Shoutbox

WEIRD Hotmail spam - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: WEIRD Hotmail spam (/showthread.php?tid=77947)

WEIRD Hotmail spam by Mamemo on 10-03-2007 at 03:23 PM

I looked at my inbox and there were some spam..  The message sender was my own email address, like:

Sender: mamemosmailhere@hotmail.com Message subject: Buy now we offer!!

How did that happen? Did someone get an access to my account? :| How did the spammers even get my email address as its "private", I only use it for some forum registrations?

RE: WEIRD Hotmail spam by prashker on 10-03-2007 at 03:32 PM

Fake Email sender could have been used :p.

RE: WEIRD Hotmail spam by RaceProUK on 10-03-2007 at 06:16 PM

E-mail addresses are not private, and you wouldn't believe how easy it is to fake the 'From' header in an e-mail.

RE: WEIRD Hotmail spam by rav0 on 10-04-2007 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mamemo
I looked at my inbox and there were some spam..  The message sender was my own email address, like:

Sender: mamemosmailhere@hotmail.com Message subject: Buy now we offer!!

How did that happen? Did someone get an access to my account?
Your account is probably safe. An email sender can put whatever address they like as the from and to addresses, even if the email is not going from or to those addresses at all.

However, Hotmail will detect when an email's from address if @hotmail.com but the email really isn't from Hotmail and will mark it with a banner at the top saying that it may not be from who it claims to be from.

You may change your password and secret question for extra security. You could also report the email to Hotmail Customer Services since it's not being picked up as forged.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamemo
How did the spammers even get my email address as its "private", I only use it for some forum registrations?

Perhaps it's because of one of those forums that you are getting spam, or maybe one of your friends passed on your email address.