Shoutbox

Got school laptop, but its restricted.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. (/showthread.php?tid=77466)

Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 12:19 AM

I got an hp laptop from the school, but everytime I download a program, after restart the program disappears. Im wondering how can I fix this? How can i make an admin account? Please help?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 12:28 AM

look for a folder named "Faronics" in "C:\Program Files"

let me know if it exists

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc

It exists now what?
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 12:36 AM

It means you have a program called 'Deep Freeze' on your computer. Unless you can boot with a floppy or a CD and format, you're pretty much screwed over for trying to do stuff.

What it does: restores the hard drive as if it was ghosted each time the computer restarts. There is a shortcut to disable it, if you know the password for it. The global shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-F6 i think.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 12:38 AM

quote:
It means you have a program called 'Deep Freeze' on your computer. Unless you can boot with a floppy or a CD and format, you're pretty much screwed over for trying to do stuff.

What it does: restores the hard drive as if it was ghosted each time the computer restarts. There is a shortcut to disable it, if you know the password for it. The global shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-F6 i think.

So the only work around this is to format? I cant create through dos?
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
So the only work around this is to format? I cant create through dos?
If Windows boots, the drive is frozen. no changes can be made that are permanent. If you can install a program outside of Windows, or just copy it, it should be able to stay.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Supersonicdarky on 09-14-2007 at 12:56 AM

if the bios is not password protected, change the boot order and install/dualboot something else (if you keep the laptop for atleast a month)

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Voldemort on 09-14-2007 at 12:58 AM

hmmmm...... tried safemode or something?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 01:00 AM

safe mode is still unusable, voldies.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:01 AM

I tried this,

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/498671/creating_an_...ough_cmd/?logout=1

Last step faild but i was able to create a normal account just like the one Im using but i cant change it to admin.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 01:05 AM

even if you do make an admin account, it will 'disappear' when you restart the computer :p

trust me, the only way around this is to format.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:06 AM

quote:
even if you do make an admin account, it will 'disappear' when you restart the computer :p

trust me, the only way around this is to format.

So if I take any regular XP cd and format it will work?
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 01:08 AM

yes, if you can make it boot

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by prashker on 09-14-2007 at 01:14 AM

Crtl-Alt-Shift-F6

Now guess the password (it's a school so it must be your school name or some crappy crap :p).

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Crtl-Alt-Shift-F6

Now guess the password (it's a school so it must be your school name or some crappy crap :p).

No no its not that.. Thers gotta be a way to delete deepfreeze come on is this like unhackable software were talking about here?

What If I were to upgrade to vista without formatting. Woudl deepfreeze have effect on vista
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 02:03 AM

If you upgraded to Vista without formatting, assuming you're using a Vista CD, yes, that should work. If you install Vista as an upgrade from within XP, well, i think you can guess the result by now... :rolleyes:

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 02:06 AM

quote:
If you install Vista as an upgrade from within XP, well, i think you can guess the result by now... :rolleyes:

No I cant. Will it work?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 02:11 AM

? bump i need to know as my dad is gonna go run out and get vista

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 02:14 AM

no, it will not work. if you do ANYTHING to the computer while XP is loaded, it will be restored upon rebooting, guaranteed

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 02:14 AM

quote:
no, it will not work. if you do ANYTHING to the computer while XP is loaded, it will be restored upon rebooting, guaranteed

So I need to boot the cd BEFORE the harddrive right? change the boot order?
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by MeEtc on 09-14-2007 at 02:15 AM

exactly. unless you boot from CD or flopy, you can't do shit

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Supersonicdarky on 09-14-2007 at 02:16 AM

if the bios is unlocked, yes.

otherwise you're screwed

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by vaccination on 09-14-2007 at 07:05 AM

Finally got there 8-)

Also, it may just be me but if you have to give it back they _might_ realise you've done something to it.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Crtl-Alt-Shift-F6

Now guess the password (it's a school so it must be your school name or some crappy crap (Smilie)).
try the computer name

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Also, it may just be me but if you have to give it back they _might_ realise you've done something to it.
indeed, unless you're keeping the laptop for a long period of time, then no piont.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Woraug on 09-14-2007 at 08:39 AM

From my experience, alot of schools like to use their initials as the password to things.  Like, if the school is Washington Junior High School, try WJHS.  Or, you could remove the drive from the laptop, throw it in an external case (if you don't have one, you can probably get one dirt cheap at your local computer store), format it on another computer, toss it back in, and reinstall.  If you intend on giving the laptop back, just go buy another 2.5" HD and use it.  Keep the original HD set aside, and put it back in when you return it.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
From my experience, alot of schools like to use their initials as the password to things.  Like, if the school is Washington Junior High School, try WJHS.  Or, you could remove the drive from the laptop, throw it in an external case (if you don't have one, you can probably get one dirt cheap at your local computer store), format it on another computer, toss it back in, and reinstall.  If you intend on giving the laptop back, just go buy another 2.5" HD and use it.  Keep the original HD set aside, and put it back in when you return it.

This laptop is supposed to guide me through  highschool. Im in grade 9. So Ill probably have it for a while
RE: RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by rav0 on 09-14-2007 at 11:39 AM

quote:
This laptop is supposed to guide me through  highschool. Im in grade 9. So Ill probably have it for a while

Format it and install a fresh OS to get rid of Deep Freeze and any other wierdness that it has preloaded, but before you do, get any software thay you need to have on the laptop to connect to the school network (Novell Client, Citrix Client etc) and possibly web proxy settings (any of our own browsers don't work at our school only because nobody knows the proxy server, the program is unrestricted but there is a firewall that blocks access).
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Format it and install a fresh OS to get rid of Deep Freeze and any other wierdness that it has preloaded, but before you do, get any software thay you need to have on the laptop to connect to the school network (Novell Client, Citrix Client etc) and possibly web proxy settings (any of our own browsers don't work at our school only because nobody knows the proxy server, the program is unrestricted but there is a firewall that blocks access).

So how would I just backup all that stuff?
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by rav0 on 09-14-2007 at 01:06 PM

maybe a copy/paste would work, maybe you need to get the installer, maybe you can find a light version, maybe a third-party solution, maybe you don't actually need it at all...

i don't really know how your schools system is, you will need to ask the teachers (if they like you/are nice) or do some research (try using a live cd to see what happens if you don't have any special software (maybe it works anyway) and try playing around with login options on the laptop or fixed school computers to see how it works

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:10 PM

quote:
maybe a copy/paste would work, maybe you need to get the installer, maybe you can find a light version, maybe a third-party solution, maybe you don't actually need it at all...

i don't really know how your schools system is, you will need to ask the teachers (if they like you/are nice) or do some research (try using a live cd to see what happens if you don't have any special software (maybe it works anyway) and try playing around with login options on the laptop or fixed school computers to see how it works

In school I connect through cable modem or dsl i think. So How do i check if i need the proxy settings
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 01:11 PM

quote:
quote:

In school I connect through cable modem or dsl i think. So How do i check if i need the proxy settings
if you don't know stuff like this......really think you should be messing about with their computers/laptops ?

just leave it as it as tbh, if you want something adding then ask your IT technicians.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
quote:

if you don't know stuff like this......really think you should be messing about with their computers/laptops ?

Well they go tme kinda woried that I wont be able to connect back to myschool after I format and I dont want to then have to ask some IT guy at school and he would see what Ive done so thats why im asking here....
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Thor on 09-14-2007 at 01:15 PM

http://usuarios.arnet.com.ar/fliamarconato/pages/edeepunfreezer.html

* Thor coughs a bit

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro

* Nitro coughs a bit

Thanks delete that though before this thread gets locked./
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 01:17 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well they go tme kinda woried that I wont be able to connect back to myschool after I format and I dont want to then have to ask some IT guy at school and he would see what Ive done so thats why im asking here....
so again ask yourself this
really think you should be messing about with their computers/laptops ?

edit:
quote:
quote:

* Nitro coughs a bit

¬_¬
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Mike on 09-14-2007 at 01:18 PM

What Nitro suggested.
Used it numerous times on internet cafes, works like a charm.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
What Nitro suggested.
Used it numerous times on internet cafes, works like a charm.

Yeah im on version 5.40.. closest they have is 5.2 and 5.5 is immune. Got a bit worried when I read the disclaimer.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by saralk on 09-14-2007 at 01:23 PM

Another option, if you don't want to get into dodgyness with your school: put a ubuntu live cd in. Even if the CD drive isn't set to a higher boot priority than the HDD, you can usually press F12 and get into the boot menu, then once you've got ubuntu loaded, maybe there is a program for Linux that lets you partition your HDD without reformatting it, you can create a new partition and install whatever on it. Then when it is time to give the laptop back, just get rid of that partition.

OR, never shut it down, just put it on hibernate instead of turning it off?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Thor on 09-14-2007 at 01:26 PM

quote:
quote:

* Nitro coughs a bit

That application does not interfer with this forums rules, as it does not allowe you to bypass a serial or trial protection, ie. it's not warez / crack. It's a patch. Just like you remove the ads on WLM, this one removes the protection on Deep Freeze.

Of course, I hope you don't do anything wrong with it. You should look over before jumping into conclusions.

And one last thing, you know there is google.com? :p

EDIT: And in general, if you have any experince with patces / warez etc, that's usually what all the disclaimers says.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:29 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

* Nitro coughs a bit

That application does not interfer with this forums rules, as it does not allowe you to bypass a serial or trial protection, ie. it's not warez / crack. It's a patch. Just like you remove the ads on WLM, this one removes the protection on Deep Freeze.

Of course, I hope you don't do anything wrong with it. You should look over before jumping into conclusions.

I trust you guys more than google..
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Steven the best bit of advice we can give you is, do not try hack your schools laptops. There put stuff like deep freeze to stop this. You clearly don’t know anything about it, or how your school network is set up, or what software they use. So just leave the laptop how is it, if they want you to change this on it, then they wouldn’t have programs like deep freeze on it.

If you f*ck the laptop up, do you really think you’re just gonna get a slap on the wrist ? unless you know what your doing (which you clearly don’t) then just use the laptop for what the school gave it you for.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Thor on 09-14-2007 at 01:36 PM

quote:

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted..

quote:Originally posted by Nitro

quote:Originally posted by Steven

quote:Originally posted by Nitro

* Nitro coughs a bit

And one last thing, you know there is google.com? (Smilie)

[offtopic]
Even if you do, a quick google search would still have given you loads of options and answers to your problem.
[/offtopic]
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:38 PM

quote:
quote:
Steven the best bit of advice we can give you is, do not try hack your schools laptops. There put stuff like deep freeze to stop this. You clearly don’t know anything about it, or how your school network is set up, or what software they use. So just leave the laptop how is it, if they want you to change this on it, then they wouldn’t have programs like deep freeze on it.

If you f*ck the laptop up, do you really think you’re just gonna get a slap on the wrist ? unless you know what your doing (which you clearly don’t) then just use the laptop for what the school gave it you for.

But all i really need to do is unfreeze.. They dont ever check my laptop they really dont care... and if its suppose to help me ive been waiting for 3 years for it i cant even install anything like lets say a school program I need, Then I have the right to unfreeze it
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 01:41 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

But all i really need to do is unfreeze.. They dont ever check my laptop they really dont care... and if its suppose to help me ive been waiting for 3 years for it i cant even install anything like lets say a school program I need, Then I have the right to unfreeze it
you don't have the right to do anything with it, they are lending it to you, not giving it to you.

if you need programs installing (which you shouldn't) then take it to an it technician
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:47 PM

But I do want to remove it and thats why I made this thread.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 01:48 PM

quote:
well try learning what you doing. try google

oh and have fun when your school catches you
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 01:55 PM

quote:
quote:
well try learning what you doing. try google

oh and have fun when your school catches you

Lmao they will catch me if i tell them
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by saralk on 09-14-2007 at 02:09 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

* Nitro coughs a bit

When you ask us inane questions, 9 times out of 10, we do a google search and link you to the first result.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 03:02 PM

quote:

no they will more then likely catch you, because you have no idea what you are doing.
i'd love to be there if (well, when) they find out that you have hacked deep freeze, and broke their laptop (which a newb like yourself, will likely do very quickly)
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 03:27 PM

quote:
quote:

no they will more then likely catch you, because you have no idea what you are doing.
i'd love to be there if (well, when) they find out that you have hacked deep freeze, and broke their laptop (which a newb like yourself, will likely do very quickly)

Please enlighten me how I would break it
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by prashker on 09-14-2007 at 03:29 PM

you are such an idiot, just bike to ValSpy's and let someone with atleast half a brain (<3 ValSpy) do it :(.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Mike on 09-14-2007 at 03:32 PM

Like I said, I have used Deep Freeze Unfreezer many times and I've never had a problem, so IMO, it should be safe to use it.

DFU is very straight forward: Just launch it, click detect status, select boot thawed, click save status and reboot your computer. To enable deep freeze again just repeat the steps but this time choose boot frozen instead of boot thawed. It's that simple.
If you're not an administrator, then you will have to launch DFU via the task scheduler which allows you to run an application as an administrator. That requires the task scheduler service to be enabled.

However, if you do mess your school's laptop I won't be responsible!

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 03:39 PM

Thanks Mike, and Sam if you dont have anything nice or helpfull to say than dont post at all. :/

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 03:42 PM

quote:
if you dont have anything nice or helpfull to say than dont post at all. :/
well you're asking people to help you crack a school laptop, when you clearly have no idea what you're doing. i think my advice of not to mess about it with it, is the most useful piece of information on here. but if you wish to ignore me, then fine. but i'll be the on laughing when you get suspended and have to pay for any repairs
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by prashker on 09-14-2007 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Thanks Mike, and Sam if you dont have anything nice or helpfull to say than dont post at all. :/

Well, there has been tons of suggestions but you don't seem to be doing anything. :p.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 03:45 PM

quote:
quote:
well you're asking people to help you crack a school laptop, when you clearly have no idea what you're doing. i think my advice of not to mess about it with it, is the most useful piece of information on here. but if you wish to ignore me, then fine. but i'll be the on laughing when you get suspended and have to pay for any repairs

Thing is, if it breaks at school, they fix it. If it breaks at home. well you know the answer to that. I already dropped it by accedent when It was raining and I ran inside the school, and the lcd cracked and had lines coming down the screen, all was fixed..
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by prashker on 09-14-2007 at 03:46 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thing is, if it breaks at school, they fix it. If it breaks at home. well you know the answer to that. I already dropped it by accedent when It was raining and I ran inside the school, and the lcd cracked and had lines coming down the screen, all was fixed..

rofl :p.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 03:50 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

good luck in life, if that is your attitude.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Thor on 09-14-2007 at 03:59 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

good luck in life, if that is your attitude.
x2

Such an attitude isn't going to get you far :/
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 04:02 PM

Whats my attitude im just asking for help and you start bashing me? Like i said stop posting here if your not being nice or helpfull.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Like i said stop posting here if your not being nice
stop posting and asking for hacks
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by saralk on 09-14-2007 at 04:23 PM

"Hi guys, my school doesn't think that I can be trusted with a computer that is their property and is only being loaned to me on the proviso that I don't mess about on it and use it for work only.

When I try and install any program (even the program that makes sure my clock is always accurate and gives me the weather all for free!!) it is gone when I restart the PC.

I want to prove that I can be trusted with a computer by breaking the trust and getting these restrictions that are in place to protect me and the school from any liability, please help me lol, I am really good at making sure things are safe so I wont break it. Just the other day, I dropped my computer and it broke, but now it works, which basically proves that I can be trusted."

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by vaccination on 09-14-2007 at 04:25 PM

8-).

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 04:30 PM

Wow I was given the computer because I have messy handwriting. And im unorganized. You think I was given it because they dont trust me with there computers?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Spunky on 09-14-2007 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
"Hi guys, my school doesn't think that I can be trusted with a computer that is their property and is only being loaned to me on the proviso that I don't mess about on it and use it for work only.

When I try and install any program (even the program that makes sure my clock is always accurate and gives me the weather all for free!!) it is gone when I restart the PC.

I want to prove that I can be trusted with a computer by breaking the trust and getting these restrictions that are in place to protect me and the school from any liability, please help me lol, I am really good at making sure things are safe so I wont break it. Just the other day, I dropped my computer and it broke, but now it works, which basically proves that I can be trusted."

:rofl:

quote:
Wow I was given the computer because I have messy handwriting

I'm sure a laptop will fix that 8-)

Theres a reason people put these types of protection on a computer... Just buy a cheap external hard drive and install xp or vista on it and boot from there... OR just install your programs to it
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Theres a reason people put these types of protection on a computer... Just buy a cheap external hard drive and install xp or vista on it and boot from there... OR just install your programs to it
or even easier & cheaper, use the laptop for school stuff (like it was given for). and use your desktop pc for everything else
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 04:52 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
or even easier & cheaper, use the laptop for school stuff (like it was given for). and use your desktop pc for everything else

Im sure you wouldn't. Ill do the unfreezer and hope for the bst
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Volv on 09-14-2007 at 05:02 PM

I must say I stopped reading around page 4, so if this stuff has already been said then...

I just thought I'd add that as it is the school's laptop (and not yours), you are breaching the conditions under which you are supplied with the laptop and as far as I'm concerned that's illegal... If you think you'll get in trouble if someone finds out (which you've already made clear is the case) then you clearly should not be doing it.
They will know what you have done once the laptop is returned and they will know which student had it.

What happens if there's some sort of damage to the laptop? Will you be the only student without a working laptop because you tampered with someone else's (that is, the school's) property, you'll at least be liable to pay for any costs incurred repairing it?

When it comes to computers, school's aren't afraid to disallow you access to them.
Why should you have any privilidges over other students? If you have a legitimate reason then I'm sure your IT staff will arrange things for you.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Im sure you wouldn't. Ill do the unfreezer and hope for the bst
your sure i wouldn't what ?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 05:06 PM

They are all incredibly stupid and they wont notice anything that i leave on the desktop. And Ill know when to give it back to them, so thats when ill delete some programs. Nothign to worry about on my part.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Volv on 09-14-2007 at 05:13 PM

quote:
They are all incredibly stupid and they wont notice anything that i leave on the desktop. And Ill know when to give it back to them, so thats when ill delete some programs. Nothign to worry about on my part.
What about the fact that you've removed the hard drive protection system which they installed?
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 05:14 PM

quote:
coming from you...
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 05:17 PM

Toddy just stop posting

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by toddy on 09-14-2007 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Toddy just stop posting
why, truth hurting ?

p.s.
you may have noticed that i'm not the only one pionting out you shouldn't be messing about with your schools property
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Volv on 09-14-2007 at 05:25 PM

Ok, well this is probably my last post in this thread since it doesn't seem to be going any where.

I think that the students at your school have been given a privilege by having access to your own laptops for your studies, most schools don't offer this type of thing at all.

I also find it somewhat despicable that you're trying to exploit the fact that you've been given this thing to aid in your education.
If you want a fully functional laptop then buy your own - you'll be able to do everything you want plus you'll be able to do your school work. Dont abuse your privileges.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Thor on 09-14-2007 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

That made my day saralk :D

And yes, Volv is correct. They don't give you a laptop to mess around with it. ;)
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Jhrono on 09-14-2007 at 06:04 PM

For once toddy is completely right and was able to speak nicely until you reached the exhaustion of any men's patience. You shouldn't do that in first place, but if you are determined to break the rules, you should only do it if you have the expertise to breach the security and retrieve it once you give the laptop back, which apparently you don't.

If you still want to break the rules and are willing to spend some money :

- Make a backup of all drivers just in case you can't get them from the internet later.
- Get a screwdriver and unplug the hard drive from the computer. Keep it in a safe place, inside a sealed plastic bag.
- Buy a new hard drive. Watch out for its size and interface. They are not the same size as conventional hard drives, normally they are 2.5". Also look out if they are SATA or IDE hard drives.
- Install Windows and the drivers.
- Once you're done with school, put the old hard drive back.

I will not be held responsible for this and I really think you shouldn't do it, but since it's my opinion that freedom of choice should be given to all of us, choose what's best for you. Remember, everything as consequences.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by andrey on 09-14-2007 at 06:20 PM

Well either do what Jhrono suggested and buy a new hard drive or get an disk imaging application like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, back up the whole HDD and burn it to a DVD, then install a fresh OS.

Just don't mess with it without having a working backup, this could get you in trouble when you have to give the laptop back.

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by saralk on 09-14-2007 at 07:17 PM

quote:

You think they're stupid, because you managed to play on Desktop Tower Defence in the library when you weren't supposed to, or something.

The IT staff in schools are actually quite switched on, they just don't give a shit about most of the things you do/can't be arsed to fix the printer.

However, they will get pissed off if you do something like that, so don't.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by vikke on 09-14-2007 at 07:38 PM

If they were so stupid how could they install this protection and why can't you remove it?

RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by prashker on 09-14-2007 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
If they were so stupid how could they install this protection and why can't you remove it?

POWNED.

Now stop arguing and just do the god damn Unfreeze :p.
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by ryxdp on 09-14-2007 at 10:36 PM

I should point out one thing here, even if it contributes nothing, because I seem to be the only one who thinks it's worth reading.

You can refreeze the HDD with DeepUnfreezer. All this guy has to do is make a note of the system state before he unfreezes it, then when he has to give it back, deletes all the stuff that wasn't there before and refreezes it. Simple as that.

He also might have a legit reason to unfreeze the HDD. What if he piled all his homework/assignments/etc. on it, then where would it go? It would be deleted after he reboots. I see no reason for him not to unfreeze it if he is in that situation.

My two cents, and please no flaming :/

RE: RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by rav0 on 09-14-2007 at 11:18 PM

The school won't have a cry if it's unfrozen. When they get it back, they'll just take it back and ghost it. You wouldn't need to refreeze it or "cover your tracks", it's just unlocking the computer to work better. It won't be very educational if it's frozen.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
I should point out one thing here, even if it contributes nothing, because I seem to be the only one who thinks it's worth reading.

You can refreeze the HDD with DeepUnfreezer. All this guy has to do is make a note of the system state before he unfreezes it, then when he has to give it back, deletes all the stuff that wasn't there before and refreezes it. Simple as that.

He also might have a legit reason to unfreeze the HDD. What if he piled all his homework/assignments/etc. on it, then where would it go? It would be deleted after he reboots. I see no reason for him not to unfreeze it if he is in that situation.
(Y)
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by Steven on 09-14-2007 at 11:32 PM

quote:
The school won't have a cry if it's unfrozen. When they get it back, they'll just take it back and ghost it. You wouldn't need to refreeze it or "cover your tracks", it's just unlocking the computer to work better. It won't be very educational if it's frozen.

(Y)

Thank you guys for being on my side. Anyways, only programs disappear, not exes, programs that I install. I made an autoinstall. bat file so it installs for me after restart but thats still annoying
RE: Got school laptop, but its restricted.. by surfichris on 09-14-2007 at 11:43 PM

Consider this thread closed - do not bring it up for discussion again, or any kind of discussion about bypassing school systems, networks, proxies - you'll be banned.

The laptop is your schools property, it is locked down so it works on their corporate network without possible infection of viruses, or an altered level of system access, and actually works properly with their supported software.

People who think they own these machines need to step back & read their schools code of conduct, or the rules they were supplied with when they received the machine. It is not yours to do what you see fit with. I think you'll find that you can easily be suspended for what you're doing and have your laptop taken off you.

I work for two schools & manage their networks, this is the exact kind of thing which extremely pisses us off and we suspend students for.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
There is a particular reason flash drives, portable hard drives & CD burners were invented.