Shoutbox

Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! (/showthread.php?tid=77468)

Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by Nagamasa on 09-14-2007 at 12:43 AM

Well on Tuesday, September 11, Microsoft has announced that users using MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messneger 8.0 are due to a vulnerability in video chats and webcam conversations which allows hackers to take complete control of your computer.

As a result, all users of the above mentioned Messenger versions are mandated to upgrade to WLM 8.1.0178 (for XP and Vista users), or the newest version of MSN Messenger - 7.0.0820.

Those who use MSN Messenger 7.5, which do not wish to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger 8.1, have a few options:

1) Download and install MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-9904-9505f47bed45

EDIT: Even though it says in the system requirements of 7.0.0820 that you can run it on Windows XP, you are not supposed to do so. Windows XP has gotten into the requirements by mistake, this will be fixed. MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 will only run on OS's pre-Windows XP (with the exception of Windows 95 users which should use MSN Messenger 5.0)..all Windows XP and Vista users will have to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger. Thanks to Sunshine.

NEW! MSN Messenger is once again available as an option for those using MSNM 7.5! Thanks to Sunshine for reporting, yet again.

2)

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
The more advanced Messer can stick to whatever version or skin he or she is using thanks to some simple hex editing. Grab an hex editor like XVI32 and search and replace the 7 in all references to your current version number to an 8 (eg. "7.5.0324" becomes "8.5.0324"). Do this with the unicode checkbox both checked and unchecked. Just be forever careful not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory you're still vulnerable and you can't come complaining to us nor Microsoft when things go awol [Submitted by Transient].

3)
quote:
Originally posted by tn201 from mess.be Forums, reworded
Firstly, close MSN, then right click on Messenger and select properties, and then select compatibility mode to Windows 2000.
Some people says the above works, while some says it does not. Again, do not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory, you're still vulnerable.

4) See http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=22557.

For more information about the Security Bulletin, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS07-054.mspx

PLEASE DO NOT POST THREADS FOR AN APPROPRIATE SOLUTION.

Messenger Plus! and this site is not affiliated in any way with Microsoft Corporation.
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by imovane on 09-14-2007 at 10:56 AM

I have tried to install 7.0, it doesn't work. Is it just me or what?

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by Menthix on 09-14-2007 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by imovane
I have tried to install 7.0, it doesn't work.
What is exactly the problem? Got any messages/errors when installing? Did the install not work? Or can't you run MSN after install? Or can't you sing-in? What version of Windows are you using?

Can't help you without enough info.
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by nikosATH on 09-14-2007 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
2) The more advanced Messer can stick to whatever version or skin he or she is using thanks to some simple hex editing. Grab an hex editor like XVI32 and search and replace the 7 in all references to your current version number to an 8 (eg. "7.5.0324" becomes "8.5.0324"). Do this with the unicode checkbox both checked and unchecked. Just be forever careful not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory you're still vulnerable and you can't come complaining to us nor Microsoft when things go awol [Submitted by Transient].

I love you so much for this!!!!!!!
I did a bit of editing as you describe and everything works 100% normally!
I could marry you right now :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

BTW going "back" to 7.0 isn't of much use because you still can't use the custom names created by plus!
RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by imovane on 09-14-2007 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by imovane
I have tried to install 7.0, it doesn't work.
What is exactly the problem? Got any messages/errors when installing? Did the install not work? Or can't you run MSN after install? Or can't you sing-in? What version of Windows are you using?

Can't help you without enough info.

7.5 work fine til yesterday. I got logged out and when I tried to log back in, it said that I couldn't cuz the msnversion was to old. Havn't got any errors while installing 7.0, except for the same message: to old.
I'm using Windows Vista, and my boyfriend's computers have Windows 2000 and Windows Vista, he got the same message.
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by Eddie on 09-14-2007 at 03:05 PM

As far as i am aware MSN Messenger 7.5 has been phased out and people are now being FORCED to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger 8.1 or live without messenger, i only know of a MSN Messenger 7.0 work around, but then again i could be wrong.

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by absorbation on 09-14-2007 at 06:44 PM

I've been receiving so many emails about this, people really don't want to upgrade. Mainly because of performance issues and the design.

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by RebelSean on 09-14-2007 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I've been receiving so many emails about this, people really don't want to upgrade. Mainly because of performance issues and the design.

Very much so, they've made a terrible decision but if enough people complain about this, they will reverse it and hopefully release a QFE patch instead of the forced update :).
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-15-2007 at 03:18 AM

I downloaded and installed  MSN Messenger v7.0.0820  as you suggest but I get the same forced upgrade message when trying to connect as with v7.5. All I know that can be done so far si run v7.5 in Win2000 compatibility mode (which I'm doing succesfully). So, is it confirmed that Microsoft enables v7.0.0820 to connect? Because as I said I can't.

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by texaskitty on 09-15-2007 at 06:21 AM

hi Nagamasa!
can you tell me (I know maybe a dummy question) of the instruction you put
Grab an hex editor like XVI32 and search and replace the 7 in all references to your current version number to an 8 (eg. "7.5.0324" becomes "8.5.0324")
Can you more explicit? I would really appreciate your help

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-15-2007 at 06:01 PM

Yes Nagamasa, I downloaded WinHex and I opened msnmgr.exe with it but have no clue as to how to edit it. It looks like chinese to me :-)

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by salez on 09-16-2007 at 10:56 AM

Download res hacker, open msnmsgr.exe, just go to version window and change 7 to 8 and it's all :)

But now i have another problem, i cannot install msg plus on that 'hacked' 7.5 messenger. Does anyone have any idea ? :)

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-16-2007 at 04:59 PM

CAn you provide a link to download res hacker? Thanks

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by Zahid™ on 09-16-2007 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
CAn you provide a link to download res hacker? Thanks
Use google!
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=reshacker&...oogle+Search&meta=
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by ski 7.5 on 09-16-2007 at 07:00 PM

Hey guys, why make it so difficult??

Just leave the 7.5 version, go to the program folder, rightclick on the msnmsgr.exe, select properties, and set the compatibility mode to "Windows 2000". Now you can use it under XP without any problem, also the Messenger Plus works fine!

Keep the 7.5 alive!!

ski

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-16-2007 at 08:09 PM

Zahid, yeah, I know about Google! :-) , but I asked a link to make sure the version he was referring to, because there are different types of res hacker utilities. Anyway, I tried what he suggested and I confirm that the trick works except that Plus! does not work as it thinks that v8 is installed.
ski 7.5, yes, we're using win2000 compatibility mode to override the issue, but it is only a temporary/imperfect solution. Firstly, eventually Microsoft will ban this too, and second Win2000 compatibility mode creates some minor issues in the MSN/Plus! functionality (for example the Email button stops working).

RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by nikosATH on 09-17-2007 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Zahid, yeah, I know about Google! :-) , but I asked a link to make sure the version he was referring to, because there are different types of res hacker utilities. Anyway, I tried what he suggested and I confirm that the trick works except that Plus! does not work as it thinks that v8 is installed.
ski 7.5, yes, we're using win2000 compatibility mode to override the issue, but it is only a temporary/imperfect solution. Firstly, eventually Microsoft will ban this too, and second Win2000 compatibility mode creates some minor issues in the MSN/Plus! functionality (for example the Email button stops working).

Also I would add the webcamera chat seems to be having many problems in the compatibility mode and any software camera enhancement programs stop working...
The "hacked" version has no problem with MSG plus at least for me... just make sure to REPLACE all the hacked files in the folder they are (do not try to reinstall)
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by Nagamasa on 09-17-2007 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nikosATH
Also I would add the webcamera chat seems to be having many problems in the compatibility mode and any software camera enhancement programs stop working...
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Some people says the above works, while some says it does not. Again, do not to accept webcam session invitations from those you don't know or trust, because in theory, you're still vulnerable.

RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by nikosATH on 09-17-2007 at 11:37 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nikosATH
quote:

1. I simply dont believe that the "security risk" excuse tha Microsoft uses to forse the stupid update is serious... use common sence in everything you do in an internet communication
2. It would make sence to use a properly configured HARDWARE firewall that protects from all intruder attempts wheather using MSN or not
3. Not accepting any kind of "invitation" or file or gift (!) from people you don't trust is again common sence that applies in MSN, internet or out in the streets :)
RE: RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-17-2007 at 06:20 PM

quote:
[i]Originally posted by nikosATH
The "hacked" version has no problem with MSG plus at least for me... just make sure to REPLACE all the hacked files in the folder they are (do not try to reinstall)

Can you explain in more detail what steps to follow? Thanks
RE: RE: RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by nikosATH on 09-18-2007 at 02:42 PM

quote:
quote:
[i]Originally posted by nikosATH

Can you explain in more detail what steps to follow? Thanks

Hmmm it isn't really that simple to do a step by step explanation... you should be aware that it requires a minimum of PC software knowledge;)
Basically you should try to use the "find and replace" feature of the HEX editor program, works pretty much like the "find and replace" feature in MS Word - tell it to replace all entries that contain 7.5 with 8.5 (careful not to use just the number 7... it might be part of something else like 7347 etc... you never know)

First of all copy all .dll and .exe files that you see in the MSN messenger folder (under C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger if you haven't messed with the initial installation)
Edit and replace 7.5 with 8.5 two times (as explained by Nagamasa in his initial EXCELLENT post!) "Do this with the unicode checkbox both checked and unchecked"
Copy all edited .dll and .exe files back to the ORIGINAL MSN folder (replacing the "old ones")
Start MSN and everything should work OK along with all plugins (MSN plus inclusive...)
RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-18-2007 at 04:16 PM

Thanks nikosATH, it now works flawlessly as you indicated. Long live MSN 7.5!!!

RE: RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by nikosATH on 09-19-2007 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Thanks nikosATH, it now works flawlessly as you indicated. Long live MSN 7.5!!!

I am happy all is ok now:)
Lets not forget that it was all Nagamasa's idea... I just explained what I did following his post
We should all be thankfull to him !!!!

RE: Cannot Sign into MSN 7.5? READ HERE! by alegator on 09-19-2007 at 09:00 PM

Yes, Nagamasa thanks for saving us from the crappy trashy WLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!