Shoutbox

www.youareblocked.com - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: www.youareblocked.com (/showthread.php?tid=79659)

www.youareblocked.com by Dreamsilver on 12-05-2007 at 02:26 PM

i was just talking to my fren on msn when suddenly the msn popup showed www.youareblocked.com has just signed in and i was like WTH? since it the popup wasnt once but many times that it stacked above each other. after about 5secs when the popups disappear, it happened again so i went to check if any of my contacts went to change their nick to that but that did not happen.

any idea wat is happening to my msn? though the popup thing has stopped already. and im currently scanning my com now but i doubt it will find anything also 

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Knucks on 12-05-2007 at 02:31 PM

It's one of those sites that asks a person their MSN Account and Password. Unfortunately, it looks like some of your friends on your contact list has fallen for it. I'm not sure how it completely works but it is against phishing laws.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Volv on 12-05-2007 at 02:33 PM

I have not visited the site, but it sounds like your friend was probably using the site to check who has blocked them and it does that to advertise the service before changing the user's nickname back to normal and signing out.

Block checkers do not work properly any more and are often very risky as it involves giving your password to third parties who may not necessarily be whom they appear to be. If your friend is lucky it may just be advertising and that is it, if he is not then he has given his password to someone who will attempt to hijack his Windows Live Passport.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by MeEtc on 12-05-2007 at 03:00 PM

Tell your friend to change his/her password to login to MSN services right away. The messages should stop after that.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Dreamsilver on 12-05-2007 at 03:17 PM

ok thanks for the help and quick reply :)

RE: www.youareblocked.com by LiNaNaNa on 12-08-2007 at 03:29 AM

[color=blue]My friend recomended me the website and saying that it is good. It helps to track down whoever is blocking or deleted you . I was like, 'cool.Let me check it out.'  So I DID check the website out.
The website seems like a profesional website.So I logged in my username and password.Suddenly the msn thingy said 'You have logged out your account to another computer.' I was shocked !:o
(N)Bad(N)Bad(N)Bad(N)
I tried loggging in again but it failed . Never ever ever go to that website ! :|
But the way is simple, just change yr password(:
Hahahah !;)

RE: www.youareblocked.com by CookieRevised on 12-08-2007 at 03:44 AM

Each time I'm flabbergasted to read how people simply enter their login and password just like that on a 'good' looking site...

Even if blockcheckers worked, they STILL would NOT need your password!!!!

Think about it, what would they be able to do more with your login and password that you already can't when you log in in your Messenger? Nothing!!!!

A login, and certainly a password, is NOT needed AT ALL. No matter what those sites may claim, no matter if blockcheckers actually work or not.

If they ask for your login, they most likely use this to sell the email to spammers.
If they ask for you password also, they most likely use this to break into your account.
As simple as that.

---

It is like saying that they need your social security number and bank/visa account in order to calculate how much you need to pay at the cash register when you bought some apples. lol...

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Curtis on 12-08-2007 at 04:08 AM

Don't blockcheckers work by just checking if the person is online or not?

They wouldn't need your password or your e-mail at all.  A few of my friends have fallen for this.  They're really really dumb though.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by High Speed Chaser on 12-08-2007 at 04:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Curtis
Don't blockcheckers work by just checking if the person is online or not?

They wouldn't need your password or your e-mail at all.  A few of my friends have fallen for this.  They're really really dumb though.

I don't understand how some people are stupid enough to give there password to a third party site. I mean you can't trust any one these days.

Not Chrono, Not [Image: dodgywdz.gif] WDZ, Not even Patchou! Ok maybe you could trust Patchou and Mnjul.

Remeber our deal :deal: Patchou and Mnjul.
RE: www.youareblocked.com by Azure on 12-09-2007 at 01:15 PM

I know I am dumb!!! But please help.

I entered my email and password to this darn website a few nights ago. I couldnt sign in to MSN for a few minutes, and when I finally managed to enter, some of my friends questioned me about the link that 'I' have sent them. I knew I was in trouble and could not sleep properly ever since.

Is this a virus? More harmless spyware? Or a trojan? Gosh..

I have changed my msn password the day after I entered the website. But just now when I entered my hotmail account, the screen was crawling and the tabs were all over the place! So it does not help if you just change your password! :((

Also, my AVG anti-virus programme detected changes in the following files: shell32.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, and drivers\etc\hosts, all from Windows system32. The AVG anti-spyware detected tracking cookies but they kept coming back. Spybot did not detect anything.

So now, what should I do? (my com uses Windows Vista)

HELP!

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Eddie on 12-09-2007 at 03:45 PM

If you have the option and have given up all hope you could probably perform a system restore to before whenever this event happened, but im not even sure if this will work, but it could be a last gasp effort.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by CookieRevised on 12-09-2007 at 03:54 PM

Changing the password was all you could do.

The links appeared to your contacts because that website (at least the automated service on that website) logged in using your password and login. It then advertised itself by sending its link to everybody on your contactlist.

However, it can not install something on your computer. At least, not when you have some kind of security system in place which would detect ActiveX controls or whatever being executed from the website.

So the tab changing, slowing downs, etc can well be from something else you did.

I suggest you disable system restore, reboot your computer into safe mode, and do a complete full system scan.

Remove the Windows Live Messenger completely (=uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Programs control panel) and removing its program directory from your computer (to make sure everything is removed).

Then redownload Windows Live Messenger and reinstall it.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Quantum on 12-09-2007 at 03:57 PM

Change your password right away and your secret questions.  Now uninstall messenger and all ad-ons you have installed including plus). Have a look through your program files and see if theres any "weird" looking programs that you don't recognize. If there is any uninstall them.

Run spy ware cleaners and anti-virus programs on your machine and delete/destroy all bad files they pick up.

Restart your machine in safe mode and delete all the files from your program files that you didn't install.

Restart. Install windows live messenger from the official website then plus.
Restart.

Problem solved. (hopefully)

Edit: :(

RE: www.youareblocked.com by CookieRevised on 12-09-2007 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Restart your machine in safe mode and delete all the files from your program files that you didn't install.
do NOT do that! At least, not in the way it is stated here....

There are a lot of things in your program files directory which you probably didn't install, but which will seriously cripple programs and/or your system if you just start deleting stuff.

PS: You need to boot up in safe mode before running an anti-virus/spyware... not the other way around. Booting up in safe makes that potential malware is not started up and thus it can't hide itself from anti-virus/spyware programs.... Of course doing a scan before and doing a scan after booting up in safe mode doesn't hurt. Although the scan before booting into safe mode isn't really needed at all, since you would scan just the same stuff (and even more) in safe mode.

Also do not forget to disable System Restore before scanning.

BTW: Your tutorial you've made here is appreciated, but there are a lot of things in there which aren't quite good. Also, there are already tutorials like that on the forums.

----------------------

I suggest to read:
CookieRevised's reply to norton help needed!!!
RE: www.youareblocked.com by Quantum on 12-09-2007 at 05:00 PM

Sorry about wording it wrong. I will reword it :)

RE: www.youareblocked.com by CookieRevised on 12-09-2007 at 05:52 PM

It is not just wording it wrong, but also forgetting very important tasks to perform prior to other tasks, etc. Such tutorials should be as accurate as possible.

eg: see CookieRevised's reply to norton help needed!!!

;)

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Azure on 12-09-2007 at 07:23 PM

Thanks for replying so fast! I have followed your instructions but have forgotten to disable the system restore thing. Will try again once Im back.

So is this website a less threatening spyware? I have forgotten whether my ActiveX block was up.. I just got my own com a few months ago. :^)

However, in safe mode, my AVG reported an error in reading the Boot Sector of Disk C:, in addition to the other 3 changed files. Is this normal in safe mode?

Also, the guide in the symantics website, is it applicable for Vista? As it only show it is for XP and ME editions.

Let's hope this works out!! :)

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Azure on 12-10-2007 at 07:59 PM

Hmm as I am using Windows Vista.. Does 'disable'='turn off'?

Which particular disk do I select to turn off? The options were: (C:) (System), (D:), and (C:)(Missing).

Is a 'missing' (C:) a cause for worry?

Also, when I tried to switch off system restore for one of the disks, it says 'All existing restore points will be deleted and no new ones will be created'. Is it ok to delete all existing restore points? What if I need to restore the system to some point?

Thanks!

RE: www.youareblocked.com by owenw on 12-14-2007 at 01:20 AM

I believe this site to be very malicious, and to change your MSN details, and grab all of your contacts details, sending them email from an account which appears to be you, telling them to check out this website too.

RE: www.youareblocked.com by riahc4 on 12-16-2007 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Each time I'm flabbergasted to read how people simply enter their login and password just like that on a 'good' looking site...

Even if blockcheckers worked, they STILL would NOT need your password!!!!

Think about it, what would they be able to do more with your login and password that you already can't when you log in in your Messenger? Nothing!!!!

A login, and certainly a password, is NOT needed AT ALL. No matter what those sites may claim, no matter if blockcheckers actually work or not.

If they ask for your login, they most likely use this to sell the email to spammers.
If they ask for you password also, they most likely use this to break into your account.
As simple as that.

---

It is like saying that they need your social security number and bank/visa account in order to calculate how much you need to pay at the cash register when you bought some apples. lol...

I think the sticky of block checkers do not work should be translated (something very important) and posted on ALL sites IMO.
RE: www.youareblocked.com by CookieRevised on 12-17-2007 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
I think the sticky of block checkers do not work should be translated (something very important) and posted on ALL sites IMO.
I agree 100%, and in the Dutch forum this has been done a long time ago... Still, people don't always read such posts as we can see on this forum too ;)

And if you mean "posting it on all sites" as in: other Messenger related forums and websites, I still agree :D
RE: www.youareblocked.com by baobei0099 on 04-18-2008 at 07:41 PM

[font=Trebuchet MS][color=purple][i]how can i know who blocked me?^o)

RE: www.youareblocked.com by Mike on 04-18-2008 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by baobei0099
[font=Trebuchet MS][color=purple][i]how can i know who blocked me?^o)
You can't: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=30637