Shoutbox

Cracking the passwords.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Cracking the passwords.... (/showthread.php?tid=77569)

Cracking the passwords.... by Shippo on 09-17-2007 at 10:49 PM

Uck.. I used to keep logs of some of my chats, especially those of my g/f or something.. But, not only did I keep logs, but I encrypted them for the sake of privacy. One problem now: I can't figure out the stupid password anymore. I thought it was one password, but it wasn't, so I tried different passwords I could of used. None of them worked... So, is it possible to even crack the encryption or anything? There's something I want to pull out of the log, but I can't get in it... -_-

RE: Cracking the passwords.... by Supersonicdarky on 09-17-2007 at 10:51 PM

impossible.

RE: Cracking the passwords.... by MeEtc on 09-18-2007 at 12:14 AM

you could brute force it, but that might take many lifetimes to actually give any results

RE: Cracking the passwords.... by andrewdodd13 on 09-18-2007 at 09:49 AM

If it's on your own computer, and you're still encrypting your own logs, it'd be quicker to find out how Messenger Plus encrypts the logs, and then brute-force the two keys stored in HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email>\Log*Key* .

But still, that's going to take forever as well. And I mean forever.

RE: Cracking the passwords.... by Shippo on 09-18-2007 at 05:27 PM

I see... hmm, I'll have to figure out something at some point..

RE: Cracking the passwords.... by lrac522 on 09-18-2007 at 09:13 PM

I would recommend using a fixed secure password for everything and u will never go wrong...(Y)

RE: Cracking the passwords.... by Ezra on 09-18-2007 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
I would recommend using a fixed secure password for everything and u will never go wrong...(Y)

And then when someone finds out they will have access to anything you secured with this password rendering the encryption useless.
RE: Cracking the passwords.... by toddy on 09-18-2007 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
quote:

And then when someone finds out they will have access to anything you secured with this password rendering the encryption useless.
thats why you don't tell people your passwords :rolleyes:

its really not that hard, to have one or two set passwords for every thing. if someone find its out, then you're a nub. but at least you know its the same everywhere, so you can access everything easily and don't have to remember lots of different passwords. granted things like bank accounts should be different (mainly as banks tend to set the username/password themself.)
RE: RE: Cracking the passwords.... by lrac522 on 09-19-2007 at 12:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
quote:

thats why you don't tell people your passwords :rolleyes:

EXACTLY! That's what I was just about to say...
RE: Cracking the passwords.... by Patchou on 09-19-2007 at 04:00 AM

Note: version 4.50 will allow you to set a password hint to prevent this kind of thing from happening.