Shoutbox

Contact information lost - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Contact information lost (/showthread.php?tid=77419)

Contact information lost by smotala1 on 09-13-2007 at 12:59 AM

The reason i installed msn live "plus" is because i used to use msn 7.5 with plus until they said i had to install windows messenger live in order to continue using msn. But i had important information saved under 'contact information' in 7.5 and MSN would not let me access it so i can atleast save it elsewhere ..So in being forced to install windows live, i tried to install windows live plus hoping my information will still be there ..but in the new windows live plus under contact information..there isnt even a 'personal notes' section.. there is just..event information for the certain individual..and yeah.. so now all my information is lost. what can i do?

RE: Contact information lost by 2haerim on 09-13-2007 at 01:53 AM

Hi

Just today, I've experienced exactly the same thing here on my PC.

I was using MSN 7.5 until yesterday, and suddenly today was forced to install Windows Live Messenger.  I had no choice but to install it.  So, did I.

Then I logined using the new Windows Live Messenger, but all the contact information such as nicknames are gone.

I have so many people in my MSN so I always renamed them to easily identify.

How can I restore all the rename information.

Please help.

HaeRim

RE: Contact information lost by JaCe88 on 09-13-2007 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smotala1
The reason i installed msn live "plus" is because i used to use msn 7.5 with plus until they said i had to install windows messenger live in order to continue using msn. But i had important information saved under 'contact information' in 7.5 and MSN would not let me access it so i can atleast save it elsewhere ..So in being forced to install windows live, i tried to install windows live plus hoping my information will still be there ..but in the new windows live plus under contact information..there isnt even a 'personal notes' section.. there is just..event information for the certain individual..and yeah.. so now all my information is lost. what can i do?

OMG I am in the exact same dilemma as you. I renamed my clients to their respective names and companies; and now I have absolutely NFI who anyone will be ><
RE: Contact information lost by Nayelianne on 09-13-2007 at 03:28 AM

I've got the same problem.

Even if I could only retrieve that information as .txts it would already help.
But as it is, I simply can't tell who half of my contact list is. And I dislike the use of the Rename Contact feature (and it wouldn't really be of much help in my case).

I have over 380 contacts, so even with the rename contact feature being used I probably would still forget some people and things like "where I met such person" and etc. (In fact, I even had things like phone numbers marked in the Contact Information area, since it was an easy and practical way to organize the information for me).

I'd really appreciate if someone could help us with this.

RE: Contact information lost by smotala1 on 09-13-2007 at 05:22 AM

**CLEARLYYYYYY* windows live messenger sucks. 7.5 seems liek it had more features. and okay the plus is missing half of what its supposed to have. i like, uninstalled and installed so many older versions of msn, ANY version but 8 and none of them worked. ugh.

RE: Contact information lost by MattyRid on 09-13-2007 at 05:32 AM

Contact Rename features from Messenger Plus! Versions gone by have be removed from Messenger Plus! Live as Windows Live Messenger itself has this feature and no you can not get the information from Plus! to Live Messenger.

More info:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=61120

RE: Contact information lost by AceyUnLtd on 09-13-2007 at 05:38 AM

Have you tried this smotala1?

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
to stop the update read here
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=22548&view=findpost&p=169707

Keep in mind you should completly remove WLM 8.1 first before you try that suggestion.

If that trick does work you might want to try and copy all the info if you wind up going to WLM 8.1 again.

Hooray!!! I GOT IT BACK! by 2haerim on 09-13-2007 at 06:19 AM

I uninstalled WLM completely and reinstalled MSN 7.5.  Then Messenger Plus 3.

That recovered perfectly now.

HaeRim

RE: Contact information lost by The_M on 09-13-2007 at 06:39 AM

...I too had the same annoying issue since being FORCED to update to WLM8.1...

...PLUS, I found my Contacts List doubles in size...!!!

...not sure if the 2 issues are inter-related...???

...on another note, and possibly not directly linked to MP!, but my latest emoticons have all disappeared...:(
...and the residual old ones have reverted back to their original shortcut keys...:((

...any suggestions anyone...???

M.

RE: Contact information lost by Nayelianne on 09-13-2007 at 09:53 AM

Thanks a lot, AceyUnLtd! =D I was able to sign in on MSN 7.5 with that.

Would anyone know in which file Plus stores that kind of contact information? (It would probably be easier if it were all in a file instead of copying it one by one)

RE: RE: Contact information lost by JaCe88 on 09-13-2007 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nayelianne
Thanks a lot, AceyUnLtd! =D I was able to sign in on MSN 7.5 with that.

Would anyone know in which file Plus stores that kind of contact information? (It would probably be easier if it were all in a file instead of copying it one by one)

I'm also waiting for this. I'm sure it won't be hard for Patchou if he has time to PLEASE do something about it.

I know it's probably very difficult to get the settings to work in WLM and so on; but could you at least make an easy to use script which exports all our contact details (or at least their RENAMED contact name) to a text file or something so we can manually input it into WLM's nickname feature?

Please please please =]
RE: Contact information lost by smotala1 on 09-13-2007 at 04:29 PM

YAYYYYYYY i got my stuff back =) ACEY UNLTD, U ARE GOD !!!!! thank you for the link, i am so glad i dont have to be stuck with that WML garbage, anyway guess whatt..i figured how to get rid of the annoying hundred years ago msn icon in the taskbar and i got the normal one..all u have to do is under "compatibility" dont select windows 2000 but select windows server 2003 (service pack 1) and run the program that way. =) whoever knew i cud figure out computer stuffy.

RE: Contact information lost by darthziv on 09-20-2007 at 01:31 PM

It seems to me EVERYONE had that problem.
Speaking as a high-tech worker, that means the product is not working properly.
If you release a new version, the minimal thing you have to do is give the clients their info, or at least a way of retrieiving it.
Because i used m-p3 i cant use my MSN anymore (because the emails addresses are'nt telling me a thing. I had names for everyone) and worse than that, lost important data on every one i'm in contact with.
So maybe adding it manualy sucks, but at least give us that.
even a program that will translate it into a file we can look at to add it back our selves.

Just because MSN can do that, doesnt mean you were suppose to block our data from us.
Give your clients the minimum you can do, we just want our MSN back....

RE: RE: Contact information lost by nikosATH on 09-22-2007 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by darthziv
It seems to me EVERYONE had that problem.
Speaking as a high-tech worker, that means the product is not working properly.
If you release a new version, the minimal thing you have to do is give the clients their info, or at least a way of retrieiving it.
Because i used m-p3 i cant use my MSN anymore (because the emails addresses are'nt telling me a thing. I had names for everyone) and worse than that, lost important data on every one i'm in contact with.
So maybe adding it manualy sucks, but at least give us that.
even a program that will translate it into a file we can look at to add it back our selves.

Just because MSN can do that, doesnt mean you were suppose to block our data from us.
Give your clients the minimum you can do, we just want our MSN back....

10 thumbs up to what you are saying... this was EXACTLY my point almost 1 year ago when I was talking about the Messenger Plus responsability to provide a way to export custom names+emails to some kind (ANY kind) of recognizable file in order to upgrade to the "new features"...
For the past year noone provided any form of help for all devoted users who trusted the "old" Messenger Plus rename feature over the years and are now stuck with 300 or 500 contact names virtually unusuable - it's just a matter of time to lose everything related to MSN :(
OK Microsoft sucks but it certainly looks like even smaller software developers don't care at all about their clients (PS I never said I wouldn't pay for the time and effort put in a Msg+ PRO version)
RE: Contact information lost by darthziv on 09-22-2007 at 04:29 PM

you heard it.... ALL your users want to access their old data
it shouldnt be too much effort
so come on.... promise us you'll try