Shoutbox

New members. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: New members. (/showthread.php?tid=79702)

New members. by Pyro on 12-07-2007 at 04:16 AM

now i get flamed alot and so im not flaming anyone. but is anyone getting annoyed that the forums for msgplus are being filled up with new members that ask a question and only %10 of them stay here?

please vote or reply..

RE: New members. by tony on 12-07-2007 at 04:20 AM

WTF

RE: New members. by NanaFreak on 12-07-2007 at 04:21 AM

wtf...

RE: New members. by Voldemort on 12-07-2007 at 04:21 AM

Dude, it's a help forum, not some random general forum and that will provoke even more spam to get their questions answered.

RE: New members. by MicroWay on 12-07-2007 at 04:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
wtf...
I didn't understand what is the point here... :S

RE: New members. by Voldemort on 12-07-2007 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
I didn't understand what is the point here...
he wants people that come for help to stay...
RE: New members. by Discrate on 12-07-2007 at 04:29 AM

If people want to stay after they got help then thats there choice......

You make threads like this and you wonder why you get flamed.

RE: New members. by NiteMare on 12-07-2007 at 04:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyro
now i get flamed alot and so im not flaming anyone. but is anyone getting annoyed that the forums for msgplus are being filled up with new members that ask a question and only %10 of them stay here?

please vote or reply..
thats the most idiotic thing ever, this forum is here for the reason of giving support to those who ask, just because someone askes a question then once its finished, never comes back doesn't mean there a bad person, anyways isn't this forum active enough?
RE: New members. by MicroWay on 12-07-2007 at 04:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
wants people that come for help to stay...
Ohh... well.... Now I understand it...

Before wanting this, he has to remember that some people here have school/university/work/job and so on....
And remember that some people registered here to only ask one question... Some of the registered members are voluntiers to help here...
;)

RE: New members. by toddy on 12-07-2007 at 04:38 AM

|-)|-)

RE: New members. by Discrate on 12-07-2007 at 04:44 AM

5 NON SPAM posts before non msgplus! related computer questions will be answered.

I dont understand what he means? lol.

RE: New members. by MicroWay on 12-07-2007 at 04:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
5 NON SPAM posts before non msgplus! related computer questions will be answered.
I dont understand what he means? lol.
It helps if I tell you that I din't understand it either???:P heheh
:)
That's why I asked what's the point of the post... :S

RE: New members. by aNILEator on 12-07-2007 at 05:09 AM

I'm thinking a post limit before you can start your own thread?

RE: New members. by Voldemort on 12-07-2007 at 05:11 AM

What's the point? people will get annoyed and go elsewhere for help or spam until they have the appropiate number of posts.

RE: New members. by NiteMare on 12-07-2007 at 05:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
What's the point? people will get annoyed and go elsewhere for help or spam until they have the appropiate number of posts.
exactly, its not helping anyone, just hurting, they'll spam untill they can post there question, once they've done that, theres nothing stoping them from leaving just as they would with out the spam
RE: New members. by Adeptus on 12-07-2007 at 06:34 AM

Pyro is on to something, although he suggests the wrong solution.

In general, I agree that people shouldn't come to this forum for the sole purpose of asking general computer questions that have nothing to do with Messenger Plus! -- there are much better places for that, where their questions would be answered by Microsoft MVPs and experienced IT professionals.

There certainly shouldn't be a rule against helping someone if you have the solution to their problem, but we probably should direct more of the general computing questions to the right places than we have been in past.

RE: New members. by SikStyles on 12-07-2007 at 07:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Pyro is on to something, although he suggests the wrong solution.

In general, I agree that people shouldn't come to this forum for the sole purpose of asking general computer questions that have nothing to do with Messenger Plus! -- there are much better places for that, where their questions would be answered by Microsoft MVPs and experienced IT professionals.

There certainly shouldn't be a rule against helping someone if you have the solution to their problem, but we probably should direct more of the general computing questions to the right places than we have been in past.

But if you strip this forum from questions which don't relate to msgplus then we're gonna have even less members and even less who are actually going to stay. Also there will be less help needing things (yes, things!) and you all with answers are going to be bored and then evolve into some other forum. :sad:

RE: New members. by Vazza on 12-07-2007 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
Before wanting this, he has to remember that some people here have school/university/work/job and so on....
And remember that some people registered here to only ask one question... Some of the registered members are voluntiers to help here...
;)

Exactly. Even the ones who post once with one problem, may find that a little later on that they have another problem which they haven't seen addressed and so come back. As has been said, that doesn't make them a bad person. I'm signed up for a couple of boards where I've posted once or twice, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't go back...

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus

Hmm...I'd have to say that any general questions that I've had computing wise, I've always had the quickest answers here. If you look around, there is a possibility that a high percentage of members hang around the general chit chat area while a smaller percentage who know a little bit more about the workings of Plus! are frequently in the help section.

All I have to say is if people have to post 5 non-spam posts first, then how does that make us look? What's to stop them spamming afterwards? Yes people don't look and we have the same questions over and over, and while some will look and replies may well be that it 'look a x thread', each case is individual. If you start saying, '5 non-spam posts before you ask questions' then your becoming a dictatorship, and we don't want that image.

Yes there is the chat room for help, but the last time I was there, even those who were in there at the time, supposedly active, weren't doing so...And then you wonder why we get all the help posts here.... (I am not having a dig at anyone who is in the chat room and does help, but I am simply expressing what it is that I have seen on numerous occassions)

Basically I don't think this is the way to be going, if they come ask the question and then spam, fine, they can be dealt with then, not before hand (unless they spam directly after posting a question or go against the forum rules etc etc etc.)
RE: New members. by Nagamasa on 12-09-2007 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I'm thinking a post limit before you can start your own thread?
But then how do one-timers make a thread about a problem they're having?
RE: New members. by Aardvark on 12-10-2007 at 09:56 AM

They spam heaps before hand, or waste time trying to find places they can put useful input in. What I think aNILEator meant was that was his guess at what the thread title was about.

My guess is that after someone posts something, they have to make 5 other non-spam posts before somebody will come and answer their question for them. Which is completely ridiculous as far as I can see...

Anyway personally, it does seem "weird" that someone posts, you answer, and you never see them again. I guess you could compare it to meeting someone on the street having a brief conversation and never seeing them again. But it's not "annoying" as such. Anyway I like helping people, if they give you good feedback you get an ego boost :)

RE: New members. by John Anderton on 12-10-2007 at 09:59 AM

We have too many (regular) members. I say we start dropping!
Unless you don't want to listen to Darwin. Pretty sure his theory should stand for the internet (though quite sadly it doesn't always) as it does for the species on this planet :)

* John Anderton runs :P