Shoutbox

[How-To] Change Contact List Background - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [How-To] Change Contact List Background (/showthread.php?tid=79783)

[How-To] Change Contact List Background by vikke on 12-09-2007 at 07:48 AM

Your skin would be pretty dull if your contact list had white background, so I'm going to show you how to change the background to a background-image.

Start off by extracting Messenger's resources. If you already have, don't bother doing this again.
We need to edit a definition/style file in order to apply new styles, as the background-image isn't supported by default. So copy the 1001-definition  into your skins folder (msgres_4004_1001.txt) from your extraction folder.

Open it up in a text editor of choice, and do a search for "<BuddyList" you will hopefully come up with this line:

code:
<BuddyList id=atom(abView) Layout=FillLayout() CmdGroup=guid("{16E32D35-5350-4805-B7F0-5E782510AF6F}")/>

Then add the background property to the buddy list-tag like this. rcbkd tells Messenger to load the background from resources with the ID 59000.
code:
<BuddyList id=atom(abView) Layout=FillLayout() CmdGroup=guid("{16E32D35-5350-4805-B7F0-5E782510AF6F}") background=rcbkd(59000)/>
59000 is our ID for the background image we're going to add as a resource (remember this has to be over 59000). So now open your SkinInfo file in text editor of choice, and add something like this under the <Resource>-tab:
code:
                <New>
                    <Pictures>
                        <Picture Id="59000">
                            <File>background.png</File>
                            <Metadata>
                                <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
                                <UMRight>1</UMRight>
                                <UMTop>1</UMTop>
                                <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
<Colorize>true</Colorize>
                            </Metadata>
                        </Picture>
                    </Pictures>
                </New>

Edit: You will also need to replace 1001-definition with your 1001 file. Example:
code:
<Replace><Windows><Definitions><Definition Id="10001"><File>1001.txt</file></Definition></Definitions></Windows></Replace>

There you go. Thanks for reading.
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 12-09-2007 at 06:21 PM

i tried this but it didnt work.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by djdannyp on 12-09-2007 at 06:49 PM

Could you add to the tutorial the way to do it to add a cut-out, non-repeating image as the background

at the moment i can only get it to replace the contact list, not appear behind the contact list

using your first method works, but provides the same problem i had on the logon screen when using transparent backgrounded pngs

i've tried similar work-arounds but can't find the appropriate position to put the code in.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 12-09-2007 at 08:09 PM

i went through the skininfo file for nightfall and found one more block of code needed to make this work the code is

quote:
           <Replace>
              <Windows>
                 <Definitions>
                 <Definition Id="947">                <File>BlueGradientdef.txt</File>
    </Definition>
    <Definition Id="1001">
                 <File>1001.txt</File>
                 </Definition>
    </Definitions>
                 <Styles>
                    <Style Id="947">
                        <File>BlueGradient.txt</File>
                    </Style>
                </Styles>
                </Windows>

as you can see you have to deefine a window section in the reeplace section of the resources section and declare the definition file of 1001.txt so it knows to reference the data in that file without it it cannot know to refer to 59000 as the id of the background.

i hope this helps.

EDIT:

you know patchou was right this skinning thing is like really easy, i found scripting really hard to do, essentially both technologies need an understanding of xml, in both cases i started out not knowing anything about xml, i started reading the skinning documentation about 9am GMT its now 8:13 pm GMT and in that time not only have i made serious headway on what promises to be a really nice and pretty advanced skin but ive learnt in that time so much through trial and error by working on that skin that im now even able to write tutorials on how to do things well finish another users tutorial is more like it and help others solve there problems with skinning, so all in all im really proud of what ive acheived and im proud of patchou for making this new technology so easy to use.
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Nagamasa on 12-10-2007 at 01:03 AM

Can someone explain this in basic terminology? I'm too newb to understand :(

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by davidpolitis on 12-10-2007 at 01:39 AM

Basically, you need to create a new picture and give it an ID. That ID then may be used in the UIFile.

1. Create a new skins directory under your Plus! skins directory. Name it whatever you want.

2. Make a new file named SkinInfo.xml under the skin's directory and save the code below in it.

code:
<SkinInfo>
  <Information>
    <Name>Skin Name</Name>
  </Information>
  <MessengerSkin>
    <ResGroup>
      <Restrictions>
        <MsgVersions>
          <Version Major="8" Minor="5"/>
        </MsgVersions>
      </Restrictions>
      <Resources>
        <New>
          <Pictures>
            <Picture Id="59000">
              <File>yourimage.png</File>
              <Metadata>
                <UMLeft>1</UMLeft>
                <UMRight>1</UMRight>
                <UMTop>1</UMTop>
                <UMBottom>1</UMBottom>
                <Colorize>true</Colorize>
              </Metadata>
            </Picture>
          </Pictures>
        </New>
        <Replace>
          <Windows>
            <Definitions>
              <Definition Id="1001">
                <File>msgres_4004_1001.txt</File>
              </Definition>
            </Definitions>
          </Windows>
        </Replace>
      </Resources>
    </ResGroup>
  </MessengerSkin>
</SkinInfo>

2. Move yourimage.png to the skin's directory.

3. Extract Messenger's resources. Copy the 1001-definition (msgres_4004_1001.txt) from your extraction folder into the skin's directory. Note, I have attached the WLM 8.5 msgres_4004_1001.txt for those of you having trouble finding it.

4. Search in msgres_4001_1001.txt for the code below (line 54 in WLM 8.5):
code:
<BuddyList id=atom(abView) Layout=FillLayout() CmdGroup=guid("{16E32D35-5350-4805-B7F0-5E782510AF6F}")/>

5. Once found, replace with the new code below and save.
code:
<BuddyList id=atom(abView) Layout=FillLayout() CmdGroup=guid("{16E32D35-5350-4805-B7F0-5E782510AF6F}") background=rcbkd(59000)/>

6. Have fun. The End :P

Add me to your contact list if you're having trouble or PM me.
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
...the way to do it to add a cut-out, non-repeating image as the background...
Instead of rcbkd use rcimg, rest is same.
RE: RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by djdannyp on 12-11-2007 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
...the way to do it to add a cut-out, non-repeating image as the background...
Instead of rcbkd use rcimg, rest is same.

that doesn't work

it removes the contact list and just puts the image there
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 03:26 PM

I have no idea how you manage to make it do that, it works fine here (following the steps exactly). Maybe you can post your code (1001 and Skin Info relevant parts)?

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by djdannyp on 12-11-2007 at 04:06 PM

the 59000 image is the one i use on my login screen too, so it's not a problem with that one

code:
<Definition Id="1001">
<File>1001 Definition.txt</File>
</Definition>

code:
<BuddyList id=atom(abView) Layout=FillLayout() CmdGroup=guid("{16E32D35-5350-4805-B7F0-5E782510AF6F}") background=rcimg(59000)/>

literally that's all i've done, just the change exactly as specificed
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 04:51 PM

Does it work on your login screen? Do you have any metadata set for the image?

Some advice: don't put spaces in filenames, use an underscore(_) instead.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by aNILEator on 12-11-2007 at 05:21 PM

what has spaces in filenames got to do with anything sunny?

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by djdannyp on 12-11-2007 at 05:24 PM

yeah, it works absolutely fine on my login screen, just sits nicely behind all the other elements on the screen......i don't have any metadata set at all, just the picture as is

also as for the spaces in filenames, this doesn't seem to cause any problem in XML, especially as they're in quotation marks anyway.....if it caused a problem I would change it

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
what has spaces in filenames got to do with anything sunny?
Just some basic thing i tend to follow...both for web and this sort of coding (incase a space doesn't get read right). It's just advice anyway.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by duck! on 12-11-2007 at 09:45 PM

Nice tutorial, helped me alot creating my first skin :cheesy:

ps. Also, i want to make a option to have the background or not..

RE: RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by davidpolitis on 12-12-2007 at 01:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
Also, i want to make a option to have the background or not..
Read the Skin Docs. :|
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Keikonium on 12-12-2007 at 06:41 AM

Is it possible to make the contact list have a transparent background?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured it out after A LOTTTT of trial and error replacing strings and such. Finally I found out you need to:

1001 Style
Element[ID=Atom(ai558)]
Change to "Background:argb(128,255,255,255);" for a transparent white background ^_^.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by duck! on 12-12-2007 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
quote:
Also, i want to make a option to have the background or not..
Read the Skin Docs. :|
the only does it for the sign in window :dodgy:
i want to make an option for the contact list =/
RE: RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by davidpolitis on 12-12-2007 at 07:58 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis

the only does it for the sign in window :dodgy:
i want to make an option for the contact list =/
I meant for you to read the skin docs for adding options. Anyway, add me on messenger if you need help :P

RE: RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by m4rt1n4 on 01-08-2008 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Can someone explain this in basic terminology? I'm too newb to understand :(

thank u just what i was thinkin lol
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by m4rt1n4 on 01-09-2008 at 02:02 AM

can someone help me with this please?
tearsare.unspokenwords@hotmail.com

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 01-09-2008 at 05:53 AM

m4rt1n4 what exactly is the problem your having and ill try to help.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by m4rt1n4 on 01-09-2008 at 01:02 PM

so my problem is i have nooo idea how to do it... :P
can u tell me the "for dummies" version? :D

RE: RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by djdannyp on 01-09-2008 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by m4rt1n4
so my problem is i have nooo idea how to do it... :P
can u tell me the "for dummies" version? :D

sorry, but skinning isn't "for dummies".....there is no easy way of doing it.

Read through the skinning documentation (found on the skins tab of the customize section of messenger plus preferences) and try going from there.  If you don't understand it, then sadly there's not much we can do
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by m4rt1n4 on 01-09-2008 at 03:58 PM

that wasnt too friendly thx anyways

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by freak544 on 01-09-2008 at 04:16 PM

Most people here are new to skinning like you and its best to read through the skinning documentation and look through the how to's to try and make your first skin if you do need help just ask and people will help you where possible

Oh once you have read the skinning documentatio n you may want to have a look at willz guide he is writing

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by vikke on 01-09-2008 at 05:17 PM

What he's trying to say is that if you're new to computer development and techniques skinning is very advanced. And you don't really learn by having an example you don't understand, so start asking questions. ;)
But I agree with you, this tutorial is pretty bad written, I'm sorry. It requires basic knowledge about skinning. Take my advice, read the documentation and start off with a more simple example. There's a dummies-proof chapter in the documentation on My First Skin. :)

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 01-09-2008 at 07:15 PM

m4rt1n4, i have added you to my contact list on messenger, i am lylatwars19 [at] hotmail [dot] com, as stated above we cannot write one of those "xxxxxxx for dummies" books on skinning its too vast and some things are just so complex that you cant really dumb them down easily.

however if your having trouble doing something specific then we can of course try to guide you through it, now then our conversation on messenger you said you wanted to change the background image in your skin, now im answering on here as its easier to control the layout on here than on msn.

in your skininfo file you need it to look roughly like this.

quote:
<SkinInfo xmlns="urn:msgplus:skins"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="urn:msgplus:skins PlusSkins.xsd">
    <Information>
        <Name>test Skin</Name>
        <Description> A skin that has themes for all of your favourite TV Shows that you would put on your Sky+ Planner.</Description>
        <Version>1.00</Version>
        <Compatibility>
            <MsgVersion Major="8" Minor="5"/>
        </Compatibility>
        <TraceFile>true</TraceFile>
    </Information>

<ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                    <Version Major="8" Minor="5"/>
                </MsgVersions>
            </Restrictions>
            <Resources>           
                <Replace>
                    <Graphics>
                        <Pictures>
                            <Picture Id="20061">
                                <File>Atlantis\Atlantis.png</File>
                                <Metadata>
                                    <UMLeft>5</UMLeft>
                                    <UMTop>5</UMTop>
                                    <UMRight>5</UMRight>
                                    <UMBottom>5</UMBottom>
                                </Metadata>
                            </Picture>
                        </Pictures>
                    </Graphics>
                </Replace>
            </Resources>
        </ResGroup>

</MessengerSkin>
</SkinInfo>

that code gives you a basic skin which all it test is change every background in messenger to the picture Atlantis.png, all you need to do is compare the above code to your own and see which bits you dont have yet and add them in, for your skin itll be the bits between <Replace> & </Replace> from the above example.

if you get stuck let me know and ill try to help.
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 01-31-2008 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by keikonium
Is it possible to make the contact list have a transparent background?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured it out after A LOTTTT of trial and error replacing strings and such. Finally I found out you need to:

1001 Style
Element[ID=Atom(ai558)]
Change to "Background:argb(128,255,255,255);" for a transparent white background ^_^.

I did that and all I got was a white background. I changed 255 to 120 and it turned gray. So what you mentioned just changes the color. Anyone know how to make it transparent?
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Spunky on 01-31-2008 at 05:20 PM

Probs can't do transparent, hence the grey (adds black behind the white)

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 01-31-2008 at 05:25 PM

It is sure that it can be transparent. Blessedguy has it on his Aurora live Messenger skin

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 01-31-2008 at 06:43 PM

check how he did is basilis, you see it could be a deception, lets say he cuts out a bit of his background thats supposed to cross the point where word wheel is normally located, then then sets background to use that image as opposed to a rgb value and viola you fake a transparency.

i am not saying thats how he did it but its a possible work around that might have been used.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by vaccination on 01-31-2008 at 06:59 PM

argb = alpha, rgb

If you set the alpha to 0 you get complete transparency, if you set it to the highest(of which i can't remember the exact number) it will be completely opaque(not transparent)

therefore you need:

code:
Background:argb(0,255,255,255);

EDIT: What you did was change one of the colour values, which of course would of changed the colour, not the alpha.
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 01-31-2008 at 08:10 PM

Thanks for that, but do you know exactly which element I have to edit in order t o have a transparent background in my contact list?

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 02-01-2008 at 06:04 AM

ok basilis where your going wrong is your using 1001 the actual contact list is in 1004 and 1009 style files for making that transparent, based on your earlier post i thought you were attempting word wheel transparency.

and heres the block your looking for

quote:
Element[id=atom(listitem)] // this element has been added in
{
    Background:argb(0,0,0,0); // added in
    Foreground:rgb(255,255,255); // 0,0,0
}

lines 29 -33 of your 1004 and 1009 style files. enjoy.
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 02-01-2008 at 02:55 PM

Thanks for trying to help but that didn't work either. This transparent background drives me crazy. :(

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by vikke on 02-01-2008 at 02:58 PM

It's actually one of the easiest things in Skinning. It's like anything else. It's only about adding another style-attribute.

In the 1001 and 1004 definition change this line:

code:
To:
code:
<BuddyList id=atom(abView) Layout=FillLayout() CmdGroup=guid("{16E32D35-5350-4805-B7F0-5E782510AF6F}") background=argb(0, 0, 0, 0)/>

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 02-01-2008 at 03:20 PM

Fortunately I found it. Y ou have to make the background that way
argb(0,255,255,255) below the abLayout in the 1001style .I have been told that but I realized that the picture I was using was just a color so the change was not big. I tried to put a theme image and it worked. Thank you all for your help. Finally, this headache got out of my head.
:)

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by vikke on 02-01-2008 at 03:40 PM

I'm glad you sorted it out.

800th post!

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by dexluther on 02-05-2008 at 03:05 AM

Wouldn't simply putting/creating a "lvback.gif" file in WLM's folder be much simpler?

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by vikke on 02-05-2008 at 02:37 PM

No, because giving that advice to every skin user is much more complicated that doing this (since it's automatically replaced my Messenger Plus! upon installation). Also you can give this picture meta-data, so it'll be stretch-able etc. :)

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Soardra on 03-02-2008 at 04:49 AM

Ok, there's so many opinions here that I've gotten kind of lost. I want to make the background of my contacts slightly transparent. I know the alpha code I want, but I just can't figure out where to put it.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 03-02-2008 at 12:14 PM

Open up the 1001 style file and find the element ai558 at the end of it. Change it background from rcbkd(6); to argb(125,255,255,255) and you will have the result you want.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Soardra on 03-02-2008 at 05:05 PM

Is it just that change? It won't work for me for some reason D: Even if I put it to (0,255,255,255) it won't go completely transparent. Also, I have a really busy background on the main skin on all the toasts and sign on window...Does that not go to the contacts table? I was sure it did because when I tried some things it wouldn't show the contact table and would instead show my background.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Basilis on 03-02-2008 at 05:15 PM

change it to (0,0,0,0)

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Soardra on 03-02-2008 at 05:20 PM

I just tried that, nothing changed in the contact window. I'm wondering if something is interfering with it...do you have something changed in the definition file as well?

EDIT: Nvm..I don't know what I was doing wrong the other times, but now it works O.o

EDIT: Or I thought it did o.o now I can't get the contacts window to show up...ok, when it's rcbkg it works, but when I change it to argb it disappears...

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by blessedguy on 03-09-2008 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Soardra
I just tried that, nothing changed in the contact window. I'm wondering if something is interfering with it...do you have something changed in the definition file as well?

EDIT: Nvm..I don't know what I was doing wrong the other times, but now it works O.o

EDIT: Or I thought it did o.o now I can't get the contacts window to show up...ok, when it's rcbkg it works, but when I change it to argb it disappears...
ok...I've been tring to bring my contact list back to white as an option...and i figured out how to do that.
Even though with ai550 and ai558 with rgb(255,255,255), it wasn't turning to white, then, i tried changing ai559, it is now working pretty fine...
(change ai550, 558 and 559 to the same color you want, i think it will work, to be transparent, alpha from 0(transparent)-255(opaque))

Does anybody know how to change the selected groupd colour?

[img=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/614/imgwp0.th.jpg]

here is a pic to explain better
RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by stuartbennett on 03-09-2008 at 06:21 PM

blessedguy, what you mewan is when you have your curser selected on a group or a contact and it has the blue highlighter bar with black text right? jason is the one who cracked that in our skin on the dark style files, if you go into my 365 skin and open up 923 Styles Dark and look for any blocks where colour is being set to (0,0,0) as that will refer to the bar in question, al our text in that specific file we made white to show up against the dark backgrounds.

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by blessedguy on 03-09-2008 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
blessedguy, what you mewan is when you have your curser selected on a group or a contact and it has the blue highlighter bar with black text right? jason is the one who cracked that in our skin on the dark style files, if you go into my 365 skin and open up 923 Styles Dark and look for any blocks where colour is being set to (0,0,0) as that will refer to the bar in question, al our text in that specific file we made white to show up against the dark backgrounds.

kk...i'll take a look at that!

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by ResourcE on 04-01-2008 at 05:50 PM

Hey,Thanks to all about that help for making the background transparent ... but ... it's not working . Here is what i wrote :

Background:argb(120,13,97,200);

Please help me,it's very important :)

RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by Nagamasa on 04-01-2008 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ResourcE
Hey,Thanks to all about that help for making the background transparent ... but ... it's not working . Here is what i wrote :

If you've jacked the code from Vista Beta 5112, then you already have a transparent background...

Where did you put that code?
RE: RE: [How-To] Change Contact List Background by ResourcE on 04-01-2008 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
quote:
Originally posted by ResourcE

If you've jacked the code from Vista Beta 5112, then you already have a transparent background...

Where did you put that code?

Hey man,I didn't "Jack" the code,i just replaced your photos with mine,and i wanna do it with no "Jacking" as you say,and i said to you,i will give you credit in the next update and i will write you as an AUTHOR !! :) Of course that is in Counter Strike Skin where i didn't read any of the Skin Guide or what is XML :S

But my new skin,is totally mine,of course i will give credits to some for heir help ;)