Shoutbox

"Only" 1000 Contacts allowed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed (/showthread.php?tid=78233)

"Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by cyberbog84 on 10-15-2007 at 09:35 PM

Hi @ all,

I have a very visited website and on it I have put my msn addy so that all the users can contact me. Now I have 1000 msn contacts on my list and the MSN network donīt allow over 1.000 contacts. Is there any tool or can u write any script that can remove this limit. Its really very important for me. Thx in forward for your help

Regards cyberbog84

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Chris4 on 10-15-2007 at 09:45 PM

There's no way you can change the contacts limit I'm afraid.
Maybe make an extra account? Or if you just want to store their email, MS Outlook can store tens of thousands of emails.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Chancer on 10-15-2007 at 10:20 PM

No one talks to 1000 people. Delete some :P

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by cyberbog84 on 10-15-2007 at 10:32 PM

@Chancer well, when you have a homepage with more then 20.000 unique visits per day and you use also the Messenger for support then your list will be in short time full :( so I can remove maybe 100 contact but in few days it will be again full.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Voldemort on 10-15-2007 at 10:48 PM

It's a lie, I have over 1,000 people in one of my emails, ask segosa if you don't believe me.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by cyberbog84 on 10-15-2007 at 11:06 PM

Yes, you can add people but you donīt see if they are offline or online and you will not be able to contact them when you do a double click on them you will only be able to write a e-mail. Also you canīt send offline messages to them.
I have also contact the msn com support and they have said to me that there is a 1000 contact limit and they wonīt remove it soon because they donīt want that the people uses the Messenger for commercial things. Thats wy I try to find help here. I can paste the copy from the support that I get but its in german.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by *Saint* on 10-15-2007 at 11:09 PM

You could change the contact email like someone said then use Plus! or something else to have polygamy and have multiple messengers open at once signed into both of the contact emails and continue doing as each email fills to it's limit.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Adeptus on 10-15-2007 at 11:15 PM

If the reason you have so many contacts is because you are providing support for a website, I fail to see why you need to add them at all.

Correct me if I am wrong, but would they usually not message you if they have a problem?  Why would you ever initiate a conversation with them?  Just set your privacy settings so that anyone can message you without being on your list.  Add only those you need to follow up with later.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by cyberbog84 on 10-16-2007 at 12:24 AM

@Adeptus yes, thats true and your advice maybe helpful a little bit for me

But often I have to contact the people by my own because one of the services that I offer is audio/video streaming via Net and broadcasting over satellite and when there is a server problem or a transponder problem I contact the people over the Messenger because is the easiest way and the shortest.
Iīm also using a live support program but the Messenger is soo popular and so many people uses it that its very important for my business. The Messenger Plattform with Messenger Plus is the best plattform for me. The logging is also really great and the search option is really helpfull.
I donīt understand why MSN donīt start for example a payed Commercial Version or something like that with many usefull features for webmaster and companies.

Anyway thx @all for your advices but I hope that someone can helpme to remove this limit that will be the best solution for me. I know you do a great job with the Messenger Plus and at this time a BIG THX to all of the guys from the Plus! team!

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Dane on 10-16-2007 at 12:47 AM

This limit is imposed server-side, meaning that it is impossible to be "patched" or "changed".  It will only change when Microsoft decides to change it.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by scott2010_h on 10-16-2007 at 02:44 AM

You could have them add you but you not add them. The only problem would be you wouldn't be able to start a conversation with them.

To do it you would just have to follow the picture below:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=855680]
Click for larger

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Voldemort on 10-16-2007 at 03:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cyberbog84
But often I have to contact the people by my own because one of the services that I offer is audio/video streaming via Net and broadcasting over satellite and when there is a server problem or a transponder problem I contact the people over the Messenger because is the easiest way and the shortest.
pirate tv?
:p if the information is the same for everyone, can't you put it on your nickname/psm?
RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Spunky on 10-16-2007 at 04:31 AM

Just let them add you. You should have their emails stored on your site if you need to contact them... Send a message or email using their details.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Adeptus on 10-16-2007 at 04:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cyborg84
Perhaps you could deliver such updates on demand, using a status/MOTD Messenger bot.  Your users can add the bot and whenever they want to check on your service's status, they can message it and receive an automated reply set by you.

That could probably be easily done with Plus! scripting and wouldn't require them to be on the bot's contact list with the right privacy settings.  Someone else here might be able to help you with the script.
RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by markee on 10-16-2007 at 05:21 AM

If you want to send messages to a large group of people then I suggest using email lists and keeping IM for instant support, this is how I would personally deal with this.  It also seems to be common practise just to use some kind of ticketting sstem for problems and blog entries for problems to do with the site (downtime for example).

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by cyberbog84 on 10-18-2007 at 12:23 AM

Big THX @all you really help me thats a great forum with great people.

RE: RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by rav0 on 10-18-2007 at 01:56 AM

quote:
I donīt understand why MSN donīt start for example a payed Commercial Version or something like that with many usefull features for webmaster and companies.
You might want to check out Windows Live Alerts. I'm not exactly sure of how it works but it might be of interest to you...
RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by Voldemort on 10-18-2007 at 04:01 AM

quote:
Big THX @all you really help me thats a great forum with great people.
and your solution was?
RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by deAd on 10-18-2007 at 07:45 PM

Just store the emails but don't add them to Messenger. You will need to make sure people not in your contact list are able to send you IMs.

If you need to start a conversation with them, right click on the tray icon, press "Send an instant message", and type the email.

RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by vaccination on 10-18-2007 at 07:49 PM

Why not get an irc channel? o.o

RE: RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by rav0 on 10-19-2007 at 06:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Why not get an irc channel? o.o

:o That is a good idea. Then you don't have to mess around with keeping up to date details, people just join the irc channel themselves and when you need to say something you say it in there. You can use private messaging for one-on-one conversation and if you need to then you can continue conversation in Windows Live Messenger.
RE: "Only" 1000 Contacts allowed by cyberbog84 on 10-19-2007 at 09:52 AM

Iīm using iRC chat, a Live Support script, E-Mail support and the Messenger. Most of the people contact me over the Messenger and the second is the live support script. iRC Chat is to hard to use for the people. They need java or iRC clients installed.

I have now unchecked the option in "Privacy" so that all contacts can contact me and I donīt have to put them in my list.
The only problem is I canīt contact them but however important is that they can contact me.