Shoutbox

USB 3.0 - Oo - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: USB 3.0 - Oo (/showthread.php?tid=78483)

USB 3.0 - Oo by Quantum on 10-28-2007 at 01:21 AM

USB 3.0 is said to be released in 2008. It has backward compatibly and has a HUGE data transfer rate.

Here are some links:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070918-int...rates-usb-3-0.html

[Image: _MG_5347_270x218.JPG]
Thats a pic..

USB 3.0 can transfer 4.8GB a second but you need a pc that can cope with that. There not alot that can.  If you think about it you can  transfer a movie in a second ^o) That sounds a bit dodgy*-)

Intel decides to do make something good for a change! (Y)

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Jarrod on 10-28-2007 at 02:45 AM

tid=55505
why do we need to transfer that fast?
when they now have external sATA ports??

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Quantum on 10-28-2007 at 02:54 AM

I did contribute to the thread?

IDk but the faster the better i suppose :)
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Jarrod on 10-28-2007 at 02:59 AM

I'd be happy with 1/4 of that for net speed.
but I've never needed faster usb connections

(australia regional1:( )
go OPEL

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Quantum on 10-28-2007 at 03:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h

If its faster its better in a way say you were transferring a gig of files from a pen drive to your pc and it took about 10 minutes it would take about 30 seconds with usb 3.0. Also its a good thing that they have backward compatibility if the didn't it would be a very big problem.

Anyway.. its fiber-optic wires so its not copper. Just wanted to say that :)
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by John Anderton on 10-28-2007 at 04:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:

If its faster its better in a way say you were transferring a gig of files from a pen drive to your pc and it took about 10 minutes it would take about 30 seconds with usb 3.0. Also its a good thing that they have backward compatibility if the didn't it would be a very big problem.

Anyway.. its fiber-optic wires so its not copper. Just wanted to say that :)
You'd need memory that fast. People with ATA drives won't be able to do it but I guess the DMA could get it up that much. *-)
If anyone technical is reading, would the transfer using the DMAC be HDD -> RAM -> USB 3.0 -> Device or would it skip the RAM?
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Phillip on 10-28-2007 at 06:55 AM

This sounds about right.. Flash based drives will be becoming the standard over the next few years, speeds like these will be needed.

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Vilkku on 10-28-2007 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
This sounds about right.. Flash based drives will be becoming the standard over the next few years, speeds like these will be needed.
Indeed, I'm already annoyed at the time it takes to copy over stuff to my memory stick (for example copying 1GB of small files).
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Quantum on 10-28-2007 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Indeed, I'm already annoyed at the time it takes to copy over stuff to my memory stick (for example copying 1GB of small files).

Also since the backward compatibility thing, that means a USB 2.0 via a USB 3.0 port will slow things even more down? Or will it just be the same?

Since 2.0 and 3.0 has to ne compatible that means there is copper and fire-optic in the wire, so it must be quite chunky :S
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by NiteMare on 10-28-2007 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Also since the backward compatibility thing, that means a USB 2.0 via a USB 3.0 port will slow things even more down? Or will it just be the same?
a Device built on USB 2.0 technology shouldn't show any noticable improvement in a USB 3.0 port, its like pluging a fire hose in to your garden hose tap, sure the hose is wider(faster port) but the water(information) can only come out of the tab(USB 2.0 Device) so fast.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Verte on 10-29-2007 at 02:19 AM

quote:
USB 3.0 can transfer 4.8GB a second

No, it can transfer 4.8 Gb per second.

That's ~600 MB/s for those not mathematically inclined. Very fast nonetheless.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by markee on 10-29-2007 at 03:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte

In comparison, a CD is about 700MB and we all know how long it takes to read/write one of them, this would do the same amount of data in just ver a second.  Or a DVD in under 8 seconds or a DL BlueRay disk in about 84seconds.  Not bad by any means. :P
RE: RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by rav0 on 10-29-2007 at 03:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by Verte

In comparison, a CD is about 700MB and we all know how long it takes to read/write one of them, this would do the same amount of data in just ver a second.  Or a DVD in under 8 seconds or a DL BlueRay disk in about 84seconds.  Not bad by any means. :P

It's fast, but you also have to consider wht it will be used for. If you buy a USB 3.0 CD burner it won't burn a DVD in 8 seconds, because DVDs are a slow medium anyway, and it's the actual disk which is slow, not the connections we use. Same goes for hard disks as well. I think that applications for USB 3.0 will be developed though.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by albert on 10-29-2007 at 03:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
It's fast, but you also have to consider wht it will be used for. If you buy a USB 3.0 CD burner it won't burn a DVD in 8 seconds, because DVDs are a slow medium anyway, and it's the actual disk which is slow, not the connections we use. Same goes for hard disks as well. I think that applications for USB 3.0 will be developed though.

Amen.

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by markee on 10-29-2007 at 03:21 AM

quote:
I think you'll be looking at thumb drives that use 2 (or more) hard drives in RAID or something similar to maximise the potential. The same when going back to your computer as well.  You can also run VERY high quality video through it as well and it would drastically help with being able to carry around video editting files because they are always huge.  These are the first ideas that come to my mind but I'm sure other people will see te potential in the future and embrace it for other products....

EDIT: Personally I think Disc media is on the way out with the price of external HDDs dropping so low and also thumb drives getting cheap and cheaper at such an astonishing rate.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Voldemort on 10-29-2007 at 03:53 AM

quote:
Intel decides to do make something good for a change!
for a change?

where have you been living since like the last... what, 5 years?
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by andrewdodd13 on 10-29-2007 at 07:35 AM

USB ad-hoc networks > Ethernet lulz?

Seriously... I only have 100mbps on my ethernet... and it really only transfers at about 10mbps (partially because I only transfer between my laptop and PC, laptop being wifi) so this could be pretty sweet for transferring files between them.

I don't think it's the USB that's giving you the problem with the speed for your flash drive, Vilkku, it's probably just the flash memory itself. Older flash memory tends to be pretty sucky at copying small files - as is ethernet + wifi, actually...

Anyway. I need to get dressed. :P

RE: RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by rav0 on 10-29-2007 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
USB ad-hoc networks > Ethernet lulz?

Seriously... I only have 100mbps on my ethernet... and it really only transfers at about 10mbps (partially because I only transfer between my laptop and PC, laptop being wifi) so this could be pretty sweet for transferring files between them.
Ethernet has already evolved to 10 Gbps, so twice that of USB 3.0. Plus, ethernet has recognition and support in the industry, and existing hardware can be easily and cheaply upgraded with phased implementation, giving it an advantage. Also, USB is only short range.

quote:
I think that applications for USB 3.0 will be developed though.

I've heard that people working with DV are restricted by the speed of FireWire and USB 2.0. Maybe USB 3.0 would be useful to them.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Jarrod on 10-29-2007 at 11:00 AM

i find hard to understand why we need so insanely fast connection speeds if mine were any quicker the processor would break
i guess it would be useful if you had to make a backup of a hard drive but just use external sata
i rarely copy large amounts of data to my flash disk @ once and even when i do wat's the rush??

hd movies sounds like the most necessary implimentation
i just need a new camera

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Nagamasa on 10-29-2007 at 11:13 AM

Atm, I dont see why I would need it...the "Please wait..." time gives me time to do things in between (like play Tic-Tac-Toe)...I don't mind it taking a little while...

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by Menthix on 10-29-2007 at 11:27 AM

quote:
i find hard to understand why we need so insanely fast connection speeds
Being prepared for the future doesn't hurt. USB3 is still future, when it gets released it will still take some time for most people to get it... most people will eventually get it when they buy a new PC that comes with it. So it might me 5 years from now when you finally get to use it, even then you expect to use the hardware for it for many years.

If USB3 would just have OK speeds now it will be slow in a few years. As long as they can keep the prices down, why not go for the maximum speed the can squeeze out of it?
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by andrewdodd13 on 10-29-2007 at 05:00 PM

Yes, ethernet does go up to 10Gbps, however there are very few home routers which implement it.

Besides, whatever happened to Wireless USB? That will be way more cooler, it was supposed to have like 480Mbps over 3meters and 110 over 10...

RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by markee on 10-30-2007 at 01:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Yes, ethernet does go up to 10Gbps, however there are very few home routers which implement it.

Besides, whatever happened to Wireless USB? That will be way more cooler, it was supposed to have like 480Mbps over 3meters and 110 over 10...
Who cares, 2010 we should start seeeing wifi at about 2.5Gbps so it would be obselete very quickly.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by ShawnZ on 10-30-2007 at 04:53 AM

quote:
USB 3.0 can transfer 4.8GB a second

no, it can transfer 4.8gbps a second.

quote:
you can  transfer a movie in a second

no, you can transfer a movie in 8 seconds.

quote:
There not alot that can.

all of them can, because it has nothing to do with the pc, just the usb  controller.
RE: USB 3.0 - Oo by markee on 10-30-2007 at 05:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
you can  transfer a movie in a second
no, you can transfer a movie in 8 seconds.
You can transfer a DVD in 8 seconds but a 700MB DivX AVI file will take just a touch over a second.  This is the file size that I get a lot of my movies in.