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Eddie on 09-07-2007 at 08:54 AM

Thanks Patch :)

quote:
;)

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Oxy on 09-07-2007 at 04:39 PM

Transparency doesn't work btw... (I've only tried on the contact list too)

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Sunshine on 09-07-2007 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
Transparency doesn't work btw... (I've only tried on the contact list too)
Works here, you better check your scripts (f.e. Messenger Plus! Live Enhancer might interfere).
RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Oxy on 09-07-2007 at 05:43 PM

Comdom++
Crazytext
File trasnfer plus 1.1
Love test
Now playing
Your Mom!

Should anyone of them really interfere with it? :undecided:

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by *Saint* on 09-08-2007 at 03:15 AM

Another little thing is when you type (!VER) it will give the wrong version of Windows Live Messenger. I get 8.5.0816 when it actually is 8.5.1228. (Or version 2008 if you want...)

[Image: untitled11mc7.th.jpg]

RE: Compatibility is a sweet thing by Sunshine on 09-08-2007 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas
Comdom++
Crazytext
File trasnfer plus 1.1
Love test
Now playing
Your Mom!

Should anyone of them really interfere with it? :undecided:
Can't tell till you try without them. It could even be another add-on or a patch causing it...but scripts are the first to look at when things don't work. The only script in your list that i have too is Now Playing (ver 1.3.2).