Shoutbox

Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc (/showthread.php?tid=78047)

Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by alegator on 10-07-2007 at 11:30 PM

I have this brand new Verbatim DVD+RW disc (4.7Gb), top quality. I was using it without any issues in my PC with Nero 7 software. I took it to a friend's PC who also has Nero, and it was unable to be read. I brought it back to my PC and now I can't even format it using Nero InCD application (the software reports "No disc present" even when the DVD is inserted in the tray). Any way to fix this? Or is the DVD dead? Thanks.

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by Jarrod on 10-07-2007 at 11:53 PM

you probally damaged the wrong part of the disc
try another Verbatim disc in your burner and see if it picks it, and run nero drive info to give you an indication if it's the burner...

What brand of burner?

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by alegator on 10-08-2007 at 12:52 AM

It's an LG GSA-H42N and Nero Info Tool picks it up displaying all pertinent info correctly.I can also read/write to other discs. Any way to recover this disc?

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by Jarrod on 10-08-2007 at 02:51 AM

you could try using a cleaning agent or cleaning kit,
depends on what's on the disc but if it was important i'd get it cleaned by a video rental play they normally charge a couple of bucks but sometimes it's worht it

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by markee on 10-08-2007 at 04:41 AM

Nero 8 has something called RescueAgent which apparently tries its best to recover whatever it can from the disc.  I'm guessing there are other applications out there that do the same thing but you'd have to go looking for them.

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by Jarrod on 10-08-2007 at 04:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Nero 8 has something called RescueAgent which apparently tries its best to recover whatever it can from the disc.  I'm guessing there are other applications out there that do the same thing but you'd have to go looking for them.

but it thinks there's no disc in the drive so it probally won't give you the option

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by linx05 on 10-08-2007 at 09:20 AM

Get rid of incd and try erasing the disc with ImgBurn.

RE: Unable to read or format DVD+RW disc by alegator on 10-08-2007 at 04:09 PM

Well, I found the issue. I downgraded from Nero 8 back to Nero 7.9.0.6 which I always used without any trouble. So with Nero 7.9.0.6 installed I was able to reformat the DVD+RW disc and use it again to read/write files. Any Nero version newer than this one causes trouble in my PC.  Thanks everyone.