Shoutbox

desktop switched on and automatically off - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: desktop switched on and automatically off (/showthread.php?tid=78404)

desktop switched on and automatically off by xJ + on 10-24-2007 at 01:41 AM

I'm facing a problem right now and I have got no particular idea of which hardware/software is causing it.

Whenever I switched on my desktop, it will be on a second, and automatically switched off with no apparent reason. Is there a hardware error or software? The Windows bootup screen isn't even shown and it's off automatically.

Specification of desktop:
Windows XP Service Pack 2
768MB or RAM
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
120GB

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by Voldemort on 10-24-2007 at 01:44 AM

Does it ALWAYS happen?

My bet is some hardware problem, I don't see any way software could cause it before loading windows :p

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by xJ + on 10-24-2007 at 01:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Does it ALWAYS happen?
it always happen ever since it shut off automatically all of the sudden when i left my desktop untouched.
*that time, Windows was successfully loaded.
RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by kao on 10-24-2007 at 05:29 AM

Do you have time to right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Untick Automatically restart?

That's if the PC is restarting of course.

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by Jarrod on 10-24-2007 at 05:47 AM

so if you never gets into windows my guess would be overheating, as it happened to my friend

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by vaccination on 10-24-2007 at 07:11 AM

Checked the PSU?

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by NiteMare on 10-24-2007 at 08:40 AM

if its not even getting to the loading windows screen, then its a hardware problem, the boot up sequance isn't finishing correctly, do you get error messages on the screen or any messge at all, or dose the computer make any unusual beeps before restarting?

installed any new hardware recently?

did you make any changes to the BIOS such as updating them?

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by Nagamasa on 10-24-2007 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Checked the PSU?
Yea my PSU died half way through a Warcraft Helm's Deep game...

My guess is that too...because that's exactly what happened to me...like you can hear a click...then it dies out.
RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by xJ + on 10-26-2007 at 03:26 AM

Hmm..
I have got no PSU and no new hardwares installed. Neither did I do any modification to my BIOS.

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by NiteMare on 10-26-2007 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
I have got no PSU
well theres your problem, a PSU i syour power supply:P
RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by Jarrod on 10-26-2007 at 03:53 AM

how long before it turns off?

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by xJ + on 10-26-2007 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
I have got no PSU
Oops my bad.. I thought it's UPS... ;p

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
immediately.
RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by NiteMare on 10-26-2007 at 03:57 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
I have got no PSU
Oops my bad.. I thought it's UPS... ;p

quote:
immediately.
i'd guess its your power supply

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by albert on 10-26-2007 at 04:30 AM

Try turning it off, and give it an hour. Then restart it. If it loads more than it does right now, overheating might be the problem.

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by ShawnZ on 10-26-2007 at 06:16 AM

enter bios setup, and go to "pc health status" or "hardware monitor" or similar, and tell us the temperature of your CPU

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by vaccination on 10-26-2007 at 07:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
enter bios setup, and go to "pc health status" or "hardware monitor" or similar, and tell us the temperature of your CPU
I'm pretty sure it turns off before he's able to get into bios.
RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by xJ + on 10-26-2007 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I'm pretty sure it turns off before he's able to get into bios.
Indeed, I'm unable to get into the bios.

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by Jarrod on 10-26-2007 at 08:15 AM

power supply

RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by xJ + on 10-27-2007 at 01:18 AM

quote:
power supply
o.. ok ... thanks. i will change it and see if it's causing it.

Anyway...
Thanks guys!! (:

EDIT:
I have found where the problem lies in now - overheated processor -.-"
Thanks again guys (:
RE: RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by rav0 on 10-31-2007 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Thanks again guys (:
For the benefit of everybody else;
some motherboards will shut off the computer if the processor is too hot to try to save it. So if your cooler has a problem (eg not being there) the computer turns off just after you turn it on. The first time it takes a few seconds and the second time it turns off faster because everythimg is warm already.
RE: RE: RE: desktop switched on and automatically off by Phillip on 10-31-2007 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
quote:
Thanks again guys (:
For the benefit of everybody else;
some motherboards will shut off the computer if the processor is too hot to try to save it. So if your heatsink has a problem (eg not being there) the computer turns off just after you turn it on. The first time it takes a few seconds and the second time it turns off faster because everythimg is warm already.
Obviously, I could have told him what the problem is before all of these other people started telling him it was the PSU.

Basically.. If your PC starts up and powers off, its overheating. It only takes a touch of the heatsinks to determine what part is overheating. (Please ground yourself before start poking around in the case. You can do this by touching any metal part of the case.)

If you computer powers up but wont post (it doesn't go beep), its a dead CPU, RAM, PSU or a faulty Motherboard (Or you just need to clear your CMOS because you fail at OC'ing).

If one of your parts is faulty (not dead) you will hear a sequence of beeps. Different sequences for different parts.

If it restarts while booting it is most likely a BSOD. If you can get into safe mode do what Alex said and right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Untick Automatically restart. Next time it BSODs it should tell you whats going on.

Hopefully anyone else that has this problem searches the forum and finds my post.