Shoutbox

Major doubt on electronics.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Major doubt on electronics.. (/showthread.php?tid=78166)

Major doubt on electronics.. by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 12:22 AM

Hi there..

I just bought a Technics 1200 MK2 turntable from the US on eBay. It is said to work on 110v, will it be ok if I use it with an adapter from 110v to 240v for it to support the Portuguese electrical plugs?

I really need a fast answer on this.

Thanks a lot!

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by toddy on 10-13-2007 at 12:27 AM

no

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 12:29 AM

lol nice, time to beg for a refund..

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by toddy on 10-13-2007 at 12:44 AM

i'm sure i'll be able to get a Portuguese step down transformer tho

(then again, you don't wanna be buying turntables anyway....cd decks are the future (for now at least, soon to be ipod/mp3)

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by markee on 10-13-2007 at 01:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy

(then again, you don't wanna be buying turntables anyway....cd decks are the future (for now at least, soon to be ipod/mp3)
Professionals now use an electronic turntable.  They plug it into their computer and that way they have their whole music library but still have the precision of a turntable.
RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by toddy on 10-13-2007 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by toddy

Professionals now use an electronic turntable.  They plug it into their computer and that way they have their whole music library but still have the precision of a turntable.
i more mental clubs, but yeh it won't be long before they become cheap and every club just has a computer
RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by prashker on 10-13-2007 at 04:00 AM

Dude, you should of really thought about that before ordering from the US :p.

If you can get a Portuguese Step Down transformer as toddy said, I guess it could all work.

If he gives you a refund (which I doubt, or if you use the transformer you won't need one) consider yourself lucky :P.

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 10:45 AM

lol Ok, so where should I be able to get one of these transformers? Will it need any electronic work done to use it?

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by toddy on 10-13-2007 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
so where should I be able to get one of these transformers?
an electrical store
quote:
Will it need any electronic work done to use it
so, you just pug them into you normal socket. (and it cuts down the power that it gives out). then you put your device into the other of the transformer.
RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 02:15 PM

Ah, now I deducted what a transformer was.. Being what I think it is, it's really simple then :p

This one, per example, would do, right?

Thanks

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by vaccination on 10-13-2007 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Ah, now I deducted what a transformer was.. Being what I think it is, it's really simple then :p

This one, per example, would do, right?

Thanks
IIRC that should work perfectly :P
RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by Adeptus on 10-13-2007 at 05:15 PM

quote:
I just bought a Technics 1200 MK2 turntable from the US on eBay. It is said to work on 110v, will it be ok if I use it with an adapter from 110v to 240v for it to support the Portuguese electrical plugs?
Most equipment would be ok with a step-down transformer as others have already pointed out, but specifically because it's a turntable, you may still have a problem.

Besides the voltage, there is also a frequency difference between AC in US and Europe -- US uses 60Hz, Europe uses 50Hz. Many (if not most) turntables use AC motors, which will run too slow on the lower frequency.  A simple step-down transformer will only change the voltage, it won't do anything about the frequency.

So, you should try to find out whether this model of turntable has an AC or a DC motor.  If it's confirmed AC or you can't find out, I'd strongly suggest canceling the purchase.

Edit: I looked it up -- it's impressive that a turntable has it's own Wikipedia article.  The fact it has variable pitch control tells me it uses a DC motor, so you should be fine.
RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 05:45 PM

All the information I have about the turntable in terms of power is :

AC 110v 60Hz 14w

I'm simply dumb when it comes to electric business, but I guess that AC I mentioned has nothing to do with the AC/DC business you mentioned above (or has it?)

If someone could pick a reliable transformer for me, I'd really appreciate it, as it doesn't seem that simple anymore..

Edit : Also, I've found out Portuguese plugs work on 230v, at least that's what the law says.

RE: Major doubt on electronics.. by Adeptus on 10-13-2007 at 05:56 PM

vaccination's suggestion would be fine.  You can also use something smaller, such as V85 and V100 models here.

The only thing you don't want is the high wattage "solid state" converters that are only recommended for non-electronic appliances.  There are some of those further down on the same page.