Shoutbox

Firewall in my university!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firewall in my university!! (/showthread.php?tid=77900)

Firewall in my university!! by kryp2nyt on 10-01-2007 at 01:11 PM

Hi all :)

Am having a problem, regarding my university's firewall.

MSN messenger simply doesn't log in there! It tells me my gateway is 'offline' when i run diagnosing, also, torrent downloads are not working as well.

Is there a way to get those two working? As those are the only important applications to me.

P.S: I tried making Yahoo Messenger work on the 'Firewall with no proxy', and it worked!

I need any software or thing to bypass/get this things work !

RE: Firewall in my university!! by Volv on 10-01-2007 at 01:17 PM

They've probably blocked the required ports. You can use a web-based version such as eBuddy but I apart from that you really shouldn't try to work around measures which universities put in place to prevent students from doing something as they're generally more strict and less forgiving.

RE: Firewall in my university!! by kryp2nyt on 10-01-2007 at 01:23 PM

Ebuddy is also blocked.

I want the workaround if there is one, because am growing so pissed of this :@

RE: Firewall in my university!! by MeEtc on 10-01-2007 at 02:10 PM

have you tried Meebo?

RE: Firewall in my university!! by kryp2nyt on 10-01-2007 at 02:12 PM

BLOCKED !! :'(

RE: Firewall in my university!! by MeEtc on 10-01-2007 at 02:14 PM

Then they have blocked it for a reason. Trying to get around it might cause you more problems than what its worth.

RE: Firewall in my university!! by kryp2nyt on 10-01-2007 at 02:17 PM

all instant messaging applications and websites have been blocked actually.

And besides, torrent downloads are not working as well.

But, as i mentioned, Yahoo Messenger worked uner 'firewall with no proxy', so if it worked, am sure there are ways to get over this darn firewall...software maybe?!

RE: RE: Firewall in my university!! by Verte on 10-01-2007 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kryp2nyt
all instant messaging applications and websites have been blocked actually.

And besides, torrent downloads are not working as well.

But, as i mentioned, Yahoo Messenger worked uner 'firewall with no proxy', so if it worked, am sure there are ways to get over this darn firewall...software maybe?!

Possibly. Where's xen0h when you need him?

Software.. maybe. If you have another machine set up somewhere and you can communicate with it over port 80, it can't be too hard to use that as a gateway. There has got to be software that lets you do that.

By the way, you do realise that the yahoo and msn networks are connected, right? You could just use Yahoo.
RE: Firewall in my university!! by kryp2nyt on 10-01-2007 at 03:15 PM

Not exactly i can use yahoo for various reasons:

I keep yahoo only for my family, whilst MSN is for friends, being said: I use MSN 7.5, so its not compatible with the new yahoo!

I just need a workaround :'(

Also, i need it for torrent downloads :d

RE: Firewall in my university!! by Verte on 10-01-2007 at 03:50 PM

Ah, well the sort of work around I was picturing would have another machine acting as a proxy. That would slow torrents right down, in fact, it would be easier, cheaper [really] and faster just to use your home machine directly for that.

I don't mean just use a Yahoo ID, I mean use the Yahoo client. You will have access to your msn friends through it, but you will be stuck with the Yahoo interface.

RE: Firewall in my university!! by Adeptus on 10-01-2007 at 04:07 PM

Simple -- set up a VPN with appropriate routes on a computer at your home, so that when you connect to it all your traffic is redirected over your home Internet connection. 

As added benefit, the school will not be able to monitor what you do over the VPN tunnel --  they will only be able to see the total amount of encrypted traffic between you and the VPN server, with absolutely no clue what it contains.

OpenVPN only requires one open port for the tunnel and can be configured to use any, so it will work in almost any situation.  The only limitations are that you must have an always on computer with an unrestricted connection to host the server, and some networking skills to set it up.

RE: RE: Firewall in my university!! by Verte on 10-01-2007 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Simple -- set up a VPN with appropriate routes on a computer at your home, so that when you connect to it all your traffic is redirected over your home Internet connection. 

OpenVPN only requires one open port for the tunnel and can be configured to use any, so it will work in almost any situation.  The only limitations are that you must have an always on computer with an unrestricted connection to host the server, and some networking skills to set it up.

Awesomeness. Again with the torrents though, it's pretty pointless if you want to take advantage of your schools bandwidth, it will actually use yours up twice as fast, if you get charged for uploads.
RE: Firewall in my university!! by kryp2nyt on 10-01-2007 at 04:15 PM

the VPN sounds nice, but, as the last poster said, i want to take advantage of my university's bandwidth

RE: Firewall in my university!! by Adeptus on 10-01-2007 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Again with the torrents though, it's pretty pointless if you want to take advantage of your schools bandwidth, it will actually use yours up twice as fast, if you get charged for uploads.
This is correct.  It would be smarter to run the torrent client on the home computer and only download the completed files.  However, a VPN will solve all the instant messaging and blocked website woes.
quote:
Originally posted by kryp2nyt
the VPN sounds nice, but, as the last poster said, i want to take advantage of my university's bandwidth
Sometimes you just don't get everything you want.  :P
RE: Firewall in my university!! by YottabyteWizard on 10-01-2007 at 04:29 PM

Wouldn't an online secure proxy work?

Like https://proxify.com/

With the https should work, try it also without being secure.

http://proxify.com/

I used it on my work.

RE: RE: RE: Firewall in my university!! by Jarrod on 10-05-2007 at 02:11 PM

quote:

Where's xen0h when you need him?

in isolation,

for surfing anywhere use a vpn or ssh server,
few things to try:
unblock a web proxy
     go to www.dot.tk or smartdots or something
     and setup a new url for that site
     (this normally works)

use a program most of them are crap and full of adware but
     some work in different situations, example = hopster {adw}

copy tor/vidalia/privoxy and try to configure to work behind the
     firewall

after entering the url go like this  *url.com.nyud.net:8090
     examples:
                  www.google.com.au.nyud.net:8090
                  www.google.com.au/download.zip.nyud.net:8090

.nyud.net:8090

hope I helped
RE: RE: RE: RE: Firewall in my university!! by rav0 on 10-06-2007 at 03:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
after entering the url go like this  *url.com.nyud.net:8090
     examples:
                  www.google.com.au.nyud.net:8090
                  www.google.com.au/download.zip.nyud.net:8090

The second one should be like this:
before:
http://www.google.com.au/download.zip
after:
http://www.google.com.au.nyud.net:8090/download.zip

Also some websites can be accessed directly by their IP address and such an access is not always blocked by a filter. You can sue a website like DNS Stuff to find out an IP address for a website.
RE: Firewall in my university!! by ShawnZ on 10-06-2007 at 03:30 AM

quote:

who the hell cares?

for msn, use openvpn. for bittorrent, get a client that supports encryption (you'll be unconnectable though.)
RE: RE: Firewall in my university!! by rav0 on 10-06-2007 at 03:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

who the hell cares?

for msn, use openvpn. for bittorrent, get a client that supports encryption (you'll be unconnectable though.)

That's no good when you're firewalled properly.
RE: Firewall in my university!! by Jarrod on 10-06-2007 at 05:53 AM

ssh works well they tried to block mine but they failed anf you can run ssh through their http port and own them..
i even told them which port to block and they were still stumped