Shoutbox

[How To] - Update Your Skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [How To] - Update Your Skin (/showthread.php?tid=79681)

[How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-06-2007 at 01:28 PM

How to update your skin
difficulty level - basic

You made a nice skin but now a new messenger version got released it isn't working anymore, now what?
Now we are going to upgrade your current skin to work with the new version!

First of all make sure you save your current skin, including the plsk, elsewhere too (backup folder).

Then you can start editing the SkinInfo.xml in your current skin folder. First put in the new version in Compatibility in Information area and make sure you have TraceFile set to true (if you use this element).

code:
     <Compatibility>
       <MsgVersion Major="9" Minor="0"/>
     </Compatibility>
     <TraceFile>true</TraceFile>

Next thing to do is put in the new messenger version in the Restrictions area(s).
code:
     <Restrictions>
       <MsgVersions>
         <Version Major="9" Minor="0"/>
       </MsgVersions>
     </Restrictions>

If you have more Resource blocks repeat in those too.
Now in Messenger select your skin and restart as asked. This will generate a SkinTrace.txt in the skin folder if there's incompatibilities.

This file will give you some information about what isn't working, this is described in:
Messenger Plus! Live - Skinning Documentation
Skins Essentials - The Trace File

First things to fix are the Definition files/Style sheets (if you modified any for your skin). You will need to use the ones from the new version so first extract the resources. You can do so from the skin panel in Plus! Preferences > Customize! > Skins. Rename the current msgres file(s) in your skin's folder to f.e. msgres_4004_947_85.txt (note the 85 at the end is old version number for easy reference) then copy the ones you altered in your skin from the resources folder to your skin's folder so you can edit the copy (if you plan on making a multi-version skin: rename* this copy to f.e. msgres_4004_947_90.txt). Now you will need to put everything you altered in them into the new msgres files. If you forgot what you've altered, or just want to make sure everything is copied over and in the correct place you can use a comparing app such as AptDiff (freeware). Using a tool like this will make this task lots easier, you can even copy whole blocks from one file to the other.

Once you fixed these files, rename (if you renamed them) the resources in SkinInfo.xml to the correct ones.
Example:
code:
     <Windows>
        <Definitions>
           <Definition Id="947">
              <File>msgres_4004_947_90.txt</File>
           </Definition>
        </Definitions>
     </Windows>       

Now try your skin again, you will see lots less errors reported in the SkinTrace. If it's still not all working as should then there are images/backgrounds IDs that have a different ID in the new version. To solve this you will have to look into the new resources to find the new ID and edit that in your SkinInfo.xml accordingly. Check your SkinTrace file again and if there's no more errors: congrats, you succesfully updated your skin to work with the new version! If you only want it to work with this new version you can remove all files from the folder that are no longer in use and repackage your skin (don't forget to set TraceFile back to false before you do).

How about if we want it backwards compatible?

How to update your skin with backwards compatibility (Multi-version skin)
difficulty level - advanced

If you want your skin to be backwards compatible, you will need to appoint resources to different messenger versions in your SkinInfo.xml. This can be achieved by using different resource blocks (<ResGroup>):
1 for everything that hasn't changed in the new version,
1 for the things different in the new version and
1 for the the things that are different in the previous version.
You tell it to load that specific block by setting restrictions in it.

Block for things unchanged:
code:
    <ResGroup>
      <Restrictions>
        <MsgVersions>
          <Version Major="8" Minor="5"/>
        </MsgVersions>
      </Restrictions>
     <Resources>
     </Resources>
    </ResGroup>

This block will be loaded in Windows Live Messenger version 9.0 and 8.5
Put all things same in both versions between <Resources></Resources> in this block.

Block for new version:
code:
     <ResGroup>
       <Restrictions>
         <MsgVersions>
         </MsgVersions>
       </Restrictions>
      <Resources>
      </Resources>
     </ResGroup>

This block will be loaded in addition to the first when using Windows Live Messenger 9.0
Put all things different in the new version between <Resources></Resources> in this block.

Block for previous version:
code:
     <ResGroup>
       <Restrictions>
         <MsgVersions>
         </MsgVersions>
       </Restrictions>
      <Resources>
      </Resources>
     </ResGroup>

This block will be loaded in addition to the first when using Windows Live Messenger 8.5
Put all things different in previous version between <Resources></Resources> in this block.

You can use this method from the get go (copy paste differences from the first block to the seperate resource blocks and edit in the block for the new version) or make a single version skin and compare later on (remember your backup folder) and then edit skinInfo.xml to be compatible with both versions.

Finally, don't forget to edit the Compatibility element in Information to support both versions:
code:
     <Compatibility>
       <MsgVersion Major="9" Minor="0"/>
       <MsgVersion Major="8" Minor="5"/>
     </Compatibility>

*Rename - instead of renaming your msgres files you can also put them in seperate folders, just make sure to specify the folder in SkinInfo Resource block(s) then too (and not to modify the wrong one by accident as all files will be named the same) - thanks aNILEator for this tip.

Note: the messenger versions in this tutorial are used as an example. Version 9 is not released.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 01:09 PM

hi i was looking in the resources for 8.1 and compared them to 8.5 absolutely nothing has changed between the 2 versions as far as i can see yet when i add the 8.1 version tags to SkinInfo file it dont work in 8.1 can somebody help me figure out how to make my skin 8.1 compatable please as the instructions above do not help at all.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 01:21 PM

Even if none of the IDs changed you will still need to use the Definition/Style files from 8.5 to make it work with 8.5. Look in the SkinTrace.txt for clues as to what is wrong.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 01:24 PM

ok im not sure what you mean, as you stated above underneathe every version tag for 8.5 ive added one for 8.1, below is my skin trace file

quote:
07/12/12 13:21:50| **** The trace has started ****
07/12/12 13:21:50| Skin: Beach Skin 1.00
07/12/12 13:21:50| Messenger version: 8.1.178.0 (en-us)
07/12/12 13:21:50| Messenger Plus! version: 4.50.310
07/12/12 13:21:50| Last definition file loaded: 947
07/12/12 13:21:50| Last style sheet file loaded: 947
07/12/12 13:21:50| Last picture file loaded: 20099
07/12/12 13:21:50| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 290
07/12/12 13:21:50| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
07/12/12 13:21:51| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 290
07/12/12 13:21:51| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
07/12/12 13:21:58| **** The trace has ended ****

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 01:30 PM

You changed a stylesheet for your skin in 8.1 (logon). You need to put all the changes you made in that into the same stylesheet from 8.5 resources. For multi version compatibility make seperate resource blocks (ResGroup) for things different in both versions.

Once you've done that restart messenger and see if there's still errors in SkinTrace.txt

If it makes things any clearer have a look at the SkinInfo.xml in my skin (SkyLines).

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 01:59 PM

ive added a second set of the definition and style files and put them in folders etc and clearly stated where each versions files are as far as i can tell it should work but doesnt

please understand this is my 3rd day using xml so i still dont really understand it properly yet can you please help?

EDIT:

i think the easiest thing is if you look at my files for me and see if you can spoit my mistake maybe then you can point out to me what i did wrong so i can learn from my mistake, i have therefore attached the skin pack file to this message.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 02:21 PM

I'm looking at it and at first glance...you didn't make seperate resgroups for the versions...instead you try to call different files for the same ID in a resgroup for both versions....

* Sunshine tries to fix....and to understand what you did...

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 02:26 PM

ok thank you.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 02:47 PM

Partially fixed, i will leave you to sort out the background change part...

Edit: ohh another thing, you are using the definitions and styles out of the consolidated windows. For public distributions you need to use the corresponding msgres ones out of the Windows resource folder. This is to prevent language changes (string replacements) in other language messengers etc. The ones in consolidated are created by Plus! to help you find what you are looking for.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Partially fixed, i will leave you to sort out the background change part...

Edit: ohh another thing, you are using the definitions and styles out of the consolidated windows. For public distributions you need to use the corresponding msgres ones out of the Windows resource folder. This is to prevent language changes (string replacements) in other language messengers etc. The ones in consolidated are created by Plus! to help you find what you are looking for.

background change part? i dont really see what has to be done there, it still only works in 8.5 and not in 8.1, im sure they all the styles and definition files came from the msgres files and not from the consolidated, but out of curiosity how can you tell the difference?
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
background change part? i dont really see what has to be done there
Just look at what i did, it should give you an idea of how you are supposed to do it. Under the comment change background you got a whole blurb of things...mixed stuff for 8.1 and 8.5 (Definition and Style files) and i have no idea if they belong to the change background stuff or not (i think not, but incase of doubt i leave that to the skin author). If not belonging to it you can put 8.1 stuff in the 8.1 resgroup and the 8.5 stuff in the 8.5 resgroup i created.

Note: I'm working blind too here as i no longer have 8.5.
quote:
it still only works in 8.5 and not in 8.1
That's because you still have some stuff to fix.
quote:
im sure they all the styles and definition files came from the msgres files and not from the consolidated, but out of curiosity how can you tell the difference?
The 947 definition ones are not, i can see because it's tabbed.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 04:26 PM

ok sunshine all elements that specify what version they relate to are now in their version specific resgroups, now then to the best of my knowledge the code listed below which is what is left of the change background resgroup is not specific to either version so what do i do with that?

quote:
        <!-- background replacement -->
        <ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                    <Version Major="8" Minor="1"/>
                </MsgVersions>
                <SkinOptions>
                  <OptionSet>
                    <BoolVal Name="ChangeBkg">true</BoolVal>
                  </OptionSet>
                </SkinOptions>
            </Restrictions>
            <Resources>
            <New>
                <Pictures>   
                    <Picture Id="59001">
                        <File>Windows Live.png</File>
                    </Picture>
                    <Picture Id="59002">
                        <File>WLMessenger.png</File>
                    </Picture>     
                    <Picture Id="59003">
                        <File>background.png</File>
                            <Metadata>
                            <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
                            <UMTop>1</UMTop>
                            <UMRight>1</UMRight>
                            <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
                             </Metadata>
                    </Picture>
            </Pictures>
            </New>
                <Graphics><Pictures>
                    <Picture Id="20061">
                        <File>Beach Gradient.png</File>
                        <Metadata>
                         <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
                         <UMTop>1</UMTop>
                         <UMRight>1</UMRight>
                         <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
                        </Metadata>
                        </Picture>
                        </Pictures></Graphics>
            </Replace></Resources>
        </ResGroup>

<!-- ResGroup for 8.1 -->
        <ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                </MsgVersions>
            </Restrictions>
            <Resources>
                <Replace>
                        </Style>
                        </Styles>
                    </Windows>
                </Replace>
            </Resources>
        </ResGroup>

right theres a problem there, i know exactly what i changed in 947 styles but not a clue what i did in 947 definitions how do i find out?

well maybe if i explain what i did, i turned the forget me link white, i turned the text labels for email address and password white now im assuming thats what i did in definitions right? in relation to the styles file i set id 701 to 59001 and set 703 to 59002

the thing is while i roughly know what changes i made i dont know where to find them in the files.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 04:43 PM

All that is not version specific (in other words the things that are the same in both messenger versions) must be in a block with both MsgVersions in Restrictions.

Is it still producing a SkinTrace (after you checked all is where it should in SkinInfo)?

quote:
right theres a problem there, i know exactly what i changed in 947 styles but not a clue what i did in 947 definitions how do i find out?
Compare the original definitions file with the altered one (original 8.1 > modified 8.1 to find your alterations, modified 8.1 > original 8.5 to copy paste alterations from one file to the other). You can do that manually or with the app i mentioned in my tutorial (Aptdiff).

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 04:54 PM

quote:
All that is not version specific (in other words the things that are the same in both messenger versions) must be in a block with both MsgVersions in Restrictions.

Is it still producing a SkinTrace (after you checked all is where it should in SkinInfo)?

i tested it and its still producing a skin trace i really cant see what im doing wrong.

im not going to attempt to change the files to the correct one the application you linked to cant tell what the difference is cause it even picks up on the changes in layout that their is between the 2 versions and therefore its not just going to show the elements i changed, i couldnt possibly find the changes manually i can only put the proper msgres files in if someone gives me a tutorial on how to make the changes from scratch so i can find the lines i changed.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 04:57 PM

Read the TraceFile, might tell you what it is....i can't guess.

RE: RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Read the TraceFile, might tell you what it is....i can't guess.

my trace file reads as follows

quote:

07/12/12 16:50:32| **** The trace has started ****
07/12/12 16:50:32| Skin: Beach Skin 1.00
07/12/12 16:50:32| Messenger version: 8.1.178.0 (en-us)
07/12/12 16:50:32| Messenger Plus! version: 4.50.310
07/12/12 16:50:32| Last definition file loaded: 947
07/12/12 16:50:32| Last style sheet file loaded: 947
07/12/12 16:50:32| Last picture file loaded: 20099
07/12/12 16:50:32| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 290
07/12/12 16:50:32| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
07/12/12 16:50:34| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 290
07/12/12 16:50:34| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
07/12/12 16:50:44| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 290
07/12/12 16:50:44| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
07/12/12 16:50:44| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 290
07/12/12 16:50:44| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
07/12/12 16:50:45| **** The trace has ended ****

no offence but that doesnt tell me anything.

EDOT:

i redid the 947 styles file cause i know exactly what i did with that file but the 947 definitions file will always have to stay as the consolidated version as i will never ever be able to figure out what the hell i did in that one.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 05:20 PM

quote:
it even picks up on the changes in layout that their is between the 2 versions and therefore its not just going to show the elements i changed
To only find the changes you made compare original 8.1 fill with your modified one. When comparing the modified 8.1 file with the original 8.5 one you only need to take notice of what's in the 8.1 that isn't in the 8.5 (leave what's in the 8.5 and not in the 8.1 because those are the differences between the two versions, it's needed to work).

That SkinTrace looks the same to me as before, make sure you use the correct definition and style files for 8.5.

To understand the SkinTrace a bit better read Skins Essentials - The Trace File.
quote:
the 947 definitions file will always have to stay as the consolidated version as i will never ever be able to figure out what the hell i did in that one
Compare the original consolidated from 8.1 with your modified consolidated of 8.1. Editing the msgres (Windows) version is exactly the same as the consolidated ones (replace the consolidated version with the msgres one for 8.1 first, and make sure all works as should in 8.1, this makes it easier to edit the msgres for 8.5).
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 05:56 PM

i know what i have done wrong now but do not know how to fix it, there are some minor differences between the 947 style files for 8.1 and 8.5 i just used a copy of the same file in both folders not realising what problems i would cause, in 8.5 the windows live messenger text at the top of the login frame is comprised of 2 images the image saying windows live is id 701 and the word messenger is id 703 these are referenced in my change background res group if i move these to my 8.5 resgroup thatll fix it to a point, however in 8.1 that logo is a single image in the style file for 8.1 its simply referenced as rcimg=628 what i need to no is how to define the image in my skininfo file.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 06:14 PM

To fix it you really need to use the definition/style files from 8.5 resources, not a copy of an 8.1 file (as you saw now).

As for that image, if it is still usable in 8.5:
- put the references to it in the 8.1 ResGroup and copy it to the ResGroup for 8.5 also
- in the 8.5 ResGroup change the ID to the correct one for 8.5
If not usable in 8.5:
- put the references to it in the 8.1 ResGroup
- make new image for 8.5 and reference that one in the 8.5 ResGroup

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 06:25 PM

no the 628 images i found its reference in the 8.1 style files so it belongs in the 8.1 resgroup the problem i have is does it belong in

<new>
<pictures>

or in

<replaces>
<pictures>

secondly i dont know what the picture id is supposed to be

once i have the answers to those questions i will easily be able to fix this and ensure compatability for both 8.1 & 8.5

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-12-2007 at 10:46 PM

quote:
no the 628 images i found its reference in the 8.1 style files so it belongs in the 8.1 resgroup the problem i have is does it belong in

<new>
<pictures>

or in

<replaces>
<pictures>

It belongs in where ever it was in the 8.1 skin (I don't see any reference to the 628 in your SkinInfo :s)

Remember this:
New is for when you add new resources (colors/pictures) to messenger
Replace is for when you replace an existing resource with another

quote:
secondly i dont know what the picture id is supposed to be
If it is a new resource/picture you need to assign an ID between 59000 and 59999

Example
code:
<New>
    <Pictures>
        <Picture Id="59000">
           <File>buddy.png</File>
            <Metadata>
              <Colorize>true</Colorize>
            </Metadata>
        </Picture>
     </Pictures>
</New>
If it replaces an existing resource the ID is the ID of the picture you are replacing

Example
code:
<Replace>
    <Graphics>
           <Picture Id="20066">
                <File>logo.png</File>
           </Picture>
    </Graphics>
</Replace>
quote:
once i have the answers to those questions i will easily be able to fix this and ensure compatability for both 8.1 & 8.5
Don't forget to use the Definitions/Styles from the 8.5 Resource folder for 8.5 compatibility, not a copy of the 8.1 ones that you modify.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-13-2007 at 06:07 AM

you seem to have missed something from the start, this skin was built on top of the test skin outlined in the skinning documentation it started out with 8.5 compatibility im trying to add 8.1 compatibility

in 8.5 i had to declare the images as new as i was using 59001, 59002 and 59003 as there ids

where i come unstuck in 8.1 is with the following bit of code

quote:
           <Picture Id="">
                <File>682.png</File>
           </Picture>

what id do i use to declare the picture as that in turn tells me where to put it, theoretically as i dont know the id its not going to be defined as a 59xxx number so im assuming as it will refer to an existing id it will go into <replace> however i dont know the existing id to look for however the below is a section of the 8.1 picture map.

quote:
663:   919
664:   921
682:   923, 947
961:   920
962:   920
963:   920

when it refers to picture 628 it says its from windows 923 and 947 so would i be correct in assuming the id i need to set for this picture is 947?

quote:
           <Picture Id="947">
                <File>682.png</File>
           </Picture>

EDIT:

i've attempted the changes below is my 8.1 resgroup which the schema wont valid can you please point out my mistakes please?

quote:

<ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                </MsgVersions>
            </Restrictions>
            <Resources>
                <New>
                <Pictures>
                    <Picture Id="59003">
                            <Metadata>
                            <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
                            <UMTop>1</UMTop>
                            <UMRight>1</UMRight>
                            <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
                             </Metadata>
                    </Picture>
                </Pictures>
                </New>
                <Replace>
                <Graphics><Pictures>
                    <Picture Id="947">
                        <File>682.png</File>
                    </Picture>
                </Pictures></Graphics>
                    <Windows>
                    <Definitions>
                            <Definition Id="1001">
                                <File>8.1\1001 Definitions.txt</File>
                            </Definition>
                            <Definition Id="947">
                                <File>8.1\947 Definitions.txt</File>
                           </Definition>
                        </Definitions>
                        <Styles>
                        <Style Id="947">
                           <File>8.1\947 Styles.txt</File>
                        </Style>
                        </Styles>
                    </Windows>
                </Replace>
            </Resources>
        </ResGroup>

i have to go to work now so im going to save the skininfo file in this flawed state. as soon as i know what i did wrong ill go back and try to fix it. i have switched to no skins for the time being so atleast this flawed skininfo file will not prevent me from signing into messenger.
RE: RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-13-2007 at 11:21 AM

quote:
you seem to have missed something from the start, this skin was built on top of the test skin outlined in the skinning documentation
Please start by taking out remains of the test skin you do not wish to use in your skin.
quote:
it started out with 8.5 compatibility im trying to add 8.1 compatibility
Sorry i missed that, usually one updates instead of downgrades (older versions are most likely to dissappear or used less). The principle is the same tho.
quote:
in 8.5 i had to declare the images as new as i was using 59001, 59002 and 59003 as there ids

where i come unstuck in 8.1 is with the following bit of code

quote:
           <Picture Id="">
                <File>682.png</File>
           </Picture>

what id do i use to declare the picture as that in turn tells me where to put it, theoretically as i dont know the id its not going to be defined as a 59xxx number so im assuming as it will refer to an existing id it will go into <replace> however i dont know the existing id to look for however the below is a section of the 8.1 picture map.

quote:
663:   919
664:   921
682:   923, 947
961:   920
962:   920
963:   920

when it refers to picture 628 it says its from windows 923 and 947 so would i be correct in assuming the id i need to set for this picture is 947?

quote:
           <Picture Id="947">
                <File>682.png</File>
           </Picture>

The picture map tells you that the picture with ID 682 is used in window 923 (main/contactlist) and 947 (logon).
So you'd put it in as follows:
code:
         <Picture Id="682">
                <File>name of the picture you replace it with.png</File>
           </Picture>
quote:
EDIT:

i've attempted the changes below is my 8.1 resgroup which the schema wont valid can you please point out my mistakes please?

quote:
<ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                </MsgVersions>
</Restrictions>
<Resources>
    <New>
    <Pictures>
<Picture Id="59003">
<Metadata>
                            <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
                            <UMTop>1</UMTop>
                            <UMRight>1</UMRight>
                            <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
                             </Metadata>
</Picture>
</Pictures>
    </New>
<Replace>
<Graphics><Pictures>
<Picture Id="947">
<File>682.png</File>
</Picture>
</Pictures></Graphics>
<Windows>
<Definitions>
                            <Definition Id="1001">
                            </Definition>
                            <Definition Id="947">
       </Definition>
                        </Definitions>
                        <Styles>
<Style Id="947">
    </Style>
</Styles>
</Windows>
</Replace>
</Resources>
</ResGroup>

Correction:
code:

<ResGroup>
    <Restrictions>
      <MsgVersions>
      </MsgVersions>
    </Restrictions>
  <Resources>
      <New>
        <Pictures>
          <Picture Id="59003">
             <Metadata>
               <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
               <UMTop>1</UMTop>
               <UMRight>1</UMRight>
               <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
             </Metadata>
          </Picture>
        </Pictures>
      </New>
    <Replace>
      <Windows>
           <Definitions>
              <Definition Id="1001">
              </Definition>
              <Definition Id="947">
               </Definition>
           </Definitions>
           <Styles>
              <Style Id="947">
              </Style>
           </Styles>
      </Windows>
      <Graphics>
         <Pictures>
           <Picture Id="682">
             <File>name of file you are replacing it with.png</File>
           </Picture>
         </Pictures>
      </Graphics>
    </Replace>
  </Resources>
</ResGroup>
- Switched Windows and Graphics. Correct sequence of Replace is: Strings, Colors, Windows, Graphics, StandardUI (it won't validate if you use a different sequence)
- Fixed Picture ID (682, fill in name of replacing image yourself)
quote:
i have to go to work now so im going to save the skininfo file in this flawed state. as soon as i know what i did wrong ill go back and try to fix it. i have switched to no skins for the time being so atleast this flawed skininfo file will not prevent me from signing into messenger.
If you use the Definitions/Styles for 8.1 then 8.1 should sign in just fine.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-13-2007 at 06:11 PM

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you seem to have missed something from the start, this skin was built on top of the test skin outlined in the skinning documentation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please start by taking out remains of the test skin you do not wish to use in your skin.

ok i do understand this and would love to, however although i know what i dont want in the skin im not sure what blocks of code to remove to take it out safely.

in the test skin you have skin options panel, i may decide to add skin options for my skin although i dont know quite what those will be right now but i dont want the options that have been provided, also i dont want to change the remember me text at all but according to what patchou says in the skinning docs if i dont change the remember me text none of the skinning i have done for the login screen will be used by the skin atleast thats my understanding of what he said i could be wrong though.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-13-2007 at 06:38 PM

Knowing what to take out isn't so hard, everything related to what you don't want can be taken out. The test skin in the documentation is what it says: a test skin, you can use it as a base to work on but foremost it is ment to teach/show you how to do all these things to create a skin.

If you don't understand what does what i suggest you go read the documentation again and try to understand what's done too instead of just copying.

If all you do in your skin is replace resources/images then you don't need any Definition/Stylesheet at all. And you don't need to make a Custom Option panel unless you need/want stuff inthere the default Option Panel doesn't provide (like a link to your website).

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-13-2007 at 06:57 PM

ok sunshine . tested my skin in 8.1 and it works, well it dont give me errors any more atleast but i still need help to fine tune things, in 8.1 my background on login screen is blue at the top and gradients to a pastelly yellow at the bottom, in 8.1 the top is the same but the bottom only shows as far down as the greenyblue it wont go all the way down to the yellow yet im using the umbottom etc (all four of them) so how do i fix that to make it look the same as in 8.5?

i will now attempt to take out the options panel and the rememberme text stuff and ill be right back here if i break something.

RE: RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-13-2007 at 11:18 PM

quote:
ok sunshine . tested my skin in 8.1 and it works, well it dont give me errors any more atleast but i still need help to fine tune things, in 8.1 my background on login screen is blue at the top and gradients to a pastelly yellow at the bottom, in 8.1 the top is the same but the bottom only shows as far down as the greenyblue it wont go all the way down to the yellow yet im using the umbottom etc (all four of them) so how do i fix that to make it look the same as in 8.5?
Try without Metadata, i don't think it needs it (goes for both, 8.5 and 8.1 skin).
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-14-2007 at 05:54 AM

quote:
quote:
Try without Metadata, i don't think it needs it (goes for both, 8.5 and 8.1 skin).

i tried without the meta data in 8.5 earlier in the week and i get the effect im getting in 8.1 however maybe as 8.1 is slightly different it might be worth a try in the 8.1 block

EDIT:

ok i tried removing 8.1 meta data and it had no effect, i even increased the meta data to maximum everything as 255 and no effect, i then realised something in 8.5 my background uses the whole of the login window and once signed in the 8.5 dashboards sits on top of hit essentially hiding the top half of my background now that i can live with for now but i will customize the dashboard later on in the skins developement.

in 8.1 however so much of the login window is set aside for the dashboard and the dashboards image is always there regardless of whether your signed in or not, i only noticed it cause the dashboard in 8.1 has a patterned effect on it and my background doesnt.

my question therefore seems to be how do i stop messenger from using the dashboard image so mine can go to full screen?
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Sunshine on 12-14-2007 at 05:19 PM

Don't remove anything. The best you can do is replace the image that's bothering with a modified one (apply the background to it)...

Can't help you on 8.1 specific issues as i haven't attempted to make a skin for 8.1 (nor do i plan to).

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 12-14-2007 at 06:58 PM

well im not going to do anytthing then the 8.1 users will just have to suffer in that they wont see the full effect.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by Basilis on 01-03-2008 at 04:15 PM

you could just try to make it for 8.5 and let us enjoy i!

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 01-03-2008 at 06:59 PM

at present my skin is only for 8.5 making compatability for other versions takes far to long at present to be feasable.

RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by vaccination on 01-03-2008 at 07:09 PM

quote:
at present my skin is only for 8.5 making compatability for other versions takes far to long at present to be feasable.
How?

It's just the same amount of time as making a skin for 8.5 from scratch for the first time. Probably even shorter, as all you really have to do is create a new resgroup and then work out what ids have changed, add the new files in, under a different folder for ease and then fix any graphical hitches. It's hardly unfeasible.
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by stuartbennett on 01-03-2008 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
How?

It's just the same amount of time as making a skin for 8.5 from scratch for the first time. Probably even shorter, as all you really have to do is create a new resgroup and then work out what ids have changed, add the new files in, under a different folder for ease and then fix any graphical hitches. It's hardly unfeasible.

if it was a single themed skin then i would agree with you, however creating a seperate copy of each themes resgroup for each version of messenger you plan to support at present my skin has 7 themes for me to make compatable for 9.0 i have to duplicate each resgroup meaning a total of 14 resgroups once i get to my target of 13 themes thatll be 26 resgroups, all the work i have done thus far has taken nearly 5 weeks so going by your analysis itll take a further 5 weeks to add compatability for another version of messenger, yes its not impossible but i will probably wait until all the themes are built and perfected and released to the database before i start coding in compatability for addition versions of messenger.

hopefully by then 9.0 will be released properly (non beta)
RE: [How To] - Update Your Skin by vaccination on 01-04-2008 at 09:30 PM

Exactly, so it's not unfeasible.