Shoutbox

Recomendations - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Recomendations (/showthread.php?tid=78169)

Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 07:36 AM

Ive had my Computer for about a year now, and its starting to operate slower than it used to. What Programs can help me improve this?
And what components will i need to replace to improve this.
My computer report, done with everest is attached

RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-13-2007 at 08:12 AM

You've currently got 1gig of ram, you could add another gig, this will give the computer more memory and should make it run faster.

I imagine the reason it's slower is because it's got more software running etc which is using up most of your ram.

Also, you could try defragmenting your HDD. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Deframgmenter)

RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
You've currently got 1gig of ram, you could add another gig, this will give the computer more memory and should make it run faster.

I imagine the reason it's slower is because it's got more software running etc which is using up most of your ram.

Also, you could try defragmenting your HDD. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Deframgmenter)
Ok, i dont know what type of RAM to buy, and what is DD and DD2 RAM lol, im a newb. And also, how can i be sure my computer has anothr slot for more RAM
RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-13-2007 at 01:42 PM

Your PC has 4 memory slots, two of which are currently being used up(two sticks of 512). You need to buy 2 more sticks of 512 to get you another gig of ram. If I'm thinking straight you need DDR RAM.

RE: Recomendations by Lou on 10-13-2007 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Your PC has 4 memory slots, two of which are currently being used up(two sticks of 512). You need to buy 2 more sticks of 512 to get you another gig of ram. If I'm thinking straight you need DDR RAM.
I'm pretty sure that it's DDR, as DDR2 was not out (or at least not as popular) last year. You could always open it up and check :P.
RE: Recomendations by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
as DDR2 was not out (or at least not as popular) last year.
Yes it was :p It has been popular for 2 years now ;)
RE: Recomendations by MeEtc on 10-13-2007 at 03:00 PM

And looking at his clock speed (667MHz) I think it would be safe to assume its DDR2

RE: Recomendations by Jhrono on 10-13-2007 at 03:17 PM

By looking at the file, it says the motherboard is an ASUS M2NPV-VM, which, according to this review, supports DDR2 up to 667 Mhz (aka PC2-5300)

RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 04:32 PM

So where is it cheapest to buy 2 new sticks of 512 DDR2
And do i need a specific make? or? cos like the price varies a lot!

RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-13-2007 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
So where is it cheapest to buy 2 new sticks of 512 DDR2
And do i need a specific make? or? cos like the price varies a lot!
Your best of buying the same type as is already in your pc. The file didn't say what make the current RAM was though, so opening up the case and taking a look at the ram *should* tell you at least the manufacturer

If not, you can basically put any make in.
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 07:47 PM

Ok the make is elixir, so where can i buy the best type of ram possible for this. I want the best RAM that will work on my machine made by elixir, where can i buy this?

RE: Recomendations by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 07:59 PM

Tbh your better off buying a 2gb kit (2x1gb). Then if you want later you have room to upgrade to 4. DDR2 ram isn't that expensive these days. I remember buying 4 gigs or DDR2 800 about 1yr ago for $800. You could pick up 2gb of some generic DDR2 ram for about $60. $100 if you want name brand and $200 for decent ram. AUD btw.

RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Tbh your better off buying a 2gb kit (2x1gb). Then if you want later you have room to upgrade to 4. DDR2 ram isn't that expensive these days. I remember buying 4 gigs or DDR2 800 about 1yr ago for $800. You could pick up 2gb of some generic DDR2 ram for about $60. $100 if you want name brand and $200 for decent ram. AUD btw.
Will my computer take a 1gb RAM stick, and can i buy any brand? And can you give me afew good sites to buy from?
RE: Recomendations by prashker on 10-13-2007 at 08:08 PM

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Tells you what you got, what you need, and where you can buy it :p.

RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Tells you what you got, what you need, and where you can buy it :p.
Doesnt work for me, all i need is what philip said, where can i buy that
RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-13-2007 at 08:47 PM

quote:

Will my computer take a 1gb RAM stick, and can i buy any brand? And can you give me afew good sites to buy from?
According to the report, each slot can hold up to 1gig, so yes it can.

And you can buy RAM from any online computer store. I suggest http://www.overclockers.co.uk or http://www.scan.co.uk (I'm sure other people have their own favourites too..)

EDIT: Scan have some standard DDR2 memory for £35 (2x1GB) (Same speed as your current RAM too)
RE: RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-13-2007 at 09:13 PM

quote:
quote:

According to the report, each slot can hold up to 1gig, so yes it can.

And you can buy RAM from any online computer store. I suggest http://www.overclockers.co.uk or http://www.scan.co.uk (I'm sure other people have their own favourites too..)

EDIT: Scan have some standard DDR2 memory for £35 (2x1GB) (Same speed as your current RAM too)

But dont i need the same make as i currently have?
Or will any make do?
And finnaly, do i just plug them in to the slots, or do i need to configure anything onthe computer after instalation?
RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-13-2007 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Or will any make do?
And finnaly, do i just plug them in to the slots, or do i need to configure anything onthe computer after instalation?
Some RAM works better together but it's not really noticeable. In reality you can mix and match any RAM(kinda). If you want to go with Elixir though, scan have some of those too. But they only do one stick of a GB on it's own so you'd have to buy 2 separately at £20 each here.

Just take your pick really.

And yes, you just slot the sticks in, nothing to it. (make sure PC is off first though - whith the power cable out, and preferably some way to ground yourself so you don't go and electrocute any of your components.)
RE: RE: RE: Recomendations by Phillip on 10-13-2007 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Or will any make do?

As I said you may aswell buy 2x1gb sticks. Its not worth buying another 2x512 sticks. You can buy any DDR2 ram that works with your mobo. As I cbf reading the report I am assuming you have a half decent mobo that supports all DDR2 ram. When installing there are 2 clips on each slot. You pull them back and the ram should half come out, then pull each stick out. When installing the new ram just make sure the clips are still open and push the ram into the slot till both clips lock in. Thats it, boot up and your ready to go.

If you want another 2gb of ram to go with your 1gb then you suck. It would be much better to run the 2gb by themselves.
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-14-2007 at 07:05 AM

quote:
As I said you may aswell buy 2x1gb sticks. Its not worth buying another 2x512 sticks. You can buy any DDR2 ram that works with your mobo. As I cbf reading the report I am assuming you have a half decent mobo that supports all DDR2 ram. When installing there are 2 clips on each slot. You pull them back and the ram should half come out, then pull each stick out. When installing the new ram just make sure the clips are still open and push the ram into the slot till both clips lock in. Thats it, boot up and your ready to go.

If you want another 2gb of ram to go with your 1gb then you suck. It would be much better to run the 2gb by themselves.
Why, suerly 3GB is better than 2GB
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-14-2007 at 07:05 PM

quote:
quote:

Why, suerly 3GB is better than 2GB
BUMP
And also, inside my computer i have 4 RAM slors, yes, but 2 are white, and 2 are black, currently i have 2 sticks of 512 plugged into the white ports, and ive tried taking them out and plugging thrm both into the black ports, but my computer then didnt turn on, why is this?

And i assume grouding yourself just means sitting/standing on the floor lol yes?
RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-14-2007 at 09:22 PM

quote:

BUMP
And also, inside my computer i have 4 RAM slors, yes, but 2 are white, and 2 are black, currently i have 2 sticks of 512 plugged into the white ports, and ive tried taking them out and plugging thrm both into the black ports, but my computer then didnt turn on, why is this?

And i assume grouding yourself just means sitting/standing on the floor lol yes?
Because the computer reads the first ram slot first, it thought you didn't have any ram and so couldn't start. The PC will read 1st slot then 3rd slot then 2nd, 4th (depending on how motherboard is laid out - basically same colours go together). That's the way works :P

And no, by grounding yourself I mean, grounding yourself.
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-15-2007 at 06:31 AM

But my 2 white ports are 2nd and 4th?
And also, why did philip say that i shouldnt run 512 512 1gb 1gb and just run 2gb?

RE: Recomendations by vaccination on 10-15-2007 at 06:50 AM

quote:
But if you go in the other direction, that'd make your white ports 1st and 3rd. :P
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-15-2007 at 07:00 AM

quote:
quote:
But if you go in the other direction, that'd make your white ports 1st and 3rd. :P
lol i knew that:P
And also, why did philip say that i shouldnt run 512 512 1gb 1gb and just run 2gb?
RE: Recomendations by Jhrono on 10-15-2007 at 01:14 PM

quote:
so where can i buy the best type of ram possible for this.

Mushkin XP2-5300 3-3-3-10 2 Gb (2 x 1 Gbyte)

Great RAM kit under than speed (~667 Mhz = PC2-5300)
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-15-2007 at 02:24 PM

Thanks

RE: RE: Recomendations by Phillip on 10-15-2007 at 02:25 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
lol i knew that:P

You would have to make sure they are exactly the same ram if you were going to do this. Ram runs alot better in duel channel mode. If you were running 2 different sets at different frequencies then all 4 sticks would most likely be running at the lowest speed. Also Different ram requires different voltages, timings etc. If you do find a pair of sticks the same as you have now then it should be ok.. as long as they are all the same specs.

Thats why I'm telling you to just get a 2x1gb kit of a good brand.. If you plan on upgrading then it wont be as hard chasing up the same type of ram, but chasing up the same type of generic ram is hell unless you know exactly what spec it is.
RE: Recomendations by Jimbo on 10-15-2007 at 02:53 PM

quote:
You would have to make sure they are exactly the same ram if you were going to do this. Ram runs alot better in duel channel mode. If you were running 2 different sets at different frequencies then all 4 sticks would most likely be running at the lowest speed. Also Different ram requires different voltages, timings etc. If you do find a pair of sticks the same as you have now then it should be ok.. as long as they are all the same specs.

Thats why I'm telling you to just get a 2x1gb kit of a good brand.. If you plan on upgrading then it wont be as hard chasing up the same type of ram, but chasing up the same type of generic ram is hell unless you know exactly what spec it is.

Oh ok, ill just run the 2x1gb corsair ram i just bought from scan.co.uk
RE: RE: RE: Recomendations by rav0 on 10-17-2007 at 02:07 AM

quote:

quote:

Huh?

2 x 512 + 2 x 1 GB gives 3 GB and it's all running in dual channel, and 3 GB is better than 2 GB. ram doesn't need to be matched exactly for dual channel operation, it's just ideal. If the timings are different but the size is still the same then it will still run at dual channel just not as well as if it were matched (still much better than not dual channel at all).

If you want to see a massive increase in performance from your computer, install a fresh operating system. Works wonders every time.