Shoutbox

Boy 11 Drives around. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Boy 11 Drives around. (/showthread.php?tid=78033)

Boy 11 Drives around. by Lourix on 10-07-2007 at 09:31 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7032155.stm
Opinions?

RE: READ THIS FUNNY AS: by markee on 10-07-2007 at 09:46 AM

Wow, I don't see that as funny but more sad.  The kid's mother is working at Burger King, probably getting minimum wage and the father is disabled so they would be struggling to live and have no other way of getting the father to the hospital other than by the son driving.  This is why I prefer the Australian health system (even with all of its flaws) over the American system, at least if we need transport to a hospital it is free (as long as you have cover, which everyone is Queensland does at least).

Unfortunately it seems like we may start to head more towards an American system soon :sad:.

RE: READ THIS FUNNY AS: by aNILEator on 10-07-2007 at 10:37 AM

Are there any advantages to the American Rip-off, evil bastard system at all?

RE: READ THIS FUNNY AS: by Lourix on 10-07-2007 at 11:00 AM

Well you wouldn't find that happening in Britain, its just funny to know that you got kids driving around in America.

RE: READ THIS FUNNY AS: by absorbation on 10-07-2007 at 11:02 AM

Wow, some things are really unbelievable these days :O

RE: READ THIS FUNNY AS: by saralk on 10-07-2007 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Are there any advantages to the American Rip-off, evil bastard system at all?

Since no one authority has a monopoly on healthcare, it leads to better quality of service, lower waiting times, and more doctors per patient.

Also, because it is based on the free market, drugs are developed faster and more drugs are available quicker, also owing to the fact that public bodies tend to have a lot of red tape, and a large top down management structure, which makes it quite hard for changes to be passed down.

However, the benefits of a completely private healthcare service come at a major cost that basic healthcare is only available to those who can afford it.

At least in a public healthcare service, if you can't afford your own healthcare, it is provided for you, even if it isn't as good as a private service. And even then, if you can afford better healthcare, you can always go private.
RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by absorbation on 10-07-2007 at 12:07 PM

What we pay in tax to the health service, Americans have to pay double in insurance.

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by markee on 10-07-2007 at 12:08 PM

In Australia we have both public and private health care.  Our public health care has been criticized a lot recently, but in reality it works well and the private system is there for those who want to pay not to wait.  We have cheap drugs (in many cases) because of government subsidies and our paramedics work for the government.  Our systems may not change quickly, but you don't need to change quickly if you are doing things correctly.  Health always loses lots of money and only a government can really make it affordable for everyone, which IMHO is the humane thing to do and there should be no justification that is good enough to privitise any required service (this includes water, electricity, telecommunications and health).  This is because these industries can charge whatever they like and you are basically forced to pay it because you need it to live in today's society.

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by MattyRid on 10-07-2007 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
In Australia we have both public and private health care.  Our public health care has been criticized a lot recently, but in reality it works well and the private system is there for those who want to pay not to wait.

But lets think about why it's been criticised..We have 2 main levels of Government who want to play the blame each other game rather than sorting through the issues presented and not to mention we have so many overseas bureaucrats who think that by cutting costs you can provide better health care. Not sure exactly which State of Australia you live in, but recently here in Sydney over the last week so many stories of mistreatment of pregnant women, elective surgery and other things that have lead to public outcry down here. And the worst part is that doctors and nurses are being told to do things to cut costs, therefore resulting in a sub-standard level of care. I have a few friends in the health system and they have told me that unless most of these bureaucrats go into front line duties for just one day, they have absolutely no idea on what crap nurses and doctors cop because of what these bureaucrats are telling them to do. Also add the fact that staffing is another issue, which further deepens the problem. A number of people are saying to get back to the days of training nurses on the job rather than at TAFE and Uni so they experience first hand various situations and aren't left feeling dumb not knowing what to do in a situation because they haven't experienced it through tertiary education.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
There should be no justification that is good enough to privitise any required service (this includes water, electricity, telecommunications and health).  This is because these industries can charge whatever they like and you are basically forced to pay it because you need it to live in today's society.

Not to mention that grocery prices here in Sydney are priced way above inflation rates as there are 2 problems;
1) 2 chains run most supermarkets
2) No real regulations are in place to control them

but then again I suppose I'm drawing a bit of a long bow on the Supermarket bit for other reasons :P

And not to mention how well Sydney's "ShittyRail" runs 8-)
RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by andrewdodd13 on 10-07-2007 at 01:06 PM

That's not funny, it's pretty dangerous.

This is funny, albeit old. :)

Look at the picture :)

Note: It wasn't me.

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by wolfeboy100 on 10-07-2007 at 04:42 PM

Well as my American Government teacher told me, we can afford free health insurance just the same way as the Great Britain does.

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by RaceProUK on 10-07-2007 at 05:12 PM

So long as it isn't mismanaged like our NHS.
Patrica Hewitt did nothing good to the NHS, just made it more of a money black hole.

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by vaccination on 10-07-2007 at 06:09 PM

Yeah, the NHS may be free, but it sure is ugly :P

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by aNILEator on 10-07-2007 at 07:48 PM

true i am currently doctorless in my on-going back problems as my last doc quit and i was never assigned a new one, we've been sending angry letters etc for months still no progress just letters of excuses for not sending out other letters yet 'we're sorry it's taking longer than expected to reply to you, we are looking into your case and will let you know by the end of the week' ..... repeat letter next week

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by RaceProUK on 10-07-2007 at 08:24 PM

What that means is they haven't done a damn thing, as they can't be bothered with all the red tape that now surrounds even buying new bog roll for the hospital loos. Ultimately, if you want the best healthcare in the UK, go BUPA. Otherwise, you could always try camping at a GP until they agree to see you.

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by aNILEator on 10-07-2007 at 09:44 PM

I can't get BUPA yet, and I'm not covered under my fathers either. It's a shame as my grandmother worked for the NHS for a very long time, retired and they pleaded her to come back again and again. yet despite that she has been treated like crap for actual treatment; you'd think someone they desperately want/need they might show an ounce of respect for.

Meh less about this, I'll wage my war alone (mostly), this thread's about a boy helping out his parents but suffering by the hand of the law in America for 'breaking the rules', not healthcare system conditions globally, I'll leave that to Michael Moore and other threads

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by Rolando on 10-07-2007 at 09:49 PM

I'm not American (Citizenship doesn't mean I'm American..), yet I live here and I feel offended (not mad, offended :P) by all of your generalizations.. If this boy's family had been born elsewhere it would've happened elsewhere.. don't come to me with the bs that this doesn't happen in england or whatever. :undecided:

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by aNILEator on 10-07-2007 at 09:57 PM

well in some respects this wouldn't happen in many other countries; He wouldn't have been driving his father to hospital had there been a health service of some description available to collect his father and take him to hospital, or have a home visit service.

As for his mother well I don't know whether she can drive or whether burger king is a long walk or bike ride away or whatever, but I doubt she wants her child to drive her to work ever, I'm sure a friend/family member or public service (bus etc) could help her get to work.

As for the kid, breaking speed limits whilst in chase from the cops really isn't the best of ideas. Just thinking is there any way he could claim ignorance of the charges against him at all?

RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by Stigmata on 10-07-2007 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by q25
.. don't come to me with the bs that this doesn't happen in england or whatever. (Smilie)

This would not happen in England.

Most of our 11 yr olds are about having sex and drinking white lighting in public parks while shouting abusive language at anyone who looks at them :)
RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by toddy on 10-07-2007 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
Most of our 11 yr olds are about having sex and drinking white lighting in public parks while shouting abusive language
oh.... the good old days :cheesy:
RE: RE: Boy 11 Drives around. by andrewdodd13 on 10-08-2007 at 06:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
Most of our 11 yr olds are about having sex and drinking white lighting in public parks while shouting abusive language
It's a shame, but it's only half true.

The other half consists of young geeklings who play Halo or CS: S with their mates so don't leave the house - and there's also the people who are a bit nicer.

When people say "blame the parents", many people will argue that's a lie. However, where I live, my dad told me he could tell who the bad kids where going to be just from who there parents were. I only know of about 3 exceptions to where he was wrong. :S

Of course, I've never actually known any of our "bad lot" to drive a car about before they got their licence, I've only seen what happened in that article (I was on the way home from cabbaging at a mates flat...)