Shoutbox

Need a program - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Need a program (/showthread.php?tid=77735)

Need a program by Jimbo on 09-23-2007 at 07:57 PM

... that can tell me all of my computer specs, ie, graphics card, RAM, proccessor etc, and also, where can i buy a new graphics card, porcessor or RAM and has anyone got a begginers guide on how to install these new components?

Thanks

RE: Need a program by prashker on 09-23-2007 at 08:01 PM

http://www.sisoftware.net/ My dad uses it :p.

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
everest home edition, if its still going

Or Everest :p.
RE: Need a program by toddy on 09-23-2007 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
that can tell me all of my computer specs, ie, graphics card, RAM, proccessor etc, and als
everest home edition, if its still going
quote:
where can i buy a new graphics card, porcessor or RAM
a computer shop
RE: Need a program by kao on 09-23-2007 at 08:13 PM

Everest Home Edition will tell you what you need, if you can find it.

To buy in UK, overclockers.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk and dabs.co.uk and a few you can try.

RE: Need a program by prashker on 09-23-2007 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alex

To buy in UK, overclockers.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk and dabs.co.uk and a few you can try.

UK sucks :D.

Anyways as for installing stuff, it's fairly simple, rule 1, do everything when the PC is OFF and Unplugged :p. Most things just plug into stuff =p, so if you are lame and ask someone to install for you make sure he does not overcharge you ;-).
RE: Need a program by Menthix on 09-23-2007 at 08:34 PM

SIW (System Information for Windows). Freeware, no installation, and shows just about everything.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

RE: Need a program by Mike on 09-23-2007 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Need a program

... that can tell me all of my computer specs, ie, graphics card, RAM, proccessor etc
devmgmt.msc
RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-23-2007 at 09:27 PM

Im a noob at this osrta thing, so how do i know what graphics cards my computer support, and what type of RAM to get?
At the mo, i think i have an NVIDIA 7300GS if that helps :/

RE: Need a program by Menthix on 09-23-2007 at 09:36 PM

Use SIW (see my other post) or another program suggested to look up your motherboard model. Then search the specifications from that model on Google, it will tell you what type of graphics slot (AGP/PCI-e) it has and what kind of RAM it supports. Just post your motherboard model here if you can't figure it out.

RE: Need a program by ShawnZ on 09-23-2007 at 09:40 PM

use msinfo32.exe. if need be, use cpu-z

RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-24-2007 at 01:23 PM

My motherboard is amd athlon 64 x2 4200+, i hope this helps.

RE: Need a program by toddy on 09-24-2007 at 01:34 PM

quote:
thats your processor, not motherboard
RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-24-2007 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
thats your processor, not motherboard
oh, me = newb.
Does this help?

quote:
Property                   Value
Manufacturer               ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model                      M2NPV-VM
Version                    1.xx
Serial Number              123456789000

South Bridge               MCP51 LPC Bridge

CPU                        AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Cpu Socket                 Socket AM2 [Socket AM2 ]
Processor Upgrade         
Max CPU Speed              3700 MHz

System Slots               4 PCI

RE: Need a program by toddy on 09-24-2007 at 02:01 PM

your motherboard

RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-24-2007 at 07:05 PM

Ok, i dont really understand that, so will the  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra,  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX, NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS all work with it?
And does anyone think i should get a new processor? if so, which one would be compatible? and would be good.
Also does anything think i should get osme new RAM, and what type of RAM wouuld be besy suited and where to buy it from would be helpful too.

RE: Need a program by Mike on 09-24-2007 at 09:58 PM

It looks like your motherboard supports PCI Express, so it shouldn't have any problems with any of the cards you mentioned above, but you may want to wait for somebody else to verify it.

RE: Need a program by andrewdodd13 on 09-24-2007 at 10:59 PM

It should support any PCI-e graphics card, however from the diagram there's no PCI-e 1x slot, so don't be expecting SLI.

As for upgrading the processor... "me = newb" (cba quoting properly :p) imo says... don't try it. A 4200+ is a decent processor anyway. If you really must try it this should work with your motherboard and is the phattests AMD AM2 processor on the market last time I checked.

You might needs a new fan as well... and don't forget the thermal vaseline paste/pads.

RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-25-2007 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
It should support any PCI-e graphics card, however from the diagram there's no PCI-e 1x slot, so don't be expecting SLI.

As for upgrading the processor... "me = newb" (cba quoting properly :p) imo says... don't try it. A 4200+ is a decent processor anyway. If you really must try it this should work with your motherboard and is the phattests AMD AM2 processor on the market last time I checked.

You might needs a new fan as well... and don't forget the thermal vaseline paste/pads.
Ok, where can i buy a fan from, and umm whats LCI? lol and if theres no clot how would i plug it in?
RE: Need a program by vaccination on 09-25-2007 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
It looks like your motherboard supports PCI Express, so it shouldn't have any problems with any of the cards you mentioned above, but you may want to wait for somebody else to verify it.
Only problem is the 8800 are as big as two PCI-E slots(only uses one but the fan on top takes up the space :P)

And by the looks of your board it only has 2 slots, so you won't be able to put anything else in..which probably isn't the best idea.

Jimbo: You can buy a fan from any PC shop, or online PC store. I suggest Scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk. Maplins even has a (small) range of fans.
RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-25-2007 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Only problem is the 8800 are as big as two PCI-E slots(only uses one but the fan on top takes up the space :P)

And by the looks of your board it only has 2 slots, so you won't be able to put anything else in..which probably isn't the best idea.

Jimbo: You can buy a fan from any PC shop, or online PC store. I suggest Scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk. Maplins even has a (small) range of fans.
Ok, so what is the best graphics card that is compatible with my computer and only takes up 1 slot
RE: Need a program by Jimbo on 09-26-2007 at 02:17 PM

Bump?

RE: Need a program by Sunshine on 09-26-2007 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Everest Home Edition will tell you what you need, if you can find it.

EVEREST Home Edition (freeware, discontinued)