Shoutbox

Messenger wont let me sign in - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger wont let me sign in (/showthread.php?tid=78391)

Messenger wont let me sign in by Jm0406 on 10-22-2007 at 11:10 PM

When I enter my details to sign into Windows Live Messenger (with Plus!), the sign in process begins, but it never reaches the WLM home page. It just keeps saying signing in - it kept saying it for 7 hours the other day. There is no error code, it just keeps signing in. I have tried reinstalling both Messenger and Plus! but this doesn't do anything. I have also wiped the registries of any entries relating to either application after uninstalling, and making sure all traces of the applications are deleted from my hard drive, but this doesn't seem to help. My account is still fine, as I have managed to sign in several times on another computer with the same versions of both applications. If I am signed in on the second computer and try to sign in on this computer, the second computer tells me I have signed in elsewhere, yet it doesn't sign in on this computer, just keeps saying signing in. Does anyone have an idea on how to sort this problem without having to clean install my computer?

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by Nagamasa on 10-22-2007 at 11:12 PM

Does it work without Plus!?

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by vikke on 10-23-2007 at 05:47 AM

That's odd, Messenger does timeout after about 20 seconds, so there's really no way it could be 7 hours unless you've already established a connection with the Messenger server. Perhaps you're downloading some very big offline messages or something, but since it works on other computers it can't be.

I'm sorry, but I recommend you to clean install the computer.

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by Jm0406 on 10-23-2007 at 09:17 AM

No, it doesn't work without Plus!, and I thought a clean install would be the case, thanks for your help anyway, it was worth a try before another clean install!

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by Jm0406 on 10-25-2007 at 07:49 PM

Ok, something must be seriously wrong, I've clean installed my comp as suggested, and I still have exactly the same problem. Help!

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by Quantum on 10-25-2007 at 08:46 PM

Could it be your firewall? Maybe a program blocking access or if you have a router the port msn connects via might be blocked. Or it could be if you have AOL and don't have a master account :)

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by Jm0406 on 10-25-2007 at 09:01 PM

Apparantly not, as I tried this without any extra firewall installed, and with windows firewall turned off. However I have managed to fix this problem now. The solution is:

Click Start
Go to Programs
Go to Accessories
Right click on Command Prompt, and click Run As Administrator
Type in "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"
Press enter

RE: Messenger wont let me sign in by Jm0406 on 10-29-2007 at 10:36 AM

This is starting to get a little annoying now, yes I have messenger working, but when I use the fix stated above, it stops features in IE working. These are features linked to windows media player. Does anyone know how I can edit the fix so it will only affect messenger, not Internet explorer too? I've already tried replacing global with explorer.exe and msnmsgr.exe, but it tells me it doesn't recognise this command.