Shoutbox

Please, no [request] threads - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Please, no [request] threads (/showthread.php?tid=79821)

Please, no [request] threads by Patchou on 12-09-2007 at 06:09 PM

Hey everybody,

I know many of you are execited to see one thing or another being added in askin but for now, please refrain from creating any [Request] thread. This subforum is probably going to rapidely become overcrowded and it will complicate thigns if half of the posts are jsut people asking others to create a skin for them.

So let's say we create one request thread and post everything in it (mods: please merge separate threads when you see some, thank you :)).

RE: Please, no [request] threads by Jimbo on 12-09-2007 at 06:21 PM

Or have another subforum in here for requests?

RE: Please, no [request] threads by tony on 12-09-2007 at 06:23 PM

That will be the same thing.

RE: Please, no [request] threads by Jimbo on 12-09-2007 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
But we could just have a subsection for requests, and all releases posted in this bit, so it keeps this bit just to releases
RE: Please, no [request] threads by Patchou on 12-09-2007 at 06:31 PM

a sub-forum would be good too

RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by djdannyp on 12-09-2007 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
quote:
Originally posted by tony
But we could just have a subsection for requests, and all releases posted in this bit, so it keeps this bit just to releases

you'd then also need a sub-forum for bug reports and questions, etc.

This bit of forum shouldn't technically be any different from the scripting one (which has it all in one)

So I say either they both change, or they both remain the same
RE: Please, no [request] threads by CookieRevised on 12-09-2007 at 06:44 PM

A requests subforum is nice since we then can discuss requests (as they are already discussed now). Putting all requests in one thread will result in duplicated requests and a messy discussion...

Updates, bugs, etc can perfectly be posted in the [release] threads of the individual skins. No need for another subforum for that.

Once a skin has been made upon request, the skin developer can easly post a small post with link in the [request] thread pointing to the [release] thread and be done with it.
From that time on bugs and general discussion about the skin can be continued in the [release] thread.
Updates could/should always be posted in the first post of the [release] thread.

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
This bit of forum shouldn't technically be any different from the scripting one (which has it all in one)
And see how messy that has become.....

quote:
So I say either they both change, or they both remain the same
It was requested to do it from the start. It wasn't done, and now it is too late for the script forums. (Unless there is some VERY dedicated mod around, without a real social life, who is willing to go thru all the threads, moving them around, adjusting links, etc... :p)
RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by djdannyp on 12-09-2007 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:
And see how messy that has become.....

I don't deny that it's messy.  I just figure that consistency is better than having inconsistencies around the site.

The script one could be moderated bit by bit.  Create the new subforums and outline the new guidelines for posting in it.

Possibly even temporarily take on new moderators simply with the task of moving threads into appropriate forums.  I've got a 4 week christmas holiday coming up with nothing to do except rest and mess around on the computer so certainly wouldn't mind spending 20-30 mins each day moving some threads around
RE: Please, no [request] threads by Sunshine on 12-09-2007 at 07:12 PM

* Sunshine agrees a request subforum would be most convenient, it's not too late to get one here :)

RE: Please, no [request] threads by Matti on 12-09-2007 at 07:14 PM

Yes, I vote for the subforum! :)

RE: Please, no [request] threads by Guido on 12-09-2007 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
* Sunshine agrees subforum would be most convenient, it's not too late for this subforum to get one :)
Agreed -- and perhaps it's not that hard to start moving new request threads in Scripts to a new subforum. The archives can be moved over time.
RE: Please, no [request] threads by Patchou on 12-09-2007 at 07:40 PM

quote:
without a real social life
omg! Sam! we found something for you to do on this forum!!!
RE: Please, no [request] threads by freak544 on 12-09-2007 at 08:44 PM

I think it would be good to to have a sub-forum for requests

I also agree that the scripts forum needs to be sorted as many times I have looked on there before I became a member and it just looked messy

Well if anyone needs any help moving threads around I could help as i am an admin on a forum so know a few things about forums

If the scripts forums is not going to be sorted then it would be good to create the appropriate sub-forums in this forum (skins) before this gets too messy

RE: Please, no [request] threads by stuartbennett on 12-09-2007 at 08:53 PM

ive worked on some php forums before so i dont mind helping out with this reorginising project i got a few days of this week coming 11th and 12th of december and the 20th and 21st of december plus weekends and im of work for christmas day and boxing day so anything i can do to help please let me know.

RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by WDZ on 12-09-2007 at 09:04 PM

Well, since everyone including Patchou agrees, I'll add a Skin Requests subforum. (y)

quote:
It was requested to do it from the start. It wasn't done, and now it is too late for the script forums. (Unless there is some VERY dedicated mod around, without a real social life, who is willing to go thru all the threads, moving them around, adjusting links, etc... :p)
Adjusting links? The thread IDs will stay the same, you know... :p

I imagine most script request threads could be identified based on the subject, so moving them with my mass-move script wouldn't be too painful.
RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by davidpolitis on 12-09-2007 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
ive worked on some php forums before so i dont mind helping out with this reorginising project i got a few days of this week coming 11th and 12th of december and the 20th and 21st of december plus weekends and im of work for christmas day and boxing day so anything i can do to help please let me know.
Like they'd need help with it... :S
RE: Please, no [request] threads by stuartbennett on 12-09-2007 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
quote:
Like they'd need help with it... :S

maybe the dont, but the offer is there incase they decide they do.
RE: Please, no [request] threads by freak544 on 12-09-2007 at 09:11 PM

They might need help with the scripting forum if they decide to sort it out

:)

RE: Please, no [request] threads by stuartbennett on 12-09-2007 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by freak544
They might need help with the scripting forum if they decide to sort it out

:)

well yes exactly im sure theres something that people can help out with.
RE: Please, no [request] threads by CookieRevised on 12-09-2007 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I imagine most script request threads could be identified based on the subject, so moving them with my mass-move script wouldn't be too painful.
that's my point, I bet you can't... there are a lot of "request" threads which aren't requests per-say, or which divert into something else.... IIRC :p

I hope you can though... would make life much easier :D

PS: about the links, yeah I know, but I meant something else, dunno what :P
RE: Please, no [request] threads by Sunshine on 12-11-2007 at 02:07 PM

Bah @ spammers

I noticed the request thread(s) are getting spammed with seconded, thirded etc already...and i believe half of them do it just to spam. Maybe request threads should have a poll by default (if possible) for people to vote (yes/no) on it?

RE: Please, no [request] threads by CookieRevised on 01-01-2008 at 02:31 AM

addendum:

maybe it isn't a bad idea to also make a Releases subforum. Because there are already many [release] threads and [Preview]/[Beta] threads.

If they are moved to a Releases subforum, then it would be a bit less chaos, and the questions about skinning can be found quicker.

Because the skinning forum gets bigger and bigger, repeated threads are starting to pop up (eg: I just saw 4 threads all about shaping windows)...

RE: Please, no [request] threads by stuartbennett on 01-01-2008 at 09:37 AM

yeah i agree with you cookie last night i mustve seen atleast 2 threads about changing text colour in contact list, skinning is so popular and everyone has so many questions about it that as you say the posts keep mounting up.

RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by kezz on 01-01-2008 at 10:24 AM

Advertise Willz' Guide to Skinning!
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79906
That should solve most problems. Possibly make that thread sticky so that it is at first glance for most people looking for answers.

quote:
yeah i agree with you cookie last night i mustve seen atleast 2 threads about changing text colour in contact list, skinning is so popular and everyone has so many questions about it that as you say the posts keep mounting up.

RE: Please, no [request] threads by aNILEator on 01-01-2008 at 07:37 PM

Willz guide isn't finished and available yet, when it is I'm sure he'll have the sense to create a new thread with some nice formatting and links to each section. that will be stickied.

RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by Willz on 01-01-2008 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Willz guide isn't finished and available yet, when it is I'm sure he'll have the sense to create a new thread with some nice formatting and links to each section. that will be stickied.

Yeah thats right, that thread was just put up as a means of people giving me feedback and to let people know what I am at.

When the thing is actually complete I will make a more official thread for it. :P
RE: Please, no [request] threads by CookieRevised on 01-02-2008 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kezzinator29
Advertise Willz' Guide to Skinning!
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79906
That should solve most problems. Possibly make that thread sticky so that it is at first glance for most people looking for answers.
No, it will not solve the problems talked about in this thread.

Having guides or tuts isn't the point. The point is that many threads are created (and still will be created, eventhough there are excellent guides/tuts) which are about the same subject. The only reason for those double threads is that people can't immediatly "see" a similar thread and thus create a new one. And this is not going to be less in the future, in fact it will only increase.

If the [release] threads are moved to their own subforum, the normal [question] threads would be easier to spot.

PS: And talking about double threads. Why must there explicitly be yet another thread to anounce the completeness of Willz' skinning guide? Updating the first post in the existing thread would be just as good. If not better, since all the information would be centralised in 1 thread instead of dispersed over many. Because, and I want to bet my laptop over this, there will be updates and people will post improvements and/or suggestions, making this new thread no different than the already existing thread. If you simply add a new post to that thread, the thread would be put in front too.

It is another manner if there is just one sticky post which links to all the available tutorials (Willz', but also inlcuding others). But yet another thread about the exact same thing? Please no... The point that there is a Requests forum is to create some order in the otherwise mismatch of threads, so people can easier find what they are looking for. Creating double threads is going right against this very philosophy.
RE: RE: Please, no [request] threads by kezz on 01-02-2008 at 01:56 AM

quote:
quote:
Advertise Willz' Guide
Having guides or tuts isn't the point. The point is that many threads are created (and still will be created, eventhough there are excellent guides/tuts) which are about the same subject. The only reason for those double threads is that people can't immediatly "see" a similar thread and thus create a new one. And this is not going to be less in the future, in fact it will only increase.

These threads that are about the same subject are, more often than not, questions on how to skin, or "I have this problem, what do I do?" Splitting the '[request]' threads into a separate sub=forum was one step to cleaning up this section. Why bother cleaning up the 'double-threads-about-the-same-subject', when you can almost eliminate them by putting this guide at the very top. That is the point.

RE: Please, no [request] threads by stuartbennett on 01-02-2008 at 05:56 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Advertise Willz' Guide

These threads that are about the same subject are, more often than not, questions on how to skin, or "I have this problem, what do I do?" Splitting the '[request]' threads into a separate sub=forum was one step to cleaning up this section. Why bother cleaning up the 'double-threads-about-the-same-subject', when you can almost eliminate them by putting this guide at the very top. That is the point.

at poresent putting willz guide at the top wont change anything as he hasnt really covered that much in the extensive world of skinning as yet, maybe when he has done like 50 chapters then yeah it might acheive what your suggesting however i doubt itll ever solve the problem completely, theres always going to be things people want to know how to do and the whole reason willz was creating the guide is because he doesnt have the free time required to skin anymore so wanted to pass his knowledge on this means developement of the guide will always be slower than the developement of the skin developers who as they develope will continue to pst help threads for problems of ever increasing complexity.

just my opinion mind you but hey there you go.