Shoutbox

msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers (/showthread.php?tid=79418)

msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 11-27-2007 at 07:39 PM

Hello,
since a few days my friends annoy me with - for my messenger - unreadable icons. Then I heard about msmsgs PLUS and so found your site.

I am using the pidgin messenger and can't (time problem) and do not want to use the microsoft messenger.

I am using Pidgin (opensource).

Well, pidgin doesn't know anything about msmsgs plus and so tells me ... letters like &##2355 so msmsgs PLUS codes.

As I am programming things, I would build an extension to Pidgin.
Allthough there were some threads about the sourcecode, the sourcecode itself won't be necessary.

As i had seen on my Pidgin, msmsgsPLUS seems to work via the text interface, like HTML, so if a text e.g. shoulg be bold or laughing, etc., there stands sth. like "&#laughing text".

So if you could explain the technic of the code extensions,
I would most probably be able to create a plugin for Pidgin (and perhaps for some other messengers, if their output can be manipulated enough^^)

So you wouldn't need to tell the SourceCode and won't have problems with these msn guys (as i read somewhere) and I (and many others :D) would be happy and msmsgs would become more public (of course I would mention about you, who created the framework and link this page, etc.) as it would be (much) more compatible to the non microsoft (and so non adverted :D) world.

MfG, (yours sincerly)
Michael

btw.: Can you give me a link about the MSN Messenger Server commands & RFC's with some examples?

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mynetx on 11-27-2007 at 10:20 PM

MSN Protocol 8:
http://msnpiki.msnfanatic.com/index.php/Main_Page

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by MiG-X on 11-27-2007 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Well, pidgin doesn't know anything about msmsgs plus and so tells me ... letters like &##2355 so msmsgs PLUS codes.

I really don't mind of Pidgin as I use the official client...but I'd really like Plus! for the Pocket PC (official) version of MSN :) Do we have any change to see it anytime soon?
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by MattyRid on 11-27-2007 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MiG-X
I really don't mind of Pidgin as I use the official client...but I'd really like Plus! for the Pocket PC (official) version of MSN :) Do we have any change to see it anytime soon?

I wouldn't think so as there is only 1 developer, Patchou. All development time is devoted to Messenger Plus! as it is with I'm sure it would be well over 250+ lines of code, documentation, etc. already in Plus! I highly doubt that Patchou can devote time to other forms of Messenger.
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 11-28-2007 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
quote:

I wouldn't think so as there is only 1 developer, Patchou. All development time is devoted to Messenger Plus! as it is with I'm sure it would be well over 250+ lines of code, documentation, etc. already in Plus! I highly doubt that Patchou can devote time to other forms of Messenger.

Well,
that's exactly what I think too, so I would like to work on compatibility on other Programs, but without the how-it-works definition, I can't do anything-.-

Thanks for the link^^

MfG,
Michael

BTW:
quote:
Why should anyone care more about the pocketversion than any other messenger? :D
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by markee on 11-28-2007 at 01:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
I'm sure it would be well over 250+ lines of code
More like more than 100,000 lines of code.  I remeber Patchou stating that figure a few months ago (and before the skinning engine was started I believe).

I think Patchou would love the idea of someone making the text features compatible with other clients and I think he would help if you wanted to make some of the more complex features (such as linking to the sounds database) into a reality as well.  As long as you have a try there will hopefully, always be someone who will offer to help you on these forums, especially for the purpose of more compatibility with Plus (which currently is used by more than 22 million users I do believe).
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 11-28-2007 at 01:10 PM

100,000 lines of code is much :o

an extra engine is a pretty lot work!^^

Am I right if I say, that any interaction between two plus clients works via the chatbox?

ex.: A says B: "&#sound:hello#&", client B's plus engine sees "&#sound:hello#&" and rewrites it: "A says Sound: Hello" and plays the sound hello.wav

Where are the additional files stored?
If yes, how are these files multiplied?
By using the "Send file" function (which would then work like in the example but with a file)?

btw:
Are you coding in VB/VB.Net?

MfG,
Michael

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by markee on 11-28-2007 at 01:21 PM

You are right, commands such as sounds are sent through normal messages.  These relate to either a sound stored locally as a default sound or one in the scripts database that matches the id sent.  For the sounds database go to www.msgpluslive.net/sounds/ or mpsounds.net as these are both great for the information.  Any information that is sent between 2 people is done through text in the chats and you should be able to start understanding all the special symbols after you see the same type of message used a few times.  there are the likes of /me as well for actions and /ping to check if someone has plus installed.  Oh and sounds are sent to the database and then to your contact I do believe (I might be wrong on this fact, I personally haven't had much to do with it at all).

As for what Plus! is coded in, it is done in Visual C++ I do believe and the single person who codes it uses the name Patchou.

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 11-28-2007 at 01:38 PM

Thanks for the link^^

Ok, I will read through the page.
Hopefully I can integrate it into Pidgin^^

The msmsgs server (through telnet) is not very "tolerant" to me :D

I still don't really understand the encryption, but I will try myself with modificating pidgin^^

MfG,
Michael

Schon weiter gekommen :D by mike_2006 on 11-28-2007 at 01:50 PM

So,
ich hab versteh jetzt das Sound-Link-system.
Das Problem:
Wo kann ich im inet auf den Sound z.b. mit der ID:
EA20A5339032
Herunterladen?

Wahrscheinlich geht das net so einfach wie mit nem FTP:
open ftp.de
name
geheim
get EA20A5339032.wav
close
quit
Oder? :D

Wo kann ich diese Soundpacks als diese nicht habender Client herunterladen und . bei mehreren - extracten?

MfG,
Michael

btw: ist mpsounds die einzige downloadadresse? (würde das Ganze einfacher machen^^)

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by Dempsey on 11-28-2007 at 03:11 PM

I can't find where now, but Patchou has stated before that no other programs other than Messenger Plus! itself are allowed to access the sound server, as it would just be using up his bandwith without any benefits to his users!

RE: RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 11-28-2007 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
I can't find where now, but Patchou has stated before that no other programs other than Messenger Plus! itself are allowed to access the sound server, as it would just be using up his bandwith without any benefits to his users!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I think that this depends on the situation.
I am adapting my Pidgin to Messenger Plus.
So it would be a kind of MSMSGS plus^^

btw:
Users can download the sounds via the http interface -
so everyone can do it, even a simple kind of http get.
Allthough it would not be allowed, it would be possible...

MfG,
Michael

Project status:
Adapting Pidgin ist not veeery hard, but you have to do it via the logs - the pidgin API ist not ..... very well documentated...
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by Menthix on 11-28-2007 at 03:34 PM

The thread Dempsey means was in a thread about a plugin for Trillian that accessed the sounds. It basically allowed Trillian users to hear the Plus! sounds by downloading them from Patchou's servers. Such a thing is not allowed. so in your case it probably isn't either.

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by pollolibredegrasa on 11-28-2007 at 05:33 PM

You can read Patchou's response here

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 11-29-2007 at 08:49 AM

oh -.- :o
not good :D
well,
if it is not wanted that there is a bit more compatibility,
I will stop doing my plugin-.-

But I will still not use msmsgs - I don't want it and it has got problems and so I don't need to think about downloading Plus, if msmsgs allready doesn't work^^

MfG,
Michael

P.S.: plus is still a pretty good idea

BTW:

quote:

Doesn't he have a Flatrate? :D^^

Oh, and ... how can't it be a benefit to his users, if people using the plugin use the plus service and so get a benefit? :D
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mynetx on 12-25-2007 at 01:52 PM

Michael, you got luck I understand German, but the others here won't so better translate your last post ,)

quote:
Originally posted by mike_2006, translated

So,
I understand now the Sound link system.
The problem:
Where on the web can I download the sound with the ID, e.g.
EA20A5339032 ?

I guess it's not the easy as with an FTP:
open ftp.de
name
secret
get EA20A5339032.wav
close
quit
Or? :D

Where can I download those soundpacks when I don't have them yet, and if multiple - extract?

Regards,
Michael

btw: is mpsounds the only download address? (would make the thing easier^^)

And now to the answer:
there's a script for downloading emotion sounds as mp3s. If you study its source code, you will find out how to download emotion sounds using HTTP. ;)

/edit: I think Patchou's restriction does not take place with this script, as this is within Messenger Plus! and no external access.
/edit 2: But if I'm wrong, just delete this post instantly and PM me about it.

Mnjul temporarily removed the attachment because of concern that it reveals download URLs for sounds.
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by CookieRevised on 12-25-2007 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mike_2006
BTW:
quote:
Doesn't he have a Flatrate? :D^^

Oh, and ... how can't it be a benefit to his users, if people using the plugin use the plus service and so get a benefit? :D
For starters, the sound database is extremely heavly used and thus this costs a lot of money. People who install Plus! have a chance to also install the sponsor, which pays for these costs. 3rd party apps do not include this possible revenue to be used to maintain those servers and thus will never pay for the servers. In fact, you could even claim that if 3rd party apps are going to use this too, even more ads and sponsor stuff must be included in Plus! to cope with the extra costs....
RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by Patchou on 12-25-2007 at 07:43 PM

As a general rule, the sound server must not be accessed from any other software than Messenger Plus!.I thank you for your interest but the sound servers are costly and I can't let other people use it directly, I hope you understand why.

Thanks.

RE: msmsgs PLUS - on other messengers by mike_2006 on 12-26-2007 at 07:24 PM

Ok.

If it's not allowed - I won't do no more.

MfG,
Michael
P.S.: Merry Christmas^^

BTW.: Wouldn't there be a possibility to replicate the sounds by p2p?
That means if a client that doesn't have a certain sound asks the person who sent the sound to send the whole raw sound package file. Though msmsgs plus is a rather great modification, this, I think, would be a good extension and lower the usage of the sound db's bandwith a bit^^