Shoutbox

Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls (/showthread.php?tid=77507)

Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by uzumaki on 09-15-2007 at 04:07 PM

I'm running Windows Vista and have been experiencing a rather recent problem. When engaged in a voice call with a friend from Korea, all of a sudden I'll be bombarded with INTENSE static on my end. I can't hear my friend at all, but she can hear me. What can I do to fix this problem??

I would appreciate any help that ANYone can provide.

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by Voldemort on 09-15-2007 at 04:08 PM

It's probably her microphone... try another one?

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by absorbation on 09-15-2007 at 04:08 PM

Is your microphone next to your speaker? The same applies to your friend :).

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by uzumaki on 09-15-2007 at 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

In response to Voldemort:

I was wondering that too, that it might be her mic. She's using the same one she's been using, and we've never had this problem until just recently.

In response to absorbation:

It's not too close, about  1 1/2 feet away. Mine is a Logitech desktop mic. Not sure about hers.

Also, it's not like the static builds. All of a sudden, it's voice then STATIC. Even when we try to restart a conversation, sometimes all I hear is static when it connects.

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by Voldemort on 09-15-2007 at 04:13 PM

It could have been damaged, tell her to try using some earphones as  a microphone...

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by uzumaki on 09-15-2007 at 04:15 PM

Do you mean like a headset/mic?

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by toddy on 09-15-2007 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by uzumaki
Do you mean like a headset/mic?
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofiversion/index.php/t117759.html
RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by uzumaki on 09-15-2007 at 04:29 PM

Thanks for the tip toddy! That's new to me.

In the meantime, we've tried a few more things with interesting results. We talked, and I could barely hear her behind the static (just barely). Everytime we connected, I could only hear static from the beginning. She unplugged and plugged her mic back in, and it's working fine so far. Does that sound like it's her mic?

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by Voldemort on 09-15-2007 at 04:32 PM

yes, probably a loose connection on her side :p

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by uzumaki on 09-15-2007 at 04:43 PM

Thanks for all your quick replies! We'll start there and hope it works out ok.

RE: Urgent Problem - Intense Static During Calls by aNILEator on 09-15-2007 at 11:31 PM

sounds like loose connection/dry solder joint to me, my piss cheap headset has a loose connection in it when the mic is in a certain position all that comes out is white noise, similar thing happened to my Lifecam VX6000 the microphone is known in IT circles as being poorly designed into the webcam's circuit board, and a lot of people have reported static white noise only coming from the mic. I managed to get my webcam changed over and new one works fine