Shoutbox

8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer (/showthread.php?tid=78820)

8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Nagamasa on 11-07-2007 at 12:18 AM

http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5B4...30829E!30775.entry

That means it's officially out of the beta...but has the installer improved?

It seems to be equally slow...its been over ten minutes already and I'm only finished upgrading Sign-In Assistant, and 22% dling Messenger.,..

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Lt.Col.DraGon on 11-07-2007 at 01:36 AM

The new installer was a lot faster than any other version I've installed. Took less than 30 seconds to install, myself thinking that it failed to install, I installed it again and did the same thing.

Seems that there is no "Finish" window in it, but the install was a lot smoother and faster for me.

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by linx05 on 11-07-2007 at 01:39 AM

I am really missing StuffPlug at the moment. There are a few features which I find I need in WLM. I hope an update comes soon.

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Oxy on 11-07-2007 at 07:53 AM

Download link anywhere? only download link i can see leads to 8.1....

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Th3rmal on 11-07-2007 at 08:20 AM

go to mess.be and scroll down the page to the 8.5 Final Release post

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Sunshine on 11-07-2007 at 11:50 AM

http://www.windowslive.com/

Installing went smooth for me. Those who are on a 64 bits version of Vista can use the installer now too.

If any troubles with installing:
KB 940065 - The most common Windows Live services installation problems

Psst: you may want to read the newest post on my website too..there's more than the Windows Live Suite release...

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Felu on 11-07-2007 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
Seems that there is no "Finish" window in it, but the install was a lot smoother and faster for me.
Same here, i thought that the installation failed but then when i checked out the program files folder, everything was there and messenger worked fine.
RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by markee on 11-07-2007 at 01:25 PM

Installation was good, it is just the memmory usage that I have a problem with. 24MB just launched, 45MB just signed in and 53MB when I opened a chat window and was increased to about 60MB and then started using betwee 2 and 10% of CPU . 52MB on signout and the 63MB on signin.  This was a clean install, I even got rid of Plus!.

Right now I'm amazed its still sitting under 60MB with plus and 3 chats, I remember seeing it over 90MB before with this and less talking in the chat windows.

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by absorbation on 11-07-2007 at 04:27 PM

It's just a shame you need Windows Live Installer now (which is awful). This release is still buggy and the comments on their development blog don't make nice reading. People are not happy with this update, and I'll be sticking with 8.1.

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Oxy on 11-07-2007 at 05:48 PM

Messenger has really gone downhill since the update to windows live.

The installer was stupid. half an hour to install messenger, writer and mail!? you must be kidding.

the current 8.5 GUI is ugly too. it only looks half decent patched...

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by aNILEator on 11-07-2007 at 06:50 PM

I like the 8.5 GUI just needs some aero enhancements for vista the WLInstaller is terrible, good in idea shite in practise and slow as hell at downloading and installing!

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by rix on 11-07-2007 at 07:04 PM

I don't like the installer system. It took me 10-15 minutes to install the WLM with sign-in assistant and i can't imagine what i would have done if had been in hurry. Microsoft should let users to choose an alternative way of installing the software. That would be much more flexible and user friendly.

The good thing is that the memory usage is a bit lower. :)

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by Quantum on 11-07-2007 at 07:05 PM

It seems that its a slight touch faster. It looked as it would be slower. Anyway the installer could be done with changing ect. Anyway nice news :)

RE: 8.5 Final Relased...along with Mail, Photo Gallery, and Writer by RebelSean on 11-07-2007 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I like the 8.5 GUI just needs some aero enhancements for vista the WLInstaller is terrible, good in idea shite in practise and slow as hell at downloading and installing!

According to Paul, v9.0 will have some very neet aero affects and some silverlight functionality. We'll just have to wait and see :).

quote:
Originally posted by rix
I don't like the installer system. It took me 10-15 minutes to install the WLM with sign-in assistant and i can't imagine what i would have done if had been in hurry. Microsoft should let users to choose an alternative way of installing the software. That would be much more flexible and user friendly.

The good thing is that the memory usage is a bit lower. :)

I agree that there should be deperate installers for each product for those who don't want to use the all-in-one installer. The main initiative for the all-in-one installer is to get users to try the key Windows Live software, or at least to give the programs a try. I downloaded and upgraded: Toolbar, Sign-in Ass, Mail, Messenger, Gallery, and Writer. For me, the new installer took a total time of 7 minutes to download and upgrade compaired to a total time of 16 when the installer was in beta.