Shoutbox

PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? (/showthread.php?tid=77926)

PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by gideonblue on 10-02-2007 at 06:48 PM

I downloaded the new messenger 7.5. Everything worked. But the next time I turned off the puter, and powered up again, the old messenger was there, not the new one (7.5). Oh well, no matter I thought. Problem was that it wouldn't let me log into the "old" messenger, and required me to download 7.5. So basically, I have to go through this routine ever time: i.e. first delete the messenger that exists, then download 7.5. It works until I turn off my puter, because when I turn it on again it doesn't work, then I have to delete messenger, power up, then download 7.5 again! This is ridiculous!

Can anyone help? PLEASE??

Thanks,

GB

RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by toddy on 10-02-2007 at 06:52 PM

Good News for those who wish to keep using MSN Messenger

RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by gideonblue on 10-02-2007 at 07:15 PM

Thanks Toddy. You're a life saver.

I spoke too quickly.

Although messenger worked with 7.0 when I powered up the puter again I got this message: "a newer version is available. you must install the newer version in order to continue."

Any thoughts??
RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by spongeboy on 10-03-2007 at 01:57 AM

Really? I downloaded MSN 7.0. I don't get that message. Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling, and then restarting your computer to save those changes?

RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by Chris4 on 10-03-2007 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gideonblue
I spoke too quickly.

Although messenger worked with 7.0 when I powered up the puter again I got this message: "a newer version is available. you must install the newer version in order to continue."

Any thoughts??
I can't see how. Microsoft made it specifically so it wouldn't come up with that message.

Try uninstalling MSN Messenger.
Clear your internet temporary files.
Download MSN Messenger from HERE.
Install.

(yn) Should work...
RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by AceyUnLtd on 10-03-2007 at 07:29 AM

One tiny little detail if you haven't read/realized.
If your going for version 7.0.0820 on XP system you'll need to uninstall/remove 7.5 (or any version of WLM for that matter) before you install 7.0.

RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by gideonblue on 10-11-2007 at 01:09 PM

Guys, I am trying everything and it's just not working. Any other tips??

RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by tosikosi on 10-11-2007 at 02:36 PM

go this way

C:ProgramFiles\Msn Messeger\msnmsgr.exe

or w/e is ur msn located
Now right click on the exe and click protertries then click Compatibility and then "Mark" the Run This program in Compatibility mode for:
and change to windows 2000
if wont work try changing to 98 etc....BAI :D

RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by vikke on 10-11-2007 at 02:58 PM

This is a pretty good guide that shows how to run any older version of Messenger:
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=22703

RE: RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by saintgtril on 10-20-2007 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tosikosi
go this way

C:ProgramFiles\Msn Messeger\msnmsgr.exe

or w/e is ur msn located
Now right click on the exe and click protertries then click Compatibility and then "Mark" the Run This program in Compatibility mode for:
and change to windows 2000
if wont work try changing to 98 etc....BAI :D

i am doing this for my msn 7.5.0324 in my window xp professional. what pissed me off is that intermittently, my msn messenger got upgrade to msn live automatically.

can anyone advise how to stop this upgrade automatically? any points will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by Nagamasa on 10-20-2007 at 08:42 PM

You could uninstall Live Messenger, then install MSN Messenger 7.0, NOT 7.5.

RE: RE: PLEASE HELP! "A newer version is available"? by saintgtril on 10-21-2007 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
You could uninstall Live Messenger, then install MSN Messenger 7.0, NOT 7.5.

i downloaded MSN Messenger 7.0.0820. and when i returned to my laptop after a period, it got upgraded to msn live again.

can anyone advise what is wrong? thanks in advance.