Shoutbox

Uni Internet? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Uni Internet? (/showthread.php?tid=77558)

Uni Internet? by M73A on 09-17-2007 at 03:29 PM

do they monitor your browsings?

would they mind say, going to a certain website and downloading tv shows such as lost, prison break etc...

are they going to get you screwed for downloading the odd mp3?

ta

RE: Uni Internet? by toddy on 09-17-2007 at 03:32 PM

yes, yes, and yes

RE: Uni Internet? by user35870 on 09-17-2007 at 03:33 PM

Most likely.

Its a place of education, so they probably have internet monitor services installed.

You would probably get suspended from the network or something for downloading tv shows etc.

Check the AUP.   

RE: Uni Internet? by absorbation on 09-17-2007 at 04:00 PM

Depends what Uni, research what they will do to find out the consequences :P.

RE: Uni Internet? by toddy on 09-17-2007 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Depends what Uni
i can't see any uni in the UK (or most countries) not monitoring users browsing.

as for the consequences, all uni's won't be happy, as your accessing illegal videos/mp3 on there IP address.
granted some may just give you a slap on the wrist and tell you not to do it again. but others will disable your account and tell you to provide your own hardware, if you're going to abuse theirs.
RE: Uni Internet? by M73A on 09-17-2007 at 04:25 PM

the ones im looking at you take ur own hardware anyway... its just like, paying them for access to the internet, gr.. hm

what if said files are downloaded from say rapidshare

www.rapidshare.com/lost.series4.part1.rar sort of thing... not p2p (A) lol

ah i dont wanna go uni now if i cant browse what i want :(

RE: Uni Internet? by toddy on 09-17-2007 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
the ones im looking at you take ur own hardware anyway... its just like, paying them for access to the internet, gr.. hm
so u actually mean do uni halls monitor internet traffic?
this will depend on how you get to the net, if its a direct connection then no, but if you have to go through there proxy (which is likely to be the case). then yes, more then likely, they'll be monitoring. plus most education places will have sites like rapidshare blocked in the first place
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
ah i dont wanna go uni now if i cant browse what i want
well you should be browsing/watching/downlaoding them in the first place.
RE: Uni Internet? by M73A on 09-17-2007 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
well you should be browsing/watching/downlaoding them in the first place.
i'm not ;)

yeah the place has a proxy, you have to login to their thing before you can get past their like, intranet login screen
RE: Uni Internet? by Nathan on 09-17-2007 at 06:25 PM

Is the firewall by any chance called "SonicWall" ?

RE: Uni Internet? by M73A on 09-17-2007 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Is the firewall by any chance called "SonicWall" ?
didnt manage to catch the name of it... why?
RE: Uni Internet? by Ezra on 09-17-2007 at 11:11 PM

I don't know if there is monitoring software but I don't think so, also they don't mind if you download, everybody does it here, even teachers  told me good places to get stuff.

SURFnet FTW!

RE: Uni Internet? by Voldemort on 09-18-2007 at 02:04 AM

keep in mind the different cultures and countries.

RE: Uni Internet? by Verte on 09-18-2007 at 02:20 AM

I remember a story a while back about the RIAA making a large USA university turn over their logs, so it could litigate the students. I don't think you'd be out of their reach, either. Your school might have a gripe if you start to eat too much of their bandwidth or quota, so I'd say it would be best to play it safe.

[Hey! ctrl+del and ctrl+backspace delete words in firefox and msn! That's awesome.]

RE: Uni Internet? by TheSteve on 09-18-2007 at 08:20 AM

The quickest way to find out if they care about what you download is to ask someone in IT.  If you ask and they say no, you know you're not supposed to. However if what you are downloading is illegal or against the Terms of Use agreement you signed at the beginning (assuming you had one as most universities do) then you can guess the answer before you even ask ;)

RE: Uni Internet? by Nathan on 09-21-2007 at 07:47 PM

I asked if it was SonicWall because our school has just got it, and they do log everything.
It also logs you in and it times you. So it will give you a session of 80minutes for example :P