Shoutbox

A good old word called "respect" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: A good old word called "respect" (/showthread.php?tid=79611)

A good old word called "respect" by Chrono on 12-04-2007 at 06:18 AM

Well... i didn't really want to post this (but dane made me do it).

The fact is that i'm tired. i'm tired of people harassing each other for no reason. i'm tired of people picking on you every time you do a little mistake. I'm tired of people who think they're cool just because they rant and insult all the time. But most of all, i'm tired of members who take the word 'respect' too lightly.

I wont be the one starting the typical thread about how the community has changed that pop ups every now and then. But i do want to get my point straight, so basically i'm gonna reinforce a rule since... right now :P

It's basically about respect. I want you to respect each other. I know you sometimes have fun calling each other a newb or an idiot, but you must learn when you've crossed the line and it started being offensive. You can't insult everyone just to 'look cool', i've seen members who even insult new comers for no real reason... c'mon, if they joined the community it's because they need help, even if it's an easy question you must behave yourself.

One of the things that pisses me off is when you call someone a newb every five minutes. "He's a newb cause he made a spelling mistake", "he's a newb cause he doesn't know about this or that", "he's a newb cause... his family's newb: his dad was newb and his kids will probably be newbs". It's true that it's funny when appropriate, but it stops being funny when you start picking on someone every time he posts, for no reason. And i've realized about that because there are plenty of members who are calling me newb for, then again, no reason.

There are members who don't even know me, and they feel like they can call me a newb just because this or that guy does. And they do it on every single post even if i didn't say anything about them. Seriously, i don't care whatever you think of me, i'm not gonna feel bad because someone called me a newb on the internet "ZOMG THEY CALLED ME NEWB LYKE WAHTMA GONNA DO NOW ;o;", but the fact that you don't have respect for people you don't even know, simply bothers me. Are you going around on the streets calling newb every guy you see? i hope not 8-). So, i'm not asking you to stop using that word, that'd be stupid. Just control yourself, and use it "when appropriate", not just for the heck of it.

But this thread's obviously not about the word newb, else i should stop using the internet. As i said, it's about respect. i want you to respect each other, and if you dont, you'll get a ban. You can joke all you want with the people you know, but if anyone reports something about you being disrespectful with someone, you'll be warned and/or banned, depending on who you are and your previous behavior. You know, Moderator's criteria :P

I hope i made my point clear, i just want some of you to stop being so annoyingly disrespectful on every post you do, and grow up once and for all. If you're wondering why did i ban Rolando, this is exactly why (and the fact that he reposted a post over and over after i constantly deleted it, it really got on my nerves :P) . It's just a 24 hours ban so don't worry, he'll be back (i suppose :P). Unblock me Rolando, now!

Chrono.

PS: Avoid trying to be funny by pointing out my spelling mistakes. i know im not good with this :zippy:

RE: A good old word called "respect" by Dane on 12-04-2007 at 06:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Well... i didn't really want to post this (but dane made me do it).

:-P, I should elaborate here.  I suggested the posting of this thread since the behavior(s) in question are widespread, and the random springing of bans on members would be suspicious and weird.  This way the mods can be like, "Look, You've been warned."
RE: A good old word called "respect" by High Speed Chaser on 12-04-2007 at 06:34 AM

You have a good point Chrono. I have to agree with you.
People can be really rude and I can only hope the community can clean up its act.

Personally I think warning people once before a ban is better than automatically banning someone even if it's only for 24 hours.

RE: A good old word called "respect" by Patchou on 12-04-2007 at 06:48 AM

oh, so that would explain the email I got today from somebody else.... Chromo is right, we can have fun with each other but there's a line that we must not cross.

I know that sometimes, some of us may seem to cross this line but that's mainly because we've "known" each other for many years now (I'm thinking about Chromo and Omar right now, two guys I like to pick on, two guys I respect nonetheless). Having "fun" implies that the people you're talking to are having as much "fun" as you. If not, jokes can rapidely become more personal, look like insults, etc...

Thank you all for understanding.

RE: A good old word called "respect" by Chrono on 06-11-2008 at 12:14 AM

bump.

im just letting you know that i'll start banning people again when they don't respect each other (aka posting unnecessary threads about members like krissy). We kinda forgot about this thread, and i thought you should all read it again :)

Chrono.