Shoutbox

wlm not remembering account information - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: wlm not remembering account information (/showthread.php?tid=79579)

wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-03-2007 at 03:41 PM

hey im having a werid problem with my windows live messenger, it is not remembering my account information. i have checked remember my info and pass but once i reboot my computer it clears. can anyone help me?

RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-03-2007 at 03:46 PM

try telling it to remember your information, signing in, then signing out

does it still remember your information?

if so, then exit WLM manually (right click on taskbar icon and choose "exit" then re-open messenger from the start manu.....is your information still there now?

if so, then try restarting your computer and then it should be okay :)

RE: wlm not remembering account information by aNILEator on 12-03-2007 at 03:46 PM

Does it remember the details if you sign in, then sign out again, or exit messenger and start it again, without rebooting?

ATTACK of the SAME POST TIME :O[Image: zippyah.gif]

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-03-2007 at 03:58 PM

yes it remembers when i sign in then sign out, or exit messenger then restart it, even logoff then log back on, but when i reboot it completely forgets my account information

EDIT: whats weird is also it says sign in may take longer than usual, when i sign in

RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-03-2007 at 04:04 PM

Just a random thought, do you have either SweetIM or Smiley Central installed?  I know that these cause issues with Messenger Plus upon reboot, so it's possible that they may interfere with WLM itself

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-03-2007 at 04:08 PM

nope i have none of these above installed, i ran wise reg cleaner on that day when the problem occurs but sadly i did not back up my regs =(

RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-03-2007 at 04:09 PM

Try doing a fresh install of WLM 8.5

That may well restore any registry values which were accidentally wiped out

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-03-2007 at 04:11 PM

i did, and wlm is still having the same problem =(

RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-03-2007 at 04:13 PM

did you uninstall it before re-installing?

try it now, you never know what might help

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-03-2007 at 04:16 PM

yes i uninstalled before reinstalling, and after i uninstalled i tried to delete all the leftover wlm keys in regs too. and it still wont work.

RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-03-2007 at 04:21 PM

what if you try using another e-mail address?  does it remember that one?

you could also try doing a system restore back to when it was working, before you messed with the registry

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-03-2007 at 04:44 PM

yea i tried other accounts and its still having the same problem. and i have system restore disabled =(

RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-03-2007 at 05:06 PM

i really don't know in that case

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Contacts

try going to that path and deleting all folders in those and then trying again

you will need to enable hidden folders to see the ones in the "Contacts" folder

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-04-2007 at 02:03 AM

i tired that, it still didnt work, thought i can c my accounts in those folder and registry, someone wlm just dont load it no matter how many times i reinstall

RE: RE: wlm not remembering account information by djdannyp on 12-04-2007 at 02:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riceboy
i tired that, it still didnt work, thought i can c my accounts in those folder and registry, someone wlm just dont load it no matter how many times i reinstall

i don't understand what you mean

can you explain more clearly please?
RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-04-2007 at 02:23 AM

somehow* sry misstypo, i meant that i found my accounts r stored in registry

also i found out something werid, under my registry HKEY_USERS there more than 1 subkey, other than .default, there is S_1_5_18
S_1_5_19
S_1_5_19_Classes
S_1_5_20
S_1_5_20_Classes
S-1-5-21-1214440339-1390067357-839522115-500
S-1-5-21-1214440339-1390067357-839522115-500_Classes

is that normal?

RE: wlm not remembering account information by CookieRevised on 12-04-2007 at 05:06 AM

Yes it is normal!

I very strongly suggest you do not tamper and mess with the registr like that.

It sounds like you've removed vital keys and thus screwed up some stuff. If this is so, it is impossible to tell how to fix this. The best thing you can try to do is to place back a copy of your registry before you messed with it and before you run that registry-cleaner program.

If you want to mess with the registry, or even use registry-cleaners, ALWAYS make a backup first. Even so called registry-cleaners can seriously mess things up and should therefor only be used if you exactly know what they will do, why they do it and how they do it.

You problem seems to be some missing registry keys from Windows itself, or maybe some files on your harddisk. Remember, account information like that (Windows Live IDs and Passports) is not stored under the Messenger registry keys but are stored in registry keys belonging to the system and/or files on your hard disk.

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-04-2007 at 04:08 PM

seems like theres something wrong with my registry because my other im programs r facing the same problem as well, is there anyway to fix my regs? i should have backed it up before i ran the reg cleaner

RE: wlm not remembering account information by TheSteve on 12-04-2007 at 04:37 PM

(Assuming that you're using Windows XP)
Try creating a new Windows XP user account and see if it can remember the profile information.  This used to big issue with MSN Explorer 9 and the only way I could fix it was to create a new user profile.

RE: wlm not remembering account information by leespud on 12-05-2007 at 02:16 PM

brilliant thread!!! been searching for a solution to this problem for nearly 6 weeks now!!! posted on many forums with not a single response!! had exact same problem with registry cleaner screwing up my messenger, gmail etc login details on reboot. the create a new account works!! just need to transfer over all my settings.

Thanks You very very much!!!

RE: wlm not remembering account information by riceboy on 12-05-2007 at 03:03 PM

thank you all so so much for help, lol damn i just saw ur reply thesteve after i reinstal winxp, and its fixed now hehe anyways thank you soo much