Shoutbox

New Computer/Laptop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Computer/Laptop (/showthread.php?tid=78167)

New Computer/Laptop by Rolando on 10-13-2007 at 02:15 AM

So yeah.. I decided to get a new computer/laptop. I think I'll get a laptop and just get some more ram and a new case or something for this one so that way I can have both..

Which laptop do you recommend me to get? I want something fast and that'll not go slow on me.

There's no price limits I guess.. but nothing too expensive because I don't want to buy some stuff I won't use.. so yeah.

Also something that won't be like obsolete in a short time =P

So..... recommendations?

RE: New Computer/Laptop by markee on 10-13-2007 at 03:03 AM

Firstly if you aren't going to move around with it lots then I highly suggest you just get a desktop.  If you want performance than I would look at desktop replacements with their 17" screen, but these can be a pain if you are taking it with you everywhere (but are great for viewing movies).  They cost more but are superior for the computing side (just not battery life and size/weight).

I recommend getting a decent brand too,  I just don't trust thee cheap imports :P.  Toshiba and Sony are always fairly safe choices, but Dell seems to have cheaper laptops for the same stuff inside.... its your choice really.

Make sure that you get the stuff you want, there are many laptops out there these days and you can get one that will be exactly what you are after (CPU, RAM, HDD etc) oh and make sure you look at the RPM of the HDD, 5,400 is usually what you get but I did see a 120GB HDD that was only like 4,200 or something and that would be deadly when you are used to your quick one on your PC (7,200RPM is the norm for PCs).  Make sure you get the etended warranty as well and look for ones that have wifi (preferably n type) and bluetooth and all the connectors you want.

Another thing to be careful of is the graphics card, make sure it uses its own memory, a lot use shared memory and that's just not cool.

And lastly, try before you buy (and read reviews of other people who have tried).  You don't want o get something that has some annoying features or the battery just dies on them after a little, or the sound is crap or blah blah blah....

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Verte on 10-13-2007 at 05:36 AM

Well, I don't know what you plan to use these for, because that's probably the defining factor. I have had my ThinkPad for a long, long time, and don't see myself replacing it any time in the future [unless I get something with a tagged TLB to do some porting]. The great thing about it is that it goes where I go- I don't have to sit at a desk, I can sit on the floor, on the roof, take my computer into the kitchen, etc. Not to mention, it sure feels solid. I've considered buying a newer laptop, but most of what I've seen feels a bit flimsy by comparison. I'd definitely have to go Lenovo again if I bought a new laptop.

Of course, if that doesn't apply to you, don't listen to me :) you can get much better graphics options on desktops. I might even buy a new desktop just to use CUDA.

RE: New Computer/Laptop by kao on 10-13-2007 at 08:53 AM

Get a MacBook Pro.

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Chris4 on 10-13-2007 at 09:21 AM

Dell laptops aren't bad. Alienware or Sony VAIO if you want something fancy.

P.S. Don't let Toddy see, he'll moan that you can't decide anything by yourself :rolleyes:

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 11:01 AM

If you're getting a laptop, get either a Toshiba X200, an Asus G1S or an HP dv9575ep. I'm not a great fan of laptops but I understand people who need mobility. If you don't, though, don't get one by any means lol.

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 11:16 AM

Well if you need a laptop for school or something then get one, but if you just want a laptop so you can go on the internet in different parts of your house then get a desktop. Laptops just get annoying after a while. You can't play many games on them, things take longer to load, its just not worth it.

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Nathan on 10-13-2007 at 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Well if you need a laptop for school or something then get one, but if you just want a laptop so you can go on the internet in different parts of your house then get a desktop. Laptops just get annoying after a while. You can't play many games on them, things take longer to load, its just not worth it.
Not true, you can run games on them you can run very graphical intense games on them, it just depends on what laptop you do get...
for example, I have a laptop and I can run bioshock on medium settings and it works great.

It all depends on what laptop you get. Try and get one with at least 1gig of ram and min of 256mb gfx.

Hope this helps.

sidenote to dt: the reason it didnt work with bioshock to begin with was because I had the wrong drivers :P
RE: New Computer/Laptop by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Not true, you can run games on them you can run very graphical intense games on them, it just depends on what laptop you do get...
for example, I have a laptop and I can run bioshock on medium settings and it works great.
quote:
min of 256mb gfx.
lol.

No you can't. My brother's laptop, per example, has an 8600M Graphics card, which supposedly, scores more 3DMark06 points than my X1950 Pro, and yet he can't play BMW M3 Challenge with the quality I do. Also, laptops will get outdated quickly, unlike desktops, which you can update.
RE: RE: New Computer/Laptop by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 01:05 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip

It all depends on what laptop you get. Try and get one with at least 1gig of ram and min of 256mb gfx.

Hope this helps.

sidenote to dt: the reason it didnt work with bioshock to begin with was because I had the wrong drivers :P

I should have said that games wont run aswell as a desktop if he spent the same amount on the laptop as he did the desktop. I know you can runs games on a laptop, I'm not fucking stupid but if you are gonna get something to run games, get a desktop.
RE: New Computer/Laptop by markee on 10-13-2007 at 01:39 PM

The biggest problem with games on laptops is either their graphics card isnt good or the fact that they use a slower HDD than in a desktop (which is a major contributor to slow speed in PCs).

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Rolando on 10-13-2007 at 05:44 PM

I don't play games on my computer at all...........

That been said I'm now thinking of getting a new computer.... the laptop can wait. Now I just need to choose one...... that's the kind of recommendations I need.. options. As you may know, I'm a newb when it comes to computers and rams and stuff.. so yeah, please recommend me good computers?

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 05:56 PM

If you don't play games, it will be really easy to make you a good computer within a good budget.

How much can you spend at all (both new laptop + computer)?

Also, what do you use mainly in the computer?

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Rolando on 10-13-2007 at 06:00 PM

I guess there's no limit.. as long as it's not too much because I won't use it to its fullest and it'll be just a waste of money... like 1000 bucks sounds reasonable, I guess?

I'd like it to run smoothly when I'm running Photoshop... and stuff like that and to not go slow on me..

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 07:31 PM

This is pretty good one It has a built in graphics card but if you dont play games, and dont want to ever update the graphics card, it doesnt really matter

*   Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4400 Dual Core Processor(2.0GHz,2MB Cache,800MHz)
    * Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
    * New MESH Mini-Tower Micro ATX Case +300W PSU
    * PCI-Express Mainboard - Pentium® D/Core™ 2 Duo - Micro ATX
    * 2GB DDR2 667MHz Memory - (2x 1GB)
    * 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    * LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    * 256MB Integrated On-board Graphics (SMA)
    * 19" Widescreen LCD TFT Display with internal speakers
    * 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
    * Logitech S220 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
    * Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
    * Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
    * Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    * 1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
    * Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)
    * Silver - 1 Year On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Home Service)

(Take off all the crap on the right hand site and it goes down to £499

RE: RE: New Computer/Laptop by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
This is pretty good one It has a built in graphics card but if you dont play games, and dont want to ever update the graphics card, it doesnt really matter

*   Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4400 Dual Core Processor(2.0GHz,2MB Cache,800MHz)
    * Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
    * New MESH Mini-Tower Micro ATX Case +300W PSU
    * PCI-Express Mainboard - Pentium® D/Core™ 2 Duo - Micro ATX
    * 2GB DDR2 667MHz Memory - (2x 1GB)
    * 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    * LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    * 256MB Integrated On-board Graphics (SMA)
    * 19" Widescreen LCD TFT Display with internal speakers
    * 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
    * Logitech S220 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
    * Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
    * Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
    * Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    * 1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
    * Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)
    * Silver - 1 Year On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Home Service)

(Take off all the crap on the right hand site and it goes down to £499

I was thinking something like..

E6750
4gb High quality ram
Decent mobo and psu
~500gb hdd
Nice case
maybe 7600gt. Cheap card but will let you play a few games if you ever get bored.

Not the best list I've made but thats all I can think of this late :P I'm sure you could pick that up over there for roughly $1000. Oh but you still need an OS which I'm sure you already have ;)

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Rolando on 10-13-2007 at 09:47 PM

I don't want a cheap card even if I won't play games... In case I install something like the Sims or something..

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 09:56 PM

7600 will play The Sims 2 fine. Will even play games like Portal and Bioshock (obviously not on the highest settings). Oh and if you ever get into gaming all you will need is a new gfx card. The rest of your computer will be up to date with the latest games.. That is of course until games have quad core support.

RE: New Computer/Laptop by Chris4 on 10-13-2007 at 10:54 PM

Get the X1950 Pro. A lot better then the 7600GT. It's not expensive.

Just compare them.

RE: RE: New Computer/Laptop by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Get the X1950 Pro. A lot better then the 7600GT. It's not expensive.

Just compare them.

Its twice as expensive to. As he will only be playing a few older games a 7600gt will work nicely. IMO there is not much point getting a high end DX9 card these days. If you want a card to play games get a good one. If you don't want to spend much, a 8800gts 320mb is perfect.
RE: New Computer/Laptop by Rolando on 11-02-2007 at 11:35 PM

Anyone have any recommendations and places where I can get this from? In the US would be best since the dollar is in an all-time-low atm :P

Sorry to bump but I'm ready to buy..