Shoutbox

games in virtual machine - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: games in virtual machine (/showthread.php?tid=79956)

games in virtual machine by Jarrod on 12-12-2007 at 04:21 AM

i wanted to play red alert 2 the otherday so installed xp sp1 on my virtual machine, (it doesn't seem to like sp2 setup.exe just crashes) so i installed it alright but when i lauch it the spash screen shows and where the game gould normally launch it just covers the screen muticoloured lines, is there anyway i can get it to work, if u can tell me how to get it to install in sp2 that will do also

RE: games in virtual machine by prashker on 12-12-2007 at 09:58 PM

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/View.php?view=TechTroopers.Detail&id=7

RE: games in virtual machine by Ezra on 12-12-2007 at 10:04 PM

Virtual Machine's don't have DirectX support right?

RE: games in virtual machine by Jarrod on 12-13-2007 at 10:35 AM

oh ok thanx i didn't no that,
shouldn't it say please install dx then?

RE: games in virtual machine by ShawnZ on 12-13-2007 at 01:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
oh ok thanx i didn't no that,
shouldn't it say please install dx then?

no, because you can't just install directx and have it magically change your graphics card to one that supports directx
RE: games in virtual machine by Jarrod on 12-13-2007 at 08:43 PM

righteo it's because they don't have graphics card support not they don't have direct x support

RE: games in virtual machine by ShawnZ on 12-14-2007 at 02:03 AM

quote:
righteo it's because they don't have graphics card support not they don't have direct x support

uh, its because their graphics card doesn't have directx support
RE: games in virtual machine by owenw on 12-14-2007 at 03:08 AM

quote:
i wanted to play red alert 2 the otherday so installed xp sp1 on my virtual machine, (it doesn't seem to like sp2 setup.exe just crashes) so i installed it alright but when i lauch it the spash screen shows and where the game gould normally launch it just covers the screen muticoloured lines, is there anyway i can get it to work, if u can tell me how to get it to install in sp2 that will do also

You could try VMWare, not sure if that has DirectX support, but it should do aye.

Oh and, btw, I have Red Alert 2 running happily on my XP Pro SP2 Machine.
RE: games in virtual machine by ShawnZ on 12-14-2007 at 03:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owenw
You could try VMWare, not sure if that has DirectX support, but it should do aye.

it doesn't, and it won't do

(in fact, its probably what he's using already)
RE: games in virtual machine by Jarrod on 12-14-2007 at 07:56 AM

yeah it all works now i wasn't doing the shortcut thing that's why it wasn't working,,, i have a copy of eagle red 1.8 if anyone wants it

vmware should have dx support otherwise is dodgy

RE: games in virtual machine by andrewdodd13 on 12-14-2007 at 01:50 PM

Emulating DirectX in a virtual machine would be extremely hard to implement, also, VMWare is cross-platform so there would be no point in DirectX.

To allow DirectX usage, VMWare would have to emulate the exact hardware in your PC, or allow extremely low level access to it... which would be complicated. Like, immensely complicated. I think 8-).

I think that VMWare itself actually emulates an S3 Trio controller, although that might be Virtual PC. One of them uses a proprietary driver specific to the company which allows the window to be resized dynamically.

It would be much easier to try and work out why it's not installing on Windows XP SP2 for you, because it works fine for me.
RE: games in virtual machine by Patchou on 12-14-2007 at 03:47 PM

VMWare has been experimenting with DirectX support for a long time now, you can enable it with a registry key but don't get your hopes too high...

RE: games in virtual machine by Mnjul on 12-14-2007 at 04:26 PM

I think it's modifying the vmx file, manually adding something like mks.enable3d and modifying the video memory size.

You can do that with a linux host because it's pretty much still software enumeration anyway if I get it right.

It's been experimental since VMWare 5.5 whereas I remember 6.0 did not add anything new to this; only dx8 is supported.

Ok, found it:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d.html

RE: RE: games in virtual machine by owenw on 12-16-2007 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Emulating DirectX in a virtual machine would be extremely hard to implement, also, VMWare is cross-platform so there would be no point in DirectX.

To allow DirectX usage, VMWare would have to emulate the exact hardware in your PC, or allow extremely low level access to it... which would be complicated. Like, immensely complicated. I think 8-).

I think that VMWare itself actually emulates an S3 Trio controller, although that might be Virtual PC. One of them uses a proprietary driver specific to the company which allows the window to be resized dynamically.

It would be much easier to try and work out why it's not installing on Windows XP SP2 for you, because it works fine for me.

Yeah, that actually makes sense. The whole idea of VMware is to make a isolated machine that is away from your host operating system..
RE: games in virtual machine by Jarrod on 12-16-2007 at 11:54 AM

yeah I got it I wasn't doing the compadability thing right„, I even got it working over the network with eagle red 1.8 :p pm me if you want a copy. I dare you to find it somewhere else on the net   :)