Shoutbox

Apatch or Messpatch? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Apatch or Messpatch? (/showthread.php?tid=77474)

Apatch or Messpatch? by alegator on 09-14-2007 at 04:25 AM

Which one is better?

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by kao on 09-14-2007 at 04:50 AM

Just use one of them, they both do basically the same shit afaik. I use Apatch usually.

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by alegator on 09-14-2007 at 05:00 AM

Yes , I always used Apatch until MSN v7.5, but for Windows Live Messpatch has the option of making the contacts' display picture visible in the contact list and deleting the WLM contact symbol next to it

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by linx05 on 09-14-2007 at 05:05 AM

As far as I know Mess Patch has more features. And that is the reason why I use it.

Try both, you may not need all the extra ones Mess Patch provides.

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by alegator on 09-14-2007 at 05:36 AM

Does Mess PAtch include polygamy? (multiple MSN identities)

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by Menthix on 09-14-2007 at 06:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Does Mess PAtch include polygamy?
Yes. So does Messenger Plus! Live BTW, so you don't need an extra patch if you're only looking for polygamy.
RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by RebelSean on 09-14-2007 at 06:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Does Mess PAtch include polygamy? (multiple MSN identities)

So does Plus! Live :). On a more serious note, I simply use aPatch because it's updated as soon as a new build is released. The faster a patch is released, the more it's used.
RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by aNILEator on 09-14-2007 at 01:52 PM

I use Mess patch for the main patching bulk (I always used to use apatch and still highly respect it/use it) as it has a few nice options for windows live messenger which aren't in apatch (like adding and moving buttons + re-colouring the dashboard/conversation window to make it darker/match the contact list) so I use messpatch for most of it, then I apply the shorten status info patch in apatch, as it works on top of messpatch that way.

but yes both similar, messpatch is annoying to get a hold of (mess.be download database is a bugger at best of times, apatch has nice preview patch feature/screenshots built into the installer, also iirc Mess patch is a larger download and has had troubles on some releases launching/patching sometimes, but i believe these issues are fixed now)

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by alegator on 09-14-2007 at 04:36 PM

I have the problem that after apllying Messpatch everything works fine for the first instance of WLM. But when I open the 2nd instance of WLM (polygamy) it connects but it looks unpatched. Any ideas?

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by absorbation on 09-14-2007 at 04:43 PM

I've switched to Mess Patch recently, it has more features, more interesting options and is slightly easier to use :).

My Review: Change Messenger's design using Mess Patch

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by Shiny Rabbit on 09-14-2007 at 06:51 PM

i use messpatch because it does more stuff, though my freind says it doesn't work, we both use 8.5  beta btw

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by afnetman on 09-15-2007 at 02:41 PM

I have just upgraded to WLM (forced) and I am looking for a patch to bring back the large icons (pictures) for my contacts in the contact list.  Does anyone know if either Apatch or Messpatch will do this for me.
Also I did try to load Messpatch onto WLM but it keeps coming back stating the following:  "Mess Patch was not able to locate an installation of Messenger.  Please install Messenger properly and try again."  The program is located:  Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/Windows Live/Messenger.exe.  I have even uninstalled the program and loaded new just to be sure it is a fresh copy.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can install this patch?

Thanks for the help.
Jay

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by aNILEator on 09-15-2007 at 11:27 PM

make sure you have the latest available download of messpatch and check if it's compatible with your version of messenger, mess patch can allow you to force contact display pictures and realtive sizes too

RE: RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by Shiny Rabbit on 09-16-2007 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by afnetman
I have just upgraded to WLM (forced) and I am looking for a patch to bring back the large icons (pictures) for my contacts in the contact list.  Does anyone know if either Apatch or Messpatch will do this for me.
Also I did try to load Messpatch onto WLM but it keeps coming back stating the following:  "Mess Patch was not able to locate an installation of Messenger.  Please install Messenger properly and try again."  The program is located:  Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/Windows Live/Messenger.exe.  I have even uninstalled the program and loaded new just to be sure it is a fresh copy.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can install this patch?

Thanks for the help.
Jay

the newest version of messpatch(g-5851288816) works fine with WLM2008, exept it's a bit of a bugger to undo if you don't like how something looks

and yes, you can have the contact DPs in the contact list, you can have them massive, slightly smaller, even smaller or tiny
RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by M73A on 09-16-2007 at 12:51 PM

On the topic of patches, my shared folders don't work anymore... what patch doesnt murder them?

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by vaccination on 09-16-2007 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Rabbit
the newest version of messpatch(g-5851288816) works fine with WLM2008, exept it's a bit of a bugger to undo if you don't like how something looks

and yes, you can have the contact DPs in the contact list, you can have them massive, slightly smaller, even smaller or tiny

Err, all you have to do is re-run the patch and it gives you the option to restore to previous state. Failing that, you just go to Add/Remove programs and repair Messenger 8-)

M73A: I'm pretty sure the 'butchering' of the Sharing Folders was fixed ages ago in mess patch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...?

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by Chris4 on 09-16-2007 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by afnetman
I have just upgraded to WLM (forced) and I am looking for a patch to bring back the large icons (pictures) for my contacts in the contact list.
You know, you can press the [Image: sortfi2.png] button and choose 'Show contacts details', which then shows contacts display picture, etc.
RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by absorbation on 09-16-2007 at 06:24 PM

I remember Ghost Patch by Volv, he should release the source code for it. I'll even buy him a muffin if he does :P.

RE: Apatch or Messpatch? by M73A on 09-16-2007 at 10:22 PM

hm thanks, ill try and reinstall and repatch :)