Shoutbox

Probability of RAM causing freezing? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Probability of RAM causing freezing? (/showthread.php?tid=78091)

Probability of RAM causing freezing? by stoshrocket on 10-09-2007 at 07:07 PM

A couple of you may remember that a while back I posted about my computer restarting randomly and freezing. Well very recently it got a hell of a lot worse. the basic problem is that the whole computer jut freezes. I've tried checking for overheating, checking the cables, cleaning my computer, and very recently reformatted windows all to no avail. Also however, since the reformatting I've gotten a BSOD instead of a straight freeze twice (in around a month). The code is 0000009c or something of the like, which is apparently a RAM error. How strong is the possibility that buying new RAM would fix the problem?

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by vaccination on 10-09-2007 at 08:14 PM

I would say it's very likely bad RAM, or lack of RAM would cause freezing. Sounds like the PC is running out of memory and subsequently freezing/rebooting.

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by aNILEator on 10-09-2007 at 09:06 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

is fairly explanatory, unrecoverable hardware error, if you're suspicious of RAM I have 3 x 512 DDR1 sticks I could sell (new mobo is DDR2 and will not take DDR1's so they'll sit gather dust)

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by Snake on 10-10-2007 at 01:11 AM

I would try Memtest before going out and spending money on RAM. It usually takes a long time to run a full scan. Start it before you go to bed or something.

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by Oxy on 10-10-2007 at 11:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Snake
I would try Memtest before going out and spending money on RAM. It usually takes a long time to run a full scan. Start it before you go to bed or something.
thing is, what if it freezes during scan?
RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by vaccination on 10-10-2007 at 11:47 AM

Memtest runs at bootup, before Windows starts, IIRC. You burn the iso to a cd and boot from it, basically.

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by Snake on 10-10-2007 at 10:33 PM

I have the floppy version but yes you boot off the disk. Eather one.

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by ShawnZ on 10-10-2007 at 10:40 PM

what model is your RAM?

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by stoshrocket on 10-11-2007 at 07:50 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, i managed to get hold of some RAM (which i knew was okay and is compatabile) and try with that instead. It didn't work, i got a blue screen with another 0000009C error again... wierd huh?

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
what model is your RAM?
Crucial RAM, I have/had 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 RAM... So most likely it wouldn't be "running" out of RAM either according to vax...
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Sounds like the PC is running out of memory and subsequently freezing/rebooting.

So i dunno what the hell it could be now to be honest... I might run memtest, but is there really any point now i've swapped the RAm over? Thanks again for all the suggestions btw!

RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by Adeptus on 10-11-2007 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by methos
I might run memtest, but is there really any point now i've swapped the RAm over?
There is.  If memtest finds errors and you know the RAM is good, that would point to bad L1 or L2 cache (physically inside the CPU).  The caches can typically be disabled in BIOS, so you can do that (one at a time, start with L2), retest, and narrow it down further.

In my experience, bad RAM manifests itself as mostly application crashes and BSODs, while bad cache (especially L1) mostly causes freezing.  Any of the above could also mean a bad motherboard.  If you determine it is a cache problem, you will need to replace the CPU.
RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by stoshrocket on 10-11-2007 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
I might run memtest, but is there really any point now i've swapped the RAm over?
There is.  If memtest finds errors and you know the RAM is good, that would point to bad L1 or L2 cache (physically inside the CPU).  The caches can typically be disabled in BIOS, so you can do that (one at a time, start with L2), retest, and narrow it down further.

In my experience, bad RAM manifests itself as mostly application crashes and BSODs, while bad cache (especially L1) mostly causes freezing.  Any of the above could also mean a bad motherboard.  If you determine it is a cache problem, you will need to replace the CPU.

Okay, that definately clears it up a lot, I'll download memtest and run the test on the RAM to see if i can narrow it down that way. Thanks a lot for your help Adeptus (and everyone else for helping clear this up)! I'll report back with any developments/solutions. Thnaks!
RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by ShawnZ on 10-12-2007 at 02:40 AM

quote:

Crucial RAM, I have/had 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 RAM... So most likely it wouldn't be "running" out of RAM either according to vax...

what's the model number? (http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.aspx?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC3200)
RE: Probability of RAM causing freezing? by stoshrocket on 10-13-2007 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

what's the model number? (http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.aspx?family=DDR&tabid=DDR+PC3200)
Model CT12864Z40B
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200