Shoutbox

SetPoint - Do I need it? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: SetPoint - Do I need it? (/showthread.php?tid=77897)

SetPoint - Do I need it? by ryxdp on 10-01-2007 at 10:30 AM

I have a logitech media keyboard (corded) and I'm just wondering if I really need this SetPoint app running in the background? Will all the extra keys still work?

(probably not :/)

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Menthix on 10-01-2007 at 11:01 AM

Setpoint is Logitech's mouse/keyboard driver. If you disable it special keys and other additional features on your keyboard may stop working.

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-01-2007 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Setpoint is Logitech's mouse/keyboard driver. If you disable it special keys and other additional features on your keyboard may stop working.

Hence the 'may'

On my MX3000 Cordless Desktop, there is a dial that you turn which is the volume control. With Windows Drivers it goes up and down silently, with SetPoint it shows this retarded thing on the screen in big green letters VOLUME | | | | | | - - - -  and it's really pissing me off :(.
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Phillip on 10-01-2007 at 11:51 AM

No everything should still work fine.

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-01-2007 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
No everything should still work fine.

And how would you configure the 'F Keys' and the Special Function buttons :p?
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by albert on 10-01-2007 at 12:13 PM

Depending on what keyboard/mice you have from logitech, you might need it.

Most of their peripherals will work without the program, but you will not be able to use any special function, reprogram your buttons and well have the notifications messages on the screen.

My advice is for you to install it, try it out, and then decide if you want to keep it or not.

RE: RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Verte on 10-01-2007 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Hence the 'may'

On my MX3000 Cordless Desktop, there is a dial that you turn which is the volume control. With Windows Drivers it goes up and down silently, with SetPoint it shows this retarded thing on the screen in big green letters VOLUME | | | | | | - - - -  and it's really pissing me off :(.

Can't you comment that part out and recompile? ;)
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Menthix on 10-01-2007 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Can't you comment that part out and recompile?
Is SetPoint opensource :o?

Like albert said, try with it and without it and see what you miss. If you don't need the features added by SetPoint go without it (saves a bit of resources, and SetPoint doesn't seem that stable either :)).
RE: RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Verte on 10-01-2007 at 04:00 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Can't you comment that part out and recompile?
Is SetPoint opensource :o?

I'm pretty sure it isn't. I get annoyed when software [especially driver software for hardware I've paid for] is stupid and they won't let me fix it.

That said, it looks like setpoint is somewhat malleable :) the config is held in xml files. Worth a look. So is this.
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-01-2007 at 04:31 PM

It's not OpenSource :sad:.

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Patchou on 10-01-2007 at 05:04 PM

Open the Tools tab, click on the "Indicator Settings" icon on the left (the icon that uses Logitech's logo") and uncheck "Show status settings changes on screen", that should do it.

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-01-2007 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Open the Tools tab, click on the "Indicator Settings" icon on the left (the icon that uses Logitech's logo") and uncheck "Show status settings changes on screen", that should do it.

Yeah I know, I'm just saying :p.

Also the SetPoint's 'Universal Scroll' (when you press the middle button in on the mouse scroll...'cruise control scrolling') Is different :p.
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by ryxdp on 10-01-2007 at 11:13 PM

Most of my keys seem to work (volume, launcher, back key, wmp keys) with the exception of the F keys and the close key (never used them anyway). All in all, I'd say I don't need SetPoint, though I have a feeling the keyboard is using the files for some of the keys.

Thanks guys :P

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-01-2007 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
Most of my keys seem to work (volume, launcher, back key, wmp keys) with the exception of the F keys and the close key (never used them anyway). All in all, I'd say I don't need SetPoint, though I have a feeling the keyboard is using the files for some of the keys.

Thanks guys :P

I actually just got a new keyboard today (LCD screen :drool:, (l) Logitech warranty).

And the only reason I am keeping SetPoint is because of the Winamp 5 Media control buttons. And also it has a Touch Scroll button :drool: and a Flip3D button :drool:.

Which for some reason logitech calls "Document Flip"

Also the middle click to open a link in a new tab for FireFox sometimes breaks, but that's fine.

Edit: Fixed. Changed Middle Click Function from "AutoScroll" to "Middle Button" :).

Anyways....yeah :p.
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Mike on 10-02-2007 at 12:07 PM

Sonicsam: G15 or MX3200? Something else probably :P

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-02-2007 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Sonicsam: G15 or MX3200? Something else probably :P

It's the MX3200 actually, I had the MX3000 but they don't produce it and since I had a warranty they gave me the next thing up :p.
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Mike on 10-02-2007 at 12:23 PM

I'm currently typing this from an MX3200 too :P
Btw, that dynamic scroll/zoom function is kinda useless. That's why you have the arrow keys/page up/down :P

Also, my receiver has a problem: After some time of use, when I press a key that key is pressed many times. It only happens with that key. I remove and reinsert the receiver and it works fine then for some weeks.
There are some similar topics at logitech's forums.

RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-02-2007 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Also, my receiver has a problem: After some time of use, when I press a key that key is pressed many times. It only happens with that key. I remove and reinsert the receiver and it works fine then for some weeks.
There are some similar topics at logitech's forums.

Logitech products have a 5year warranty, just say you've done already tried multiple SetPoint versions, windows drivers alone and it still does it (to avoid them giving you crappy help and directly to the free replacement).

Thats what I did :p. (I actually said I was using XP instead of Vista also, so they couldn't use an excuse :).

I like the Zoom button, just for the sake of it, it's cool :p.
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by Mike on 10-02-2007 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
tried multiple SetPoint versions
I don't use SetPoint :P

Maybe a firmware upgrade of the receiver would fix it, but I haven't tried it yet... |-)
RE: SetPoint - Do I need it? by prashker on 10-02-2007 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Logitech products have a 5year warranty, just say you've done already tried multiple SetPoint versions, windows drivers alone and it still does it (to avoid them giving you crappy help and directly to the free replacement).

No, you just say that so they don't make you :p