Shoutbox

Can I split a .RAR file? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Can I split a .RAR file? (/showthread.php?tid=79889)

Can I split a .RAR file? by RebelSean on 12-10-2007 at 06:57 PM

I'm in the process of backing up the majority of stuff on my computer, and when I RAR'd My Documents, I didn't look to see that it was as huge as it is. The DVDs I have are 4.7 GB, and the archive itself is 12.6 GB so I need to split it into multiple different RARs. I don't want to re-rar it, because it took about 4 hours for it to RAR everything into one archive.

Is there any way to split it?

RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by Gonçalo F. on 12-10-2007 at 07:02 PM

there's no way to split but you can re-rar it with zero compression ratio (compression method: store) and split the file into 4gb volumes. it only takes some minutes.

RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by RebelSean on 12-10-2007 at 07:14 PM

If I can split the file once I re-compress the documents with zero compression ratio, then why can't I split the current archive? Just curious.

RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by Eljay on 12-10-2007 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
If I can split the file once I re-compress the documents with zero compression ratio, then why can't I split the current archive? Just curious.

He doesn't mean recompressing all of the existing documents, he means "compressing" (in quotes because it won't get any smaller at all :P) the rar file you have already made.
RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by andrewdodd13 on 12-10-2007 at 07:26 PM

You can use a multi-purpose splitter such as one here.

You need to use the program to rejoin the file on the other end though.

RE: RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by rav0 on 12-10-2007 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
You need to use the program to rejoin the file on the other end though.
Yep, if you do this to a rar file, Winrar can't open it until you rejoin it.

To the original problem, Winrar won't let you make parts from a single archive. If you make the archive again, then you can choose to make it in parts. You said that recreating the archive will take too long. If when you recreate it you choose to use no compression ("store only") it will be much, much faster. The total size of the resulting rarparts will be the nearly same as the files contained within, not saving you any space, but you will have advantages like datestamps and such still.
RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by Jimbo on 12-10-2007 at 11:10 PM

How do people split them into .r00 and .r01 etc in torrents then, all you need is winrar to put them back together

RE: RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by pollolibredegrasa on 12-10-2007 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
How do people split them into .r00 and .r01 etc in torrents then, all you need is winrar to put them back together
Because when making the archive originally in WinRar, you have the option to split it. The problem is you can't split an archive that already exists without re-archiving it, unless you use some other software to do this which is what you'd have to use to put it back together again.
RE: RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by rav0 on 12-10-2007 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
read my post, I added it just before you added yours

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79...d=872269#pid872269
RE: Can I split a .RAR file? by MicroWay on 12-10-2007 at 11:32 PM

I have an Idea!!!!
Simply remove the extention of the file....
Than go to WinRar, go to the folder of the file, select it and click on "Add".. It'll open the RAR options and than selct it to Split.... You can change the Coprension Metohd too...
;)

PS: When decompressed, you will need to put the ".rar" back to decompress the "original" file... but....