Shoutbox

Dreams of becoming a DJ.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. (/showthread.php?tid=78058)

Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Jhrono on 10-08-2007 at 01:44 PM

Hi there Plus!ers :p.

As the topic says, I have great dreams to become a DJ (and an economist in full time also lol). However, I've never been in touch with this environment and am currently looking for some advice (potentially free advice, that is lol)

I really like hip hop (good hip hop of course) and after having 'studied' it a bit and knowing more from the late 80's / 90's,  I think I now have enough  to start my dream. Starting with some simple mixes, just making compilations of songs I love, getting to know the 'game' works, get my idea?

Just look at DJ Premier's MPC + Sampling + Scratching great job in this video : (watch the first 50 seconds) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCU-qgR_4bM ... Just love the beat he makes on the MPC and the scratch / sample fits so greeeat. Doing that is my dream made into images lol.

Knowning some members have experience in this area (Exca, MC Inferno), I would like to ask them what should I read and what should I learn prior to buying gear and learning how to work with it.. I'm looking to buy some used mixers / decks for my first experience, but I really don't know what to pick and, further more, I don't even know if this is the right place to start on.

Just to conclude my hopes and dreams, I do not exclude House music from my horizons but I want to start with some type of music I'm into, and as I know very little about House... :P

For all of you who are saying "WHY IS THIS IN TECH TALK?!?!one", well, it's about TECHNOLOGIC musical aid lol (and how to start using it too)

Thanks y'all :)

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Snake on 10-08-2007 at 02:29 PM

Well right now I have a Behringer DX 1000. It is a DJ Mixer but then you have to buy your own CD deck or Turntable. I know they make units that have all that in one setup. I would recommend something like that.

To learn how to DJ I would do lots of re shearch on the internet. Then start mixing your own. The big thing I find when your actually using your equipment is make sure you know it well. If you don't you end taking way to much time trying to figure it out.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by toddy on 10-08-2007 at 03:30 PM

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/44/106/462/C...0%20MK3/index.html
or
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/44/106/462/DVJ-1000/index.html
&
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/44/74/461/DJM-600/index.html

however that will set you back £3000 or so. so if you want the cheap options. go for some numarks. a lot cheaper brand, but alrite/good quality. go have a look on http://www.decks.co.uk, find something that you think its good, but cheap. as you don't wanna be warming lots of money at the start. http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/numark/axis4 would be a good place to start looking

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Jhrono on 10-08-2007 at 05:33 PM

Hi there!

Thanks you all for your answers, I really appreciate them, but I'll ask again just to be sure : Do you think buying gear is the first step I should take?

I was looking not to exceed my purchases over 500 euros (~350 pounds) for starters, which means that I'll need to buy used gear but that doesn't bother me at all as long as I can learn from it :)

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Lourix on 10-08-2007 at 07:17 PM

First of all is there anyone you know that will let you have a go with their gear? If you havn't done it before or have little experience then asking someone to let you go on their gear would be pretty good. Also network with other DJs; ask them for advice and contacts. It's amazing what you can pick up just by watching other people and if you show enthusiasm most people should be willing to help.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Jhrono on 10-08-2007 at 08:15 PM

Hey Lourix!

Unfortunately.. No, there is no one I can ask for help or to have a go at it :(... I wish there was.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Voldemort on 10-08-2007 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Do you think buying gear is the first step I should take?
dude, try and see if you can rent some basic equipment (or if you can't find it, some basic 'virtual dj' thing), to see if you _really_ like it enough to spend up that much money on it.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Jhrono on 10-08-2007 at 09:46 PM

Again, there's no away to rent  / ask someone for equipment :s.. I've tried Virtual DJ many times, it just doesn't feel right but I know I've got the desire in me..

I just need to know what to buy and then.. read, keep trying until I succeed, which could take ages, but that doesn't worry me at all.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by user27089 on 10-09-2007 at 07:04 AM

If you want to create your own songs, then your best bet is to buy yourself a EMU-X sound card pack (need an internal one, and external), a decent usb keyboard, and pick yourself up a copy of Cubase SX3. Then of course you'll have to download the effects plugins etc, it's not such a difficult piece of software to get used to, you just really need a soundcard to use it, so it's expensive to get it started up.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by rav0 on 10-09-2007 at 07:27 AM

Since you haven't said whay you own already (I assume that you at least own a CD player), I would say get some decent speakers and amp (if you don't already). That'll let you learn more and play music with more volume, and it will last you for ages you could just use in in your lounge room even if you didn't want it. More DJ-style equipment I can't really recommend for you, but I would say to try out stuff that friends/family own or at a hotel or club somewhere (maybe even get a job there). Then you will get an idea of what kinf of stuff stuff you can always expect to have as standard and what extra features you like.

RE: Dreams of becoming a DJ.. by Exca on 10-19-2007 at 06:20 PM

Allright, I saw your PM Jhrono, bit late but yes i'm not active here anymore.

I'm in the "business" for years now and this hobby is becoming my life at this point so this is what I recommend. 

Don't spend money on a speakers/amplifier, spend it on music or other more important gear. Playing on loud volumes will not help you to become a dj, and you'll start at home probably where you're not able to turn up the volume anyway (and I mean REALLY turn up the volume as that's what a pro soundsystem is made for). Also, stay away from very professional and expensive gear like Pioneer, Denon, Allan&Heath. When you're a beginning DJ it's for your own good you get on with semi-professional gear. This means gear which is somewhere in the middle if you look at the pricetag. This way you didn't loose a fortune if it seems that it wasn't really a hobby ment for you after all. If it ís, then it will help you to become a dj, and learn you all basics you need to know to become one. When you feel like you have learned enough, when you're about to spin on location and when at about the same time your gear is getting older... it's time to upgrade to more quality gear with more features, rings and bells.

What is the type of gear you need to buy? Well there is so much choice when it comes to semi-pro gear. If you buy turntables; be sure they are at least Direct Drive. In this segment you likely have turntables in 'models'... the same turntable with a weak or a strong motor which you can derivate from the model number in many cases.
If you buy a mixer; look at what you want to spend and then compare all the options. The mixer which gives the most for the money is mostly the one with the less quality. Read opinions of people who bought the mixers and base your choice upon those two things. If you buy a CD-player, make sure it has hotstart/instant start and shock memory. Else you just wasted your money...

Headphones are less important. Choose one which suits you. This is a very personal choice like choosing your girlfriend. The cheaper headphones will do for home. When you want one for on the road; you'll pay in many cases 3x the price of a cheap one.

To come back on your soundsystem. Speakers and amp can be done by any speakers/amp. Even with a 5.1 surround system if you want to. This is good enough for home as you won't use professional speakers more than a surround system which is wasted money. If you get a party, make sure people get gear for you and do not bring your own. If it's a private party for your friends you can still hire. By the time you get professional you can buy a professional system for those occasions. I have one and I don't use it ;) it would be idiot to bring them down in clubs who are already fully equiped.

This post is very general. Let me know what you're up to.

Greets