Shoutbox

Make WLM simple to use by old persons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Make WLM simple to use by old persons (/showthread.php?tid=78547)

Make WLM simple to use by old persons by francoisch on 10-30-2007 at 09:04 PM

hello

I love WLM, along with many.

At the opposite, at 89 of age, my mother does not quite have the ability to use it.

I am looking out for something like this:
offer her few icons, wearing her children's pictures, to easily start a conversation with them.

You understand that I want to put on the side the WLM main panel and the conversation panel as well.

Would anyone see a way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Do I mention that I almost found what I am looking for with the ooVoo Favorite bar? Well, for the time being, I would rather prefer remain with WLM providing that I could find a good solution.

Francois

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by Chris4 on 10-30-2007 at 09:56 PM

You should use Mess Patch to disable/hide things that your mother will not need. This will clean up WLM and make it a lot easier to use. Good luck.

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by francoisch on 10-31-2007 at 08:53 PM

hello Chris4 and thank you for your answer.

I started Mess Patch but was told that Messenger was not installed properly; yarkk.

On the same track, looking into Msg+, I found what is named, translated form French, the floating contacts.

I discovered that there is an option to make them appear among icons on the "Bureau".

To me, this is pretty close to what I am looking for.

I just miss that these contacts would show their picture instead of their nickname.

Have you heard of someting which would make this true?

Thank you for your kind help.

Francois

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by vikke on 11-01-2007 at 08:22 AM

Use A-Patch instead of Mess Patch, download it at www.a-patch.org.

Floating contacts with display picture? This could be written as a script, however I'm too busy today, sorry. :(
I might do it someday.

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by francoisch on 11-01-2007 at 09:09 AM

hello

Well, floating contacts with display picture exist, at least one of this, and I found it there: http://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?docid=219497.

It looks pretty nice.

One more thing I am looking for in my search for helping old persons to easily use Messenger:
- clicking on a floating contact, this normaly opens up the conversation window where, in turn, one should click on the right icon to start a video conversation
- I would like to find an add up which would, on a click on the contact, start the video conversation right away, with no conversation window plus a second click in between

This is important for an old person:
- one click is already much
- pick up the right icon in the conversation window is too much

Would anyone have an idea about how to start a video conversation immediately?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Francois

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by francoisch on 11-01-2007 at 01:41 PM

I missed to mention that there is a small fee to Floating contacts.

Francois

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by Spunky on 11-01-2007 at 06:58 PM

It would be better if you had someone make this into a script for you (for free). It looks quite easy to do. I'm sure someone will have time

RE: Make WLM simple to use by old persons by francoisch on 11-02-2007 at 11:03 AM

hello Spunky and thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have the belief that this could be done via a Script at the same time I perfectly know that I can't do it myself.

Also, this need could match almost anyone's need: start a video conversation right away, as opposed to double-click.

Again, helping old persons to use Messenger is an opening field these days.

Actually, I am involved here in Paris as a volunteer into a project which goal is to help old persons via PC install and easy accessed applications.

I am afraid I can't do it myself and would appreciate if someone would so kind to look into this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Francois