Shoutbox

Would you rather... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Would you rather... (/showthread.php?tid=78212)

Would you rather... by spongeboy on 10-14-2007 at 09:16 PM

Buy a PC or a Mac? Please explain why.:) I prefer a PC because I don't like Mac's programs.

RE: Would you rather... by Dempsey on 10-14-2007 at 09:25 PM

Depends what you want it for.  My next computer purchase is going to be a MacBook and I will use it for all of my general usage, web browsing etc and I would either keep my PC Laptop or dual boot the MacBook with XP as well for when I need to run windows

RE: Would you rather... by prashker on 10-14-2007 at 09:31 PM

I prefer a PC, but if someone got me a Mac Pro, I'd use it (to install Boot Camp (a).)

RE: Would you rather... by MeEtc on 10-14-2007 at 09:43 PM

Anything related to audio or video editing has an advantage to be done on a Mac. The editors (Final Cut, for example) are superior to their Windows counterparts AFAIK

RE: Would you rather... by Oxy on 10-14-2007 at 10:06 PM

Pc has always been my favourite. Just can't adapt to mac.

RE: Would you rather... by Lou on 10-14-2007 at 10:30 PM

The next computer I buy will be a Mac one, because I'm getting tired of all the issues that arise from using Windows. I would most definitely rather buy a Mac.

RE: Would you rather... by Verte on 10-15-2007 at 03:41 AM

Troll, much?

What does it mean these days, anyway, "PC/Mac"? Are we talking about operating system? Are we talking about hardware? Are we talking about companies?

If we are talking about operating system, there are several operating systems for x86 hardware. Windows is popular, but OS X runs on it fine, and there is GNU and a variety of free or commercial Unixen.

If we are talking about hardware, remember modern Macintoshes are x86 based, and save for a few niceties are essentially the same as "PC's".

If we are talking about companies, the question of what "PC" means is drawn further into view. There is no one company that supplies any one part.

edit: splelling :)

RE: Would you rather... by Eddie on 10-15-2007 at 04:03 AM

I personally dont run into any issues with any type of Windows System, but as Sam said, if the situation arised i would install boot camp :)

RE: Would you rather... by Phillip on 10-15-2007 at 02:28 PM

Well if there was an option stating "That people actually search the forum before posting a thread that gets posted atleast once a month" then I would have chosen that but...

I prefer a PC.. I'm a natural gamer and couldn't live without playing computer games every once in a while.

RE: Would you rather... by Jarrod on 10-18-2007 at 07:04 AM

i'd buy a mac and dual boot it :px100

RE: Would you rather... by andrewdodd13 on 10-20-2007 at 09:06 AM

I'd go for a PC. Always. Even though you can use boot camp.

Basically, Apple PCs are overpriced - they mainly get away with it because they look chic and have decent hardware. However, I can build systems from scratch, and I can make superior-specced machines for about half the price of a Mac. I've also noticed that even the newest Macs only come with an 8x DVD burner...

Anyway, as for software, I'd take Windows for the games, and basically because I have 2 more OEM licences. As far as I'm aware, you can't buy Mac OSX to install on a normal x86 machine.

I would occasionally recommend a Mac to a newbie home user though - especially if they have kids - because the kids almost always end up getting a virus or something on Windows. Vista may not be as bad in this respect, but it's not exactly the speediest OS ever. (If you want to refute that, why exactly are there a load of speed fixes in SP1?)

So, in conclusion... build a PC yourself, on the cheap - but still with a great spec, install Windows, and off you go. :)

RE: Would you rather... by Th3rmal on 10-20-2007 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Pc has always been my favourite. Just can't adapt to mac.

i dont know why but Macs irritate me...
RE: Would you rather... by ryxdp on 10-20-2007 at 11:30 AM

I just like the UI concept, not the software or anything.

Which is why I use iTunes. Take away the organisation of iTunes = WMP/WinAmp/etc.

:)