Shoutbox

iPod touch USA or UK? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: iPod touch USA or UK? (/showthread.php?tid=78194)

iPod touch USA or UK? by Lourix on 10-14-2007 at 10:06 AM

I have been thinking of getting an iPod Touch but I converted Euros into Pounds and 269 Pounds is 386 Euros. However the iPod Touch in the USA is 400 Dollars and in Euros its 282. Which country should I get it from, how much is shipping or is it free? Will buying a US ipod have an bad effects in Europe? (such as software) Anyone who has one here could they be willing to share the info thanks.

RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by Eddie on 10-14-2007 at 10:24 AM

Isnt the US Dollar at an all time low so it would be more expensive than usual if you dont live there? or is it the other way around? :S  I dont think there would be any effects, because its only an iPod afterall.

RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by markee on 10-14-2007 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Isnt the US Dollar at an all time low so it would be more expensive than usual if you dont live there? or is it the other way around? :S  I dont think there would be any effects, because its only an iPod afterall.
other way around.  because you use a usb to power it rather than a powerpoint you should have no worries at all, its just the shipping which is your only concern.
RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by Lou on 10-14-2007 at 10:28 AM

Get it from the apple website :undecided:.

quote:
Free shipping on orders over $75

RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by absorbation on 10-14-2007 at 10:50 AM

Does that include international shipping Lou? It would have to be via airmail :P.

RE: RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by andrewdodd13 on 10-14-2007 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

Yarr it's the otherway around. If you think about it, if you've got say £1000 pounds, atm if you get a straight converstion with no tax you'd end up with $2050. This time two years ago the rate was around 1.65, so you'dve only gotten $1650 for your £1000.

Which means I might well get my uncle to buy me a new PC while he's over there... and maybe an iPod...
RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by vaccination on 10-14-2007 at 11:15 AM

The rates atm are fantastic :P

RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by Lourix on 10-14-2007 at 05:03 PM

Do you reckon its free shipping to Spain? Or just the USA? I can't see to find out on their website.

RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by Zahid™ on 10-14-2007 at 05:20 PM

Or you could get it from the spanish store:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/esstore.w.../family/ipod_touch

RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by markee on 10-15-2007 at 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
Or you could get it from the spanish store:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/esstore.w.../family/ipod_touch
But it is more expensive if you do the conversion, hence what the thread has been talking about from the beginning 8-)
RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by Adeptus on 10-15-2007 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
Do you reckon its free shipping to Spain? Or just the USA? I can't see to find out on their website.
Naturally, it is free shipping only in the U.S.  -- why on Earth would the U.S. Apple store offer free shipping to Spain, when they have an Apple store for Spain (and make more money from it)?  In fact, I will go ahead and guess that not only the shipping won't be free, but you won't even be able to pay for it.  They will tell you to use the Spanish store.

Anyway, your idea of purchasing it from the U.S. is practical only if you can Paypal someone in the U.S. the money, and have them buy it and send it to you. 

There are a number of things that can go wrong with that, too.  You may get charged import duty in Spain, likely costing more in the end than just to buy it there.  If you have it shipped to you using any private courier, this is pretty much guaranteed.  If sent by postal mail and listed as a gift by sender, there's a better chance of avoiding the duty -- but there's also a greater risk of it getting lost and not making it at all.  Having lived in both Europe and U.S., I have dealt with this a lot and it is generally not worth it.
RE: iPod touch USA or UK? by Lourix on 10-15-2007 at 06:32 PM

Thanks Adeptus alot of useful info there. I guess there's no chance in m exploiting the US Market then :P Thanks for your help guys.