Shoutbox

Live Messenger Freezes for a few minutes then comes back. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Live Messenger Freezes for a few minutes then comes back. (/showthread.php?tid=77885)

Live Messenger Freezes for a few minutes then comes back. by stugster on 09-30-2007 at 11:15 PM

Hey guys.

I'm using Windows Live messenger (well trying to!).

Once I've managed to Sign in, I have to wait a few minutes for it "coming round" again before I can chat.

Once I'm in conversations, it just all of a sudden freezes up on me - and I have no idea why! I have to wait a few minutes for it to come back - and usually it does.

Quite annoying!

I'm on broadband, with a Linksys router. There are two computers connected via wires, and one laptop on wifi.  They're all using Windows XP Professional.

I have also tried disabling the firewall software that comes with Windows; still no joy :(

I emailed MSN, and they said it was the router - well, that's crap. I've tried directly connecting one computer to the cable modem, and the problem still exists. I've also tried removing the software entirely (clearing the folders, deleting the registry), and that still hasn't resolved it.

Anyone got any ideas?

RE: Live Messenger Freezes for a few minutes then comes back. by Chris4 on 09-30-2007 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stugster
I've also tried removing the software entirely (clearing the folders, deleting the registry), and that still hasn't resolved it.
Try deleting Contacts cache, that seems to be the fix for a lot of people lately.

My Computer. Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files and folders

My Computer > Your hard drive (usually C:\) > Documents and Settings > [Your user] > Contacts > Delete the folder with your email address.

What are your specs? Try closing other programs that aren't in use.
RE: Live Messenger Freezes for a few minutes then comes back. by Jimbo on 10-01-2007 at 05:50 PM

Mine used to do this on WLM 8.0, but it stopped on 8.1 and 8.5, what WLM are you using?