Shoutbox

Willz Skinning Guide - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Willz Skinning Guide (/showthread.php?tid=79906)

Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 01:20 AM

Well guys I have started writing up the essential skinning guide for all you people out there wanting to learn how to skin.

I know that I won't be skinning for much longer so I figure share the knowledge instead of having it become lost.

Anyway I'm going to cover everything I can and start releasing a series of articles which will help in the skinning process. If there are experienced skinners who want to lend me a hand then please leave me a message :P

I would also like to get this guide translated to other languages, so if anyone is willing please leave a message here :)

Willz Skinning Guide - English

1: Introduction to Skinning Download
2: Your First Plus Skin Download
3: Dealing with RLE's Download
4: The Windows Live Messenger 8.5 Resource Bible Download
5: Controlling The Layout of Elements Coming Soon

Willz Skinning Guide - Greek
Translation: Basilis Kakaronis

1: Introduction to Skinning Download
2: Your First Plus Skin Download

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by tony on 12-11-2007 at 01:22 AM

Excellent, it will be a nice way to learn the "advanced" way of the skinning side.

why you are not going to skin any longer? are you getting married or something :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 01:24 AM

Well I just finished university and I got to start looking for a proper job now. Once I have the job I really don't know how things are gonna be so I doubt I will have time to skin anymore.

Nothings for sure now so I have to let things play themselves out and see what happens. Besides even if I'm not fully skinning I'm sure I'll still be around helping others get their skins out :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Nathan on 12-11-2007 at 01:26 AM

* Nathan raises his hand.
:p

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 01:34 AM

Well for starters what I could use is some translators, since I wouldn't want to exclude people who don't speak english from this information.

So far i've just started on the introduction, which is covering taking a look at msgsres.dll and how things work (yeah I know plus has made it so you dont have to touch this anymore, but I feel that people need to look to understand how things really work)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Nagamasa on 12-11-2007 at 01:36 AM

* Nagamasa will definitely read!

This would be a good idea for noob computerists like me as I can barely understand how everything works blah blah blah...

Perhaps include a table of certain parts like "Background - ID 123456".

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 01:41 AM

OK :P but i expect skin dedications to me after all this :P

haha nah just kidding, though if you really wanna you can ;)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by kezz on 12-11-2007 at 01:42 AM

Great idea Willz, this will help make skinning a more accessible feature for all. With more people that know how to skin, more skins will be available and more customization for MP!L

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by NanaFreak on 12-11-2007 at 01:43 AM

awesome, i will certainly read these!

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ipab on 12-11-2007 at 02:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
OK :P but i expect skin dedications to me after all this :P

haha nah just kidding, though if you really wanna you can ;)

and me too :P...

meh, I have a couple of things in mind of this, but willz and I are still discussing this so only time will tell whether we implement this or not :).
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Aardvark on 12-11-2007 at 03:18 AM

Skinning?!?! :O
Guide?!?! :O
Willz might not be skinning anymore?!?! :O

Sounds SWEET!!!! Except for the last part :(

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by raghav on 12-11-2007 at 06:05 AM

That'll be great but you might not be skinning anymore :( ... what about Ev0 4 ? :p

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 10:31 AM

Well here is the first part in the series I will be writing up. Its an introduction to skinning.

This section covers Messengers resource structure as well as some handy information on UIFIles. It includes a table which shows what each UIFile does so that people know what to edit.

So yeah here it is. Any comments appreciated.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Matti on 12-11-2007 at 10:33 AM

Ooh... a skinning guide! Too bad we'll probably lose a great skinner like you, Willz. :( But it's an awesome idea to make a guide for all of us, so we can continue your work! ;)

I can do the Dutch translation when I get home. ;)

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Ooh... a skinning guide! Too bad we'll probably lose a great skinner like you, Willz. :( But it's an awesome idea to make a guide for all of us, so we can continue your work! ;)

I can do the Dutch translation when I get home. ;)

Awesome that would really help. Thanks. Ill try to write these guides up when I can. Im gonna try and cover everything I know.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by freak544 on 12-11-2007 at 11:17 AM

Nice first part of the guide I have had a quick read through it and it will be really helpful to me

Thank you

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Phillip on 12-11-2007 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by freak544
Nice first part of the guide I have had a quick read through it and it will be really helpful to me

Thank you
x2

In the first section;
"It’s getting to the point where I know won’t be skinning"
needs to be fixed. Well it doesn't have to be but you know what I mean

RE: RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:

Thank you
x2

In the first section;
"It’s getting to the point where I know won’t be skinning"
needs to be fixed. Well it doesn't have to be but you know what I mean

Yeah if theres like errors in it I'm sorry :P I only just proof read it and I think my brain was too tired to register some of the mistakes :P

Ill fix the major mistakes and repost when I put up the next one.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Dempsey on 12-11-2007 at 12:04 PM

The guide should be very useful!  great job!   

Would you mind if I put the guide up on mpskins.net once its done?  With credits of course?

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-11-2007 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
The guide should be very useful!  great job!   

Would you mind if I put the guide up on mpskins.net once its done?  With credits of course?

Well I want to see if this guide can be put up alongside the official documentation in the skins database. But of course I have to get the permission first.

If I can't then yeah I have no problem with it.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by John Anderton on 12-11-2007 at 01:27 PM

Can't wait for a tut. Gogogo! :D

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Menthix on 12-11-2007 at 02:31 PM

Looks great so far, can't wait to see the rest of it.

quote:
put up alongside the official documentation in the skins database.
There is an idea to put up good quality skinning tutorials on the site, the official documentation will probably link to that place and accessible from the skins db. We just need a few good tutorials to kick of that section.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by absorbation on 12-11-2007 at 04:46 PM

messenger-skins.net was a fantastic forum with great tutorials when I was into my skinning. It's a shame that domain was never renewed :(

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ipab on 12-12-2007 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
messenger-skins.net was a fantastic forum with great tutorials when I was into my skinning. It's a shame that domain was never renewed :(

I'm bring back something along those lines :p

Site back end is complete, I just need willz to finish the layout and then I'll put it up :).
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-12-2007 at 11:09 AM

Part 2 of the guide should be out sometime tomorrow.

This will feature a rundown of SkinInfo.xml as well as some handy things to look out for for newbie skinners and more useful tables to refer to.

The infamous Multilayer MSNRLE trap will also be covered. So stay tuned to this space for more.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Patchou on 12-12-2007 at 06:03 PM

(Y)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by CookieRevised on 12-12-2007 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Well here is the first part in the series I will be writing up. Its an introduction to skinning.
[snipped]
Any comments appreciated.
- Its Messenger Plus! 4.50, not 4.5 ...
- Isn't the plural of DLL, EXE, etc DLLs, EXEs? Not DLL's, EXE's..... (I always mix those up)
- and for clarity, its "Resource Hacker", not "Reshack"

;) that's all

(y)
RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-12-2007 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
[snipped]
Any comments appreciated.
- Its Messenger Plus! 4.50, not 4.5 ...
- Isn't the plural of DLL, EXE, etc DLLs, EXEs? Not DLL's, EXE's..... (I always mix those up)
- and for clarity, its "Resource Hacker", not "Reshack"

;) that's all

(y)

Noted, fixed, thanks :P
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by aNILEator on 12-12-2007 at 11:33 PM

Yes 's cannot be used to signify plurals :)

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by TheSteve on 12-13-2007 at 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Yes 's cannot be used to signify plurals :)
<OFFTOPIC>
Technically speaking it signifies possessiveness or a contraction unless used with a pronoun :P
</OFFTOPIC>

Looks good Willz! :)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by John Anderton on 12-13-2007 at 08:40 PM

Link to the tuts on the first post would be awesome :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 12-14-2007 at 08:34 PM

i read through the first section it really helped, i have been wondering all week (since Sunday 09/12/2007) where the toast resources were, i checked every folder in the consolidated folder and couldnt find anything that looked even remotely like a toast, then this comes along and now i know its all in windows 921, now i can experiment with toasts this weekend yay.

thanks wills i look forward to more sections, by the way maybe when complete it might be an idea to put it all together as a cfm file i think thats the right extension you know like the skinning docs are done in so you can click through the branches to the section you want to look up.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-15-2007 at 12:07 AM

lol so much fuss over 4.5 and 4.50 :P

Anyway I have updated the first post to have the tutorial. Also the first tutorial has been revised and changed a little bit so you will notice a few changes .

2nd one is nearly there, it would have been done earlier but people are asking me to do stuff left right and center at the moment (not just skinning :P)

*Edit

Tutorial #2 up now. Please see first post.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Keikonium on 12-15-2007 at 11:48 PM

Thanks Willz! I will give it a look thru. I love the tables you have made, they were really useful for finding the correct folder and files to edit to change specific parts of the tutorial.

I was wondering if you have an ETA for a tutorial on how to change toasts? I have gotten it how I want it except the background which is horribly stretched @_@.

Thanks again :).

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Nagamasa on 12-15-2007 at 11:52 PM

Yea Willz it seems really useful :D. Cannot wait for the stuff that I phail at doing...!

However, I must say I graduated from learning the basics of SkinInfo.xml.

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-15-2007 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
Thanks Willz! I will give it a look thru. I love the tables you have made, they were really useful for finding the correct folder and files to edit to change specific parts of the tutorial.

I was wondering if you have an ETA for a tutorial on how to change toasts? I have gotten it how I want it except the background which is horribly stretched @_@.

Thanks again :).

Well they way I am planning it is this:

Next tutorial covers making new resources and how you can control definition files to lay out  things the way you want it to.

The one after will cover resources and the sign in window

and then I suppose the next one would be toasts and the contact list.

No ETA though as I got my hands tied with other stuff atm.

Edit*

And yes I know the basics of SkinInfo.xml may be very simple, but it is necessary to cover it to prepare those who don't know it. Plus I'm sure most people would find the information on multi-layered MSNRLE files very useful, since 4 out 5 people make the mistake thats outlined there :P
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 12-24-2007 at 07:46 PM

in christmas theme of mine and jasons skin we have white text for names of contact groups but the default text colour of the contact names in the groups is black how do i change that to white?

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Morpheus88 on 12-25-2007 at 12:16 PM

hi willz i'm a noob but your guide help me a lot
i'm waiting for the third part!!!!
sorry for bad english

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 12-30-2007 at 11:28 PM

A bit of silence for a while, but I guess I'll just put what I am up to.

Christmas and New Years is a hectic time so having the time to write up this stuff is becoming hard (I'm sure I don't have to explain why :P)

Anyway at the current moment I am up to making part 3, which is Multi Layer RLE file replacements and how to deal with them.

And on the side, part 4, which I'm sure most of you will love.

Part 4 will the the complete 8.5 resource table organized by UIFile with an explanation of each resources purpose and any restrictions you should know of. This is to save you the headaches I had when learning skinning.

Additionally it covers the files Plus does not decrypt yet and resources that are not referenced in any style or definition but are still used.

These two guides should launch by the end of the first week of the new year and I will upload them to designevolved.net which is going through a bit of cosmetic surgery at the moment.

Anyway happy new year to all and I will see you all next year.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by vaccination on 12-30-2007 at 11:34 PM

Looking forward to #4, good work (Y)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by freak544 on 12-30-2007 at 11:56 PM

Cool keep up the good work and I hope you had a good christmas and hope you have a fun time over new years

I hope everyone has fun over new years

Let't party

Happy new year everyone (I know its a bit early but I might not be on late tomorrow night as having a lil party so doubt I will get to my laptop)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by High Speed Chaser on 12-31-2007 at 04:39 AM

I can't wait Willz. Keep up the good work because a lot of people including me need the rest of the guide.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 12-31-2007 at 05:53 AM

looking forward to it willz sounds just like what i could do with.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ryxdp on 12-31-2007 at 06:13 AM

The .plsk link at the end of #2 doesn't appear to work anymore :o I get a 404. But probably just as well, the site (as you have said) is being redone...

I really liked those blue icons :( but I guess I could make my own :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Basilis on 01-05-2008 at 04:27 PM

When will the third part of this nice guide be ready? I can;t wait to read it!

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by freak544 on 01-06-2008 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
When will the third part of this nice guide be ready? I can;t wait to read it!

It will be released soon don't forget that people also do have lives to live
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 01-12-2008 at 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
The .plsk link at the end of #2 doesn't appear to work anymore :o I get a 404. But probably just as well, the site (as you have said) is being redone...

I really liked those blue icons :( but I guess I could make my own :P

Yeah I've been working really hard on updating designevolved.net with ipab to make it into something that people will want to visit frequently. It is the main reason why I haven't finished part 3 and 4 yet.

I'll try to get another part out real soon, just can't say when.

anyway the plsk file for the second tutorial is up at this link:

http://designevolved.net/tutorials/My First Skin.plsk

** Update **

The 3rd tutorial has been uploaded and is now available for download. I am still compiling the 4th one (its an insanely long one :P) so that should be out fairly soon.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-12-2008 at 01:10 PM

thanks willz like the 3rd tutorial but i do have a question, when replacing buddy images you only covered the contact listso what about when i click the online button next to my nickname in the dashboard itll still use the original images yeah? so how does one change them to, also can you add in custom status images for your messenger plus personalised status's?

just a few things i thought i should ask.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by freak544 on 01-12-2008 at 01:11 PM

interesting 3rd part i am sure this could be helpful to me in the future

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Spunky on 01-12-2008 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
thanks willz like the 3rd tutorial but i do have a question, when replacing buddy images you only covered the contact listso what about when i click the online button next to my nickname in the dashboard itll still use the original images yeah? so how does one change them to, also can you add in custom status images for your messenger plus personalised status's?

Did you replace the statuspill images in the 923 definitions?

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-12-2008 at 01:39 PM

at present i only read the tutorial, it seemed pretty simple though, all i wouldnt of known was how to declare each state seperately in the uifiles so it was helpful in that respect everything else i had already picked up in developing the 365 skin with jason.

i did hope it would be as easy as doing the same to the statuspill in 923 styles file but as willz didnt specifically mention it i wasnt 100% sure if that would work or if theres any other places i might encounter the status icons that i need to be aware of.

EDIT:

me and jason are going to attempt to add what we have learned from this tutorial into the 365 skin im just waiting on him to come back to me with the custom images, im good at bigger images like backgrounds simple gradients etc, he is good at adding cool graphical elements to backgrounds and making the smaller images like the icons in 90 & 94 and custom buttons like our skinops button.

you see we have now gotten to a point in our working as a team where we now know which areas of skinning we each excel at and plan our skins developement workload accordingly.

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 01-12-2008 at 11:54 PM

quote:

Ok the nickname dashboard one, is not the 46611 resource (yeah Microsoft is confusing with their resources but what can you do? :P). Those buddy images are controlled by resource 591, which is a normal png that you can just edit and replace.

I should make it clear that the method outlined in the tutorial should only be carried out if the original image is a multi-layer MSNRLE.

As for the plus custom status ones I don't think thats entirely possible since there is too many variables that can occur in something like that (though if someone knows a way then please correct me)

On a side note the first tutorial is now available in Greek thanks to Basilis.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-13-2008 at 07:42 AM

ok thanks willz

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by sulasno on 01-14-2008 at 10:33 AM

can anyone give me an idea of the various size of the icons to be used?

and a link where I can download some icons ?

thanks

I think I should be able to create a simple skin after the 3 tutorials;
thanks Willz

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by vikke on 01-14-2008 at 03:09 PM

16x16, 19x19 or 32x32 pixels depending on which icon.

Download icons anywhere from the internet (make sure you have the rights to use it), http://www.google.com/search?q=free+icons.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Basilis on 01-14-2008 at 04:31 PM

Willz. I want to inform you that the translation will take me some time because it is very time-consuming and I am going to school.But I wll do my best to have it complete very soon.Just wanted to mention it.

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 01-18-2008 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Willz. I want to inform you that the translation will take me some time because it is very time-consuming and I am going to school.But I wll do my best to have it complete very soon.Just wanted to mention it.

Hey its all good. I know exactly how time consuming school is so do not stress too much about it. Anyway thanks for the 2nd part translation.

Ive updated the post now to reflect this.

4th part is now going through some revisions. It is the most time consuming one of all :P Like insanely time consuming ( I don't think I have ever written that much ever)

Just to give you an idea of what to expect from the almighty part 4 :P It's at 249 pages at the moment. And it covers every single resource known to 8.5, with explanations and comments as well as nice extras such as content indexes, vista equivalents etc.

I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible so please bear with me. But I do expect a solid gold statue built in my honor when it is up and done :P
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-18-2008 at 05:48 AM

wow and thats just part 4? who knows how many more parts there will be & how many pages those will each be? so yeah considering that by the time the guide is fully constructed youll probably have written maybe a good 1000 pages or so i dont think your solid gold status saying something like "skinning guide creator" is unreasonable, but hey its not up to me lol

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by blessedguy on 01-18-2008 at 12:14 PM

Very nice explanation!
but...when I do that Min,Max,Close buttons change at the Style 45710, the messenger takes much longer to log in and doesn't open the add contact tab!
There isn't anything wrong with it...I compared the part I edited with the original one (It would be the original Min,Max,Close and the edited one), and they're almost the same (the difference is that the edited one does that ContentIndex thing).
I'm sure the code is right...because I copied from my other styles...are you sure that 45710 Style can be edited?
Thanks

Edit
(Oh...and when will the Part 4 come out?? I'm loving this guide!)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Basilis on 01-18-2008 at 05:50 PM

I have to tell you that I couldn't think how big the 4th part would be. Is it 249 pages with pictures or just lines? I think this translation will be a nightmare. lol :)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 01-28-2008 at 06:53 AM

Part 4 to the skinning guide is now released. Enjoy.

Willz.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ryxdp on 01-28-2008 at 07:53 AM

Thanks for the guides Willz! Keep it up (Y)

Yay part 4! This should be useful...

* ryxdp schemes

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by aNILEator on 01-28-2008 at 08:12 AM

yeah willz is using some dodgy salesmen tactics to try and get a userbase for his forum

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 01-28-2008 at 08:20 AM

lol shhh :P this isn't a permanent thing I plan to do its just until we are well established. Once that happens I'll remove the registered requirement on the tutorials section.

Cut me some slack :P 249 pages of writing :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ryxdp on 01-28-2008 at 08:31 AM

* ryxdp winks at Willz

I get you not really.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Basilis on 01-28-2008 at 01:51 PM

Congrats Willz. Keep up the good work

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Sunshine on 01-28-2008 at 03:10 PM

Bah at having to register at the site...

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Menthix on 01-28-2008 at 03:17 PM

249 pages :o:bow:!!

* Menthix should make the tutorial section on msgpluslive.net

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Spunky on 01-28-2008 at 05:47 PM

Registration might put people off downloading it though. I can see why you would want to do it though

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-28-2008 at 06:22 PM

im confused why would toasts ever have scrollbars?

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Nathan on 01-28-2008 at 06:49 PM

When there's too much content in the toast box?`

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by freak544 on 01-28-2008 at 06:54 PM

I have never seen a toast box with scrollbars and doesn't it get cut down with dots (...) to fit things in the toast box??

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-28-2008 at 06:58 PM

quote:
I have never seen a toast box with scrollbars and doesn't it get cut down with dots (...) to fit things in the toast box??

yeah thats what i thought to?
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Spunky on 01-28-2008 at 07:27 PM

quote:

They are probably just defined in the UI files, so Willz put them in to be accurate.

As to why WLM left them in; probably laziness and re-using files and changing main content
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 01-28-2008 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:

They are probably just defined in the UI files, so Willz put them in to be accurate.

As to why WLM left them in; probably laziness and re-using files and changing main content

but that suggests there was a time when toasts had scrollbars, ive been using messenger since probably about version 6 and i have never ever seen scrollbars in toasts ever.
RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 02-02-2008 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:

Yeah thats right. Look the reason they are in there is because they are referenced. But just because they are referenced does not mean they are actually used at one point.

The messenger team would obviously have a UI tool which creates a template for them when they are making the interface and its more than likely that scrollbars are included in all their templates.

And for the people complaining about registration :P like I said when the sites going smoothly (which it kind of is) I'll remove the registration requirement on tutorials.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Matti on 02-03-2008 at 10:29 AM

Woa, damn Willz. Just downloaded the 4th part and I'm stunned of the amount of unused and obsolete resources Microsoft left in the program. No wonder the file size of the setup goes so high! :O

Very, very, very nice work! (y)(y)(y)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by blessedguy on 02-06-2008 at 01:23 PM

phew...that will help a LOT !! But...why doesnt MS just clean up their unused images?!! There is so much junk there... Thanks for the guide, willz!!

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by emonslayer on 02-10-2008 at 01:42 PM

hi willz i saw something in part 4 that confused me the text in question is as follows.

quote:
This image also has a vista equivalent please add a replace with a source of “msgvsta” as well as your standard replace.

now i have seen this against a few images that ive replaced but dont know how to do this msgvista thing so ive only coded in the normal replace so far if you could elaborate on how the msgvista thing is done then i can add to next version of my skin.

thanks in advance willz

EDIT:

i also noticed that in Evo you change resource 1489 the show menus button so instead of being on the tollbars with colorise and the other buttons it became an FLWMenuBtn how can i do that in my skin with my own images?
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by jerem-skin on 02-11-2008 at 04:54 PM

Hello, I've found your messenger skins, and it's a verry beautyfull skin!

I've Just a little question.

How are you converted you'r PNG files to MSNRLE ?

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Jerem.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by vikke on 02-16-2008 at 11:20 PM

He's using a tool which has not been released to the public. It's a program capable of generating MSNRLEs, it is not MSRLE2PNG (becuase that converts MSNRLE to PNG).

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by blessedguy on 02-17-2008 at 01:30 PM

Thanks for explaining that "msgvista" part...
But...I've used your Evo skin (very nice, by the way), and I think I've seen some pictures that glow when going to active from inactive, and also there are pictures that change from active from inactive, I've tried worlds of codes to do that...but I still can't get those effects...could you please tell how to do it or how to begin doin' it?

Thanks anyway

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 02-17-2008 at 01:39 PM

Those animations are controlled by messenger, there are tags you can use to call different kinds of animations but they are really bad. Like they do not work on everything as they should.

In some cases you have to restructure a button just to get the effect you want. It's a bit much to explain just like this so yeah. But the easiest way of doing it is like this:

Button[Class="TransparentButton"]
{
Background:rcclr(20017);
ContentAlign:MiddleCenter|EndEllipsis;
Tooltip:True;
Alpha:100;
Animation:Log|Alpha|VerySlow;
}
Button[Class="TransparentButton"][MouseWithin]
{
Background:rcbkd(20201);
Alpha:255;
Animation:Log|Alpha|fast;
}

You set a lower alpha for the state you want to animate and then use the Animation:Log|Alpha|fast; tag to animate it. But yeah the problem is that alpha changing affects child elements (including icons) So its hard to control it properly.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by blessedguy on 02-17-2008 at 01:43 PM

Hmm...i'll try it and see if it stays nice
Thanks a lot!!

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by jerem-skin on 02-17-2008 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
He's using a tool which has not been released to the public. It's a program capable of generating MSNRLEs, it is not MSRLE2PNG (becuase that converts MSNRLE to PNG).

Ah oki shame that this is not public this might serve me for my skin "Me To You"
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Nagamasa on 03-02-2008 at 11:14 PM

Hey Willz, something to make a Guide about in the near future is the SkinOps Panel, as the documentation doesn't go much in depth about it...and the fact that they're useful in almost every skin :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-03-2008 at 05:47 AM

actually nagamasa i started writing a tutorial for the skin options panel a few weeks ago i just hadnt gotten round to finishing it, if it is a popular request i could always send it to willz once completed for him to either include in the skinning guide if he wishes or as a seperate tutorial download on designevolved.net, i will keep you guys posted on this guides developement.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Freaky_Clown on 03-06-2008 at 06:42 AM

when im in xml and want to start a new skin i go to new then a box pops up and up the top of the box it says create new document and inside the box it says select the type of document you wish to create and there is a list of all the document types which one do i choose?

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by blessedguy on 03-06-2008 at 04:41 PM

choose .xml if it has, or all files and type the name of the file with the extension .xml

For the skininfo for example, Save as... SkinInfo.xml
                                              File Type: All Files

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by evilkitty75 on 03-07-2008 at 02:36 PM

Hiya i just have begun o find it had i thought it wld b soo easy as i make skins for other sites but i will carry on tryin until i do it!;) n thx for this document babs ^-^

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by blessedguy on 03-07-2008 at 05:42 PM

Willz, why don't you include a guide with Basic and Advanced options, like the ones we need to add restrictions to make them work?
I'm really looking forward to see what will be on next guide!!
(the last time I followed your hints, my skin reached rating 3.7)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by evilkitty75 on 03-08-2008 at 04:47 PM

grrrrrrrrrrrrr hey willz aint there a simplyfied verson o the tutorial for like dummies hehehe kuz i need it!! :$;)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Quantum on 03-08-2008 at 05:06 PM

No. What are you not understanding? Feel free to post it on the forum.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 03-09-2008 at 03:26 AM

Well I tried to explain everything as simple as possible, but the one thing that can't be helped is the fact you gotta know xml basic and css basic if you really want to get anywhere.

In terms of the options panel thing, well I have an idea up my sleeve that may help lift the standard of skins. Not gonna say much on it because its not a sure thing. Don't want to get peoples hopes up ;)

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by judit on 03-22-2008 at 05:12 PM

so, fist step has been done with  finding  you guys  before doing anything stupid .. just 2 days ago  i was  asking from someone  what's  skin is to messenger :) now i'm reading about  it and  already use Ev0 for my first skin  i hope i can find someone  who has a lot of patient to help me on my way to "CREATE":) my own skins as i totaly don't konw  almost nothing about  it ..  (L) kiss

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-22-2008 at 07:02 PM

hey everyone, i have just typed up a basic guide to creating option panels and about boxes, i have attached it to this post, if willz wants to use it in the skinning guide he is welcome to do so, if not i hope it will at least help get people started on making option panels and about boxes.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Basilis on 03-22-2008 at 07:57 PM

Great work stuartbennett. This will help a lot of people.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by absorbation on 03-22-2008 at 07:58 PM

It's great to see other articles being made too :).

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-22-2008 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Great work stuartbennett. This will help a lot of people.

your welcome basilis, both custom option panels and about boxes were an absolute nightmare for me, i know what its like to want to do these things and to have nobody to turn to for help so i felt it important that i write that particular guide myself to help others get passed the hurdles that gave me hell, so i hopoe everyone enjoys the guide.

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
It's great to see other articles being made too :).

i agree with you absorbation, it is nice to see other guides being made by other skinners and not just relying on willz to do all the different guides, so i am glad i could chip in, i know that as of late willz is very busy so maybe if me and other skinners can contribute some guides that willz hasnt made yet to help him out a bit it could be beneficial to the whole community, not only that but if the guides we make are good enough willz might even add them into the skinning guide later on.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Nagamasa on 03-22-2008 at 08:16 PM

I believe you might be able to get this into the Skins Database as a resource thing, as Patchou said something about the Resources section of the database. :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-22-2008 at 08:33 PM

true, however i would have thought he would want it in .chm format for that section, also to be honest although i think i have done a reasonable job of covering the basics i would have thought a guide worthy of the resources section might need to be a little more in depth than the one i have written.

i am happy to submit it though if everyone thinks it would be acceptable.

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by vikke on 03-22-2008 at 08:40 PM

quote:
true, however i would have thought he would want it in .chm format for that section, also to be honest although i think i have done a reasonable job of covering the basics i would have thought a guide worthy of the resources section might need to be a little more in depth than the one i have written.

i am happy to submit it though if everyone thinks it would be acceptable.
I would really appreciate proper punctuation in your posts/tutorials, it makes them easier to read and to understand.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-22-2008 at 09:17 PM

sorry about that Vikke, i have gone back through my tutorial, i have redone the punctuation, i have also set all the instruction text to be a different colou to the code so you can easily identify what is code and what is my normal text.

i have uploaded the modified file to replace the previous one on the same post, i hope that the tutorial is now more acceptable.

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by vikke on 03-22-2008 at 09:48 PM

quote:
sorry about that Vikke, i have gone back through my tutorial, i have redone the punctuation, i have also set all the instruction text to be a different colou to the code so you can easily identify what is code and what is my normal text.

i have uploaded the modified file to replace the previous one on the same post, i hope that the tutorial is now more acceptable.
Thanks, it looks much better. Good work. :)
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-22-2008 at 09:58 PM

thanks Vikke, i am looking into making this tutorial a little more comprehensive in the near future, the current version is only a basic overview, may need to talk to aNILEator about maybe integrating his forum based tut on hiding elements into this, as it is closely related.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ResourcE on 03-27-2008 at 11:01 PM

Someone please help me, I can't download the Resource Bible From WILLZ ... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ???:(:S:(

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Menthix on 03-27-2008 at 11:28 PM

You have to register on Willz' forum and be logged in there before you can download it.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ResourcE on 03-28-2008 at 02:07 PM

Hey,can please somebody help me,i've registered on the forum of designevolved.net but i still can't download the Resource Bible form Willz, if someone has it,please send it to benny_xh@hotmail.com

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-28-2008 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ResourcE
Hey,can please somebody help me,i've registered on the forum of designevolved.net but i still can't download the Resource Bible form Willz, if someone has it,please send it to benny_xh@hotmail.com

as requested i have emailed this to you.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Cherry_Blossom on 03-31-2008 at 03:09 PM

hi erm I was trying to download this bit and it came up with some forum and no sign of the download???

oh opss can i have it too?

*Email removed* had some weirdo bloke telling me i should delete it so bit freaked out

thanks x

Could the person who quoted me remove it too?
RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ResourcE on 03-31-2008 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry_Blossom
hi erm I was trying to download this bit and it came up with some forum and no sign of the download???

Hey,i know, i had the same problem,but,give me ur e-mail and i'll send it to you ;)
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Basilis on 03-31-2008 at 03:51 PM

Her e-mail is just above your post. ;)

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ResourcE on 03-31-2008 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Her e-mail is just above your post. ;)

Ou :$:S ... I'm starting to get blind,and I'm just 14 :S :P
Hey,I'm making my new skin,I think i'll do it for this week ... but ... I think :D
RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-31-2008 at 05:02 PM

quote:
oh opss can i have it too?

jaymie_crawford@hotmail.co.uk

thanks x

ok i have emailed it to you, ive sent you all 4 parts of willz skinning guide plus my tutorial on creating skin options panels and about boxes. i hope you enjoy. oh i recommend joining www.designevolved.net that is that forum you got when you clicked the links above if you register on there forums and go to the downloads section and go into miscellanious all the skinning guides are kept their just for future reference.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Cherry_Blossom on 03-31-2008 at 05:14 PM

ok hun thanks so much had a lil read and already confused but hey will keep at it x

RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide by ResourcE on 03-31-2008 at 05:30 PM

quote:
ok hun thanks so much had a lil read and already confused but hey will keep at it x

IIf u want to understand them better,read first about .xml files. Then read all the MsgPlus Live Skinning Guide.

Then Just when You Read something that you wan't to do,read than write,practise,and you are going to remember them easily ;)
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 03-31-2008 at 05:43 PM

yes read skinning docs first then willz guides, once youve done all that youll know enough to follow my tut. i hope to see something from you soon its always good to see what young enthusiastic skinners can come up with.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Cherry_Blossom on 03-31-2008 at 06:17 PM

cool thanks guys. I wanna make the skin i requested but might take a while lol

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Dempsey on 04-13-2008 at 06:41 PM

You can now view Willz Skinning Guide online at http://mpskins.net/tutorials/

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Menthix on 04-13-2008 at 07:47 PM

You could already view Willz Skinning Guide online at http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/resources/#tutorials :p

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 04-13-2008 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
You could already view Willz Skinning Guide online at http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/resources/#tutorials :p

menthix based on that analogy mpskins.net in and of itself is pointless as pretty much everything that is offered there is offered here, however as the site does exist and is essentially an alternative resource it only seems fair that it mirror this sites tutorials too.

just my 2 cents on the matter.
RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Menthix on 04-13-2008 at 08:04 PM

:s I didn't mean anything by it, was just mentioning it since i haven't linked to it in this topic yet.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 04-14-2008 at 04:51 AM

oh ok menthix no problem, sorry for getting wrong end of the stick.

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by Willz on 04-14-2008 at 06:34 AM

psssh you guys and your alternate links :P I will be taking time off soon to update Design Evolved again and get it up to scratch with the guides and I'll probably write some new ones up while I'm at it just so Design Evolved has stuff the other sites doesn't :P

I've been really busy lately so I haven't had time to write something up, its not easy trying to juggle a whole bunch of things at once :P

RE: Willz Skinning Guide by stuartbennett on 04-14-2008 at 05:09 PM

fair enough willz i look forward to seeing these new guides you mention, but seriously man cant hurt to stop and take a day off now and then, even god made sure he never worked 24/7.