Shoutbox

Environmental Survey - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Environmental Survey (/showthread.php?tid=78015)

Environmental Survey by John Anderton on 10-06-2007 at 12:20 PM

I need to present a small report at univ and the topic that I selected was the environment. A physical survey has already been performed and now an online one is needed so I was hoping you people could help me :)

The question, though not a perfect one, is if under a hypothetical condition it ever comes down to the point where all gasoline vehicles must be discarded and say only electric vehicles be used, would you do it?
What you must know is that in this case electric cars

• are very costly.
  • need a lot of electricity (and electricity is quite costly).
  • do not cause any pollution what so ever.
Also, since the number of vehicles are down quite a bit, the government increases the number of public transport options. So now public transport isn't crowded, always on time (we're learning from Japan perhaps? :P If nothing else, this is "hypothetical" ;)), comfortable and very frequent. :-)

Now your options are
  1. I'd much rather use public transport.
  2. I'd go for it without a second thought.
  3. I'd go for it but grumble about it a lot.
  4. I'd be a rebel and still use gasoline cars.
  5. Use another alternative. (Fuel cell technology :-))

I'd be thankful to everyone who posts and votes here. If your reply is good enough, you'll be quoted in the report and be immortalised forever :P (well.. this report will be documented and used by other people ever researching on this topic :P)
This isn't just about cars. Its about all gasoline vehicles we're using.

Another question: How do you travel everyday?
My answer: Public transport (Buses and trains) and walking. On the rare occasion I use my motorcycle :)
RE: Environmental Survey by davidpolitis on 10-06-2007 at 12:37 PM

Usually use Public Transport (mostly trains) and walk whenever possible.

RE: Environmental Survey by Aeryn on 10-06-2007 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton

Public transport and walking.
RE: Environmental Survey by Menthix on 10-06-2007 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Bicycle and walking. Train and an occasional bus for longer distances (both free during workdays as a student).
RE: RE: Environmental Survey by EBFL on 10-06-2007 at 01:14 PM

quote:

Car.
RE: Environmental Survey by Oxy on 10-06-2007 at 01:18 PM

quote:
Usually walking and publice transport. If i've no money for bus (which is very rare) i'd have to use car/bike.
RE: Environmental Survey by markee on 10-06-2007 at 01:43 PM

I usually ride my bicycle to the train station for uni and then get a lift home in the car from the train.

Also you may want to recognise that electric cars aren't overly expensive at the moment, they just don't have the same mileage (which is slowly changing with new batteries and advances in the capture of solar power).  Also the methods of producing electricity can be extremely clean and in some cases actually benefit the environment by doing it (using methane or other natural gases for instance).

If the government were to invest so much into public transport to make it that accessible then where are they getting so much money from?  As you stated electricity is apparently expensive so they would have to have extremely high prices to compensate or to use gasoline which would go against the reasoning of taking public transport instead.  I guess natural gas would be an option, but why wouldn't we just use that in our cars instead if it is so cheap?

I do realise this is hypothetical but it seems too far fetched if you use a little bit of logic about it.  :P

RE: Environmental Survey by Tasha on 10-06-2007 at 02:30 PM

quote:

Public Transport (bus) and walking.
RE: Environmental Survey by aNILEator on 10-06-2007 at 02:35 PM

the future hopefully will be hydrogen.

or hydrogen/gas/electric hybrids

the cost of public transport will always be going up (especially in England anyway) as there will always be something that needs doing so they up the prices then when we think it's normal again they'll up them again and say its to pay for better this and that in XX years time till then you'll suffer in even more crowded same buses and trains in worse condition than ever... but you'll be getting new ones in 12 years time...

8-)

Currently I travel by Bus, skateboard and walk, mainly walk

RE: Environmental Survey by YottabyteWizard on 10-06-2007 at 02:35 PM

Public transport (bus/taxi) and walking.

RE: Environmental Survey by Supersonicdarky on 10-06-2007 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
that won't be likely because it's like a less efficient electric

Electirc Car: power grid > battery > driving
Hydrogen Car: power grid > water electrolysis (makes hydrogen) > hydrogen cell > hydrogen back to electricity > driving

the extra steps make it less efficient because no energy conversion is 100% efficient

:)

---

I always bike
RE: Environmental Survey by Thor on 10-06-2007 at 03:12 PM

quote:
I go by bus when it's in the local area. However, cars are more frequent used, since it tends to be handy in the large area of a quite light population.
Of course, I bicycle alot and walk some aswell.
RE: Environmental Survey by andrewdodd13 on 10-06-2007 at 03:17 PM

Trust me, if they were going to ban Petrol / Diesel powered cars there would be a very viable alternative available - high-ranking politicians usually have the worst eco-friendly cars on the market.

Right now I take the bus to Uni. I'll be driving once I pass my test though, cause the bus goes through the centre of town and takes 1hr45 - 2 hours most of the time - the car takes half an hour to an hour at most during rush hour.

RE: RE: Environmental Survey by prashker on 10-06-2007 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
quote:

Public transport and walking.

RE: Environmental Survey by absorbation on 10-06-2007 at 03:43 PM

I would use public transport but here it has all be privatised and the companies aims are making more profit and it gets more expensive every year.

RE: Environmental Survey by Nathan on 10-06-2007 at 03:44 PM

Weekends I will use the car to go to far places, else I walk
Weekdays I use no transport but walking - because I am at school

RE: Environmental Survey by Kenji on 10-06-2007 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Walking, Bus, Train, Car. :tongue:
RE: Environmental Survey by vaccination on 10-06-2007 at 04:32 PM

I walk anywhere that is within walking distance. But travel via car to most other places.

RE: Environmental Survey by Rolando on 10-06-2007 at 05:16 PM

I'd use electric cars.................................. as long as they look cool (H)

RE: Environmental Survey by Phillip on 10-06-2007 at 05:20 PM

If I didn't have to catch 4 buses to get to work I would use public transport. It takes me ~45 minutes to get to work and on the bus it takes over 2hrs.

And no I wouldn't use electric cars. I don't think anyone here actually sells them. Its just easier to use petrol.

RE: Environmental Survey by wolfeboy100 on 10-06-2007 at 05:30 PM

I have to drive to get to place, cause they don't offer public transportation here.  But i drive all the time cause i live 10 miles from town and since i live on a farm, i got my self a gas guzzling truck lol.

RE: Environmental Survey by lizard.boy on 10-06-2007 at 06:08 PM

I drive everywhere, it's easier and faster. Then again i live in a Canadian suburb.. nothing is really close. I would totally love to drive an all electric conversion though. (ie, rip the engine out of a gas driven car, and replace it with a big ass electric motor.)

RE: Environmental Survey by Matti on 10-06-2007 at 06:42 PM

If I'd have a driver license, I'd be annoyed that we'd have to use electric cars, but I'd use them anyway I think.

RE: Environmental Survey by toddy on 10-06-2007 at 06:46 PM

depends on how good electric cars become, if they match petrol models. then i don't see a problem. but if they slow, and cost lots of money to run. then i'd be pretty annoyed

RE: Environmental Survey by Nagamasa on 10-06-2007 at 06:50 PM

quote:
In Canada, I usually get a ride, unless to a neighboring friend's house.

In Hong Kong, I usually take the MTR (subway), unless it's to my dad's office, because he uses the "company vehicle".
quote:
The question, though not a perfect one, is if under a hypothetical condition it ever comes down to the point where all gasoline vehicles must be discarded and say only electric vehicles be used, would you do it?
If I lived in Canada, I would use a combination of both. It is simply uneconomical to have buses go through all the interior roads because it would take much too long to get to a destination approximately 10 km away. And using an electric car all the way would also be costly as well, as a result of your reasons. Instead, I would drive to the nearest arterial road for a nice Bus Rapid Transit ride to my destination, which probably makes much more sense.

If I was in a small city-state like Hong Kong and Singapore, I would take public transit without doubt. It is faster and cheaper in those places because you don't need to weave around the streets unlike going by car. The stations are much more spacious and welcoming (unlike the trashed up TTC ones), and itself is a nice attraction. And plus, you can't be that far away from a station, and you're most likely walking in air-conditioned venues there anyhow.
RE: Environmental Survey by ahmetgns on 10-07-2007 at 07:45 AM

I currently always drive my car everywhere.

If it was cheap and its battery had a long life enough, I would get a Ginger (Segway) and ride/drive (I don't know the exact word for this :P) it to my uni in all days but rainy, snowy or very cold ones. I tested it at my uni thanks to a Bank which brought it for Spring Festival of uni and I don't think I'll fall from it like Bush :o

RE: Environmental Survey by aNILEator on 10-07-2007 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
that won't be likely because it's like a less efficient electric

Electirc Car: power grid > battery > driving
Hydrogen Car: power grid > water electrolysis (makes hydrogen) > hydrogen cell > hydrogen back to electricity > driving

the extra steps make it less efficient because no energy conversion is 100% efficient

:)

---

I always bike

I was thinking more about that invention that had videos on the internet not too long ago where the guy was using water to weld stuff and power his car.
RE: Environmental Survey by andrewdodd13 on 10-07-2007 at 11:05 AM

Note that you don't actually need electricity to use a hydrogen fuel cell anymore, the fuel cell produces electricity and uses water.

See: Fuel Cell.

Although it does say the required mats for one of these are pretty expensive. :)