Shoutbox

Cant used ver. 7 msn - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Cant used ver. 7 msn (/showthread.php?tid=77423)

Cant used ver. 7 msn by tancth on 09-13-2007 at 02:45 AM

I am using MSN ver. 7.0 for more than a year now. Today i got an error msg saying that I cannot log into MSN bcoz i am using an old version of MSN. FYI I installed MSN on my office's PC. The worst is i cannot upgrade it bcoz i do not have the administrator's approval.

Question is:
1. can i continue using ver. 7.0 without upgrading it? If yes, how?
2. r there anyway i can bypass the administrator's approval?

Please I need help. Can't live without MSN messenger.

RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by Zahid™ on 09-13-2007 at 03:12 PM

Try this:
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=22557

RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by Sunshine on 09-13-2007 at 03:18 PM

If you wish to keep using version 7 you need to upgrade to the latest version 7:
MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 for Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium and Windows XP
Rectification: Even tho it says in the system requirements of 7.0.0820 that you can run it on WinXP you are not supposed to do so. WinXP has gotten into the requirements by mistake, this will be fixed. MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 will only run on OS'es pre-Windows XP (with the exception of Win 95, people on that should use MSN Messenger 5.0)..all on WinXP and Vista will have to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger.

Do not use work arounds to keep using old version, in the end they won't sign in at all anymore and you are risking your computer at that. The upgrade is for a reason, read Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-054, Vulnerability in MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Could Allow Remote Code Execution (942099)

RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by tancth on 09-14-2007 at 02:51 AM

i was able to use MSN yesterday late afternoon. But this morning back to the same old same old.

Thanks anyway for the info.

RE: RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by alegator on 09-14-2007 at 03:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
If you wish to keep using version 7 you need to upgrade to the latest version 7:
MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 for Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millenium and Windows XP

Do not use work arounds to keep using old version, in the end they won't sign in at all anymore and you are risking your computer at that. The upgrade is for a reason, read Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-054, Vulnerability in MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Could Allow Remote Code Execution (942099)

Isn't v7.5 the latest version 7?
RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by felipEx on 09-14-2007 at 05:14 AM

There is a dodgy way:

- Select msnmsgr.exe  (probably located at c:\program files\msn messenger\msnmsgr.exe),  right-click menu and select "Properties"
- Select "compatibility" tab, and pick "Windows 2000"
- Finally, press ok-button and have fun.

I don't have screenshot because Windows XP, MSN Messenger are in spanish =\

RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by Menthix on 09-14-2007 at 05:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Isn't v7.5 the latest version 7?
7.5 users are forced to upgrade to WLM 8.1, but 7.0.0820 users will not be forced to upgrade to anything. 7.0.0820 was released recently to fix the security issue, while 7.5 was never fixed, so technically 7.0.0820 is currently the last MSN 7 version.
RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by nx01rules on 09-14-2007 at 07:55 AM

Why on earth would they fix the older one and not the recent one? Sounds a bit strange...

RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by Sunshine on 09-14-2007 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nx01rules
Why on earth would they fix the older one and not the recent one? Sounds a bit strange...
Because MSNM 7.5 has always been WinXP only and Windows Live Messenger can run on WinXP too. The older one was fixed because older OS'es can't run Windows Live Messenger.
RE: Cant used ver. 7 msn by tancth on 09-17-2007 at 06:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by felipEx
There is a dodgy way:

- Select msnmsgr.exe  (probably located at c:\program files\msn messenger\msnmsgr.exe),  right-click menu and select "Properties"
- Select "compatibility" tab, and pick "Windows 2000"
- Finally, press ok-button and have fun.

I don't have screenshot because Windows XP, MSN Messenger are in spanish =\

Hey, it works!. Thanks felixEX. owe you one