Shoutbox

Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=77781)

Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by Sunshine on 09-25-2007 at 10:42 PM

Remember me posting a rectification about MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 on Windows XP? No? Well i was convinced you were allowed to without being bugged to upgrade since it said in system requirements you can use this version on Windows XP. Later i got told this got in the requirements by mistake (which was to be fixed) and that all on Windows XP will have to upgrade to windows Live Messenger.

Surprise surprise, today Microsoft decided that you are allowed to use MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 on Windows XP afterall!

quote:
Originally posted by http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!29966.entry

MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 now available for Windows XP - posted by Anand

We’ve seen feedback from several people that they would like to stay on a version of MSN Messenger.  Given that many of us currently on the Windows Live Messenger team also worked on MSN Messenger for years, we can appreciate the sentiment.  Based on this, we have a new option we hope you’ll like.

For those of you on XP who are passionate about staying on MSN Messenger, we’ve now released the new, more secure build of MSN Messenger 7.0 build 0820 for Windows XP, and we recommend you install and use this build (rather than running MSN Messenger 7.5 on XP in Windows 2000 compatibility mode as we realize some of you are doing).  If you currently have MSN Messenger 7.5 installed, we recommend you uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs and install MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-9904-9505f47bed45

RE: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by spongeboy on 09-26-2007 at 03:23 AM

Awesome! Thanks! I really appreciate your heads up on the old MSN. I've been waiting for this since the day I had to download Live. It was freezing too much. Anyways thanks a lot! By the way what's the difference between MSN 7.5 and MSN 7.0?

RE: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by exbox on 09-26-2007 at 06:40 AM

they probably received 1000s of complaints...

RE: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by Sunshine on 09-26-2007 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spongeboy
Awesome! Thanks mann! I really appreciate your heads up on the old MSN. I've been waiting for this since the day I had to download Live. It was freezing too much. Anyways thanks a lot! By the way what's the difference between MSN 7.5 and MSN 7.0?
you're welcome :)

MSN Messenger 7.5, new features

RE: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by gideonblue on 10-03-2007 at 01:51 AM

Unfortunately, it still isn't working for me. I downloaded version 7 like you suggested. It worked, but when I powered up my puter and tried to sign in it says, "a newer version is available. you must install the newer version in order to continue."

Any thoughts????

RE: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by Voldemort on 10-03-2007 at 03:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by spongeboy
Thanks mann!
+wo

RE: Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger by Sunshine on 10-04-2007 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gideonblue
Unfortunately, it still isn't working for me. I downloaded version 7 like you suggested. It worked, but when I powered up my puter and tried to sign in it says, "a newer version is available. you must install the newer version in order to continue."

Any thoughts????
Hmm, on which OS are you? Note that users on Windows Vista still need to update to Windows Live Messenger.

I'll inquire about this...

quote:
Originally posted by Voldermort
+wo
You just put a smile on my face...hehehe remarkable how some still don't know eh :D

Edit - results of inquirements:
More people have reported this to Microsoft and in most cases a clean install of 7.0.0820 helps. What might have happened is that you downloaded the wrong 7 version by mistake because there are still various versions about on the download center (either that or some program on your computer prevented a correct install/reverted it back on reboot ...some security programs roll back on reboot).
My advice: uninstall your current MSN Messenger version, download from the link i mentioned in my first post and reinstall. If you still get update warning after that check if there's any programs running which might do a rollback and temporarily turn it off or install in safemode.