Shoutbox

Need Help! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Need Help! (/showthread.php?tid=77785)

Need Help! by Tadillac on 09-26-2007 at 01:56 AM

So I registered with this forum because everybody generally seemed to know what they are talking about. So here's my problem.

I ran Kapversky Anti-Virus and found some "viruses" on some files that I had. Without thinking I started "cleaning up" and in the process deleted my windows logon file. Now when I restarted my computer I log in, I see the wallpaper quickly and then I get logged back out. Now a simple repair would suffice in this situation I realize. Because I tried that. It goes so far and then I'm hit with a "GULP" blue screen that says c00021a {Fatal System Error} blah blah blah System was shut down. So I can't repair, I can't reformat, and I can't log in to do a system restore. So I'm in dire need of some help and if anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Tadillac

RE: Need Help! by Chris4 on 09-26-2007 at 02:12 AM

Can you not insert your Windows (XP?) disc and repair Windows from the disc?

RE: Need Help! by Tadillac on 09-26-2007 at 02:18 AM

I do that and that's when I get the fatal system error screen.  And then the system shuts down.

RE: Need Help! by Chris4 on 09-26-2007 at 02:32 AM

On the XP disc, can you get to the menu where you can select Repair? Tried Recovery console instead? If not, go on it and type in chkdsk /r

Also, have you tried Safe Mode?

quote:
Originally posted by http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/508908-big-help-compaq-d500.html
Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select "Last Known Good Configuration" and press enter. If that fails to resolve it, again boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select Safe Mode and Press enter. In Safe Mode, accept the option to go to System Restore and try restoring your system to a time prior to the appearance of this problem.

RE: Need Help! by Tadillac on 09-26-2007 at 02:50 AM

I put the disc in and get to the screen that asks me to repair.  I hit 'R' and it thinks for awhile and goes through another screen like it is going to start and then the blue fatal error screen pops up.  And that's as far as I can go.  Is there anyway I can bypass the logon screen to do a system restore?

RE: Need Help! by Chris4 on 09-26-2007 at 03:05 AM

After you log on, can you do CTRL+ALT+DEL ?

RE: Need Help! by Nagamasa on 09-26-2007 at 03:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
After you log on,
quote:
Originally posted by Tadillac
Now when I restarted my computer I log in, I see the wallpaper quickly and then I get logged back out.

RE: Need Help! by Chris4 on 09-26-2007 at 03:57 AM

The period when he can quickly see his wallpaper.

RE: Need Help! by Tadillac on 09-26-2007 at 06:06 PM

I hit ctl+alt+del when i see my wallpaper and nothing happens.  just says saving settings and brings me back to my log on screen.

RE: Need Help! by stu on 09-28-2007 at 11:45 PM

Im going to assume that you use the welcome screen.. Instead of clicking on your username, hit ctrl+alt+delete (sometimes has to be twice) and it will take you to the old school login promt. Type 'Administrator' as the username, and enter the password used when windows was installed, which could just be blank.. Once you get logged in on there, try doing a system restore. That should work assuming that only your user account settings were deleted..

RE: Need Help! by Verte on 09-29-2007 at 08:24 AM

Ah, the fabled c00021a, upset Gina.

I was sure we'd discussed this before on here but I couldn't find it.

Maybe booting from some kind of LiveCD, you could check out NTUser.dat and the Gina & domain controller related .dlls.

Still, it's a wonder Windows would let you delete any of that stuff, so that might not be it.

EDIT: I remember there may have been talk about a particular update that broke the domain controller etc on a handful of systems, so you might not have caused it. Unless, of course, you have a rough idea of what you deleted.

RE: Need Help! by Tadillac on 09-29-2007 at 06:16 PM

When my computer boots up it automatically goes to the old school logon screen.  I then use the Administrator name and it does the same thing.  Shows a different background and then saves settings and logs out.

RE: Need Help! by Verte on 09-30-2007 at 05:29 AM

Do you remember what you deleted?

Do you have a LiveCD of some sort or another computer you can stick this hard drive in to poke around on it?

RE: Need Help! by Tadillac on 10-01-2007 at 04:27 PM

No I don't have another computer that I can plug the hard drive into.  I really wish I did, but I got rid of it a while back.